Site downtime and Forum Upgraded

Official Announcements about the DGR site

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Site downtime and Forum Upgraded

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:58 pm

The recent server downtime and upgrade of the message board was due to problems with some exploits in the previous board code that allowed some malicious scripting to go after the servers.

As it was causing problems for other sites on the same server, the entire DGR account was suspended.

Hopefully the upgraded board code should be more secure, but if it continues to cause problems I have been informed that DGR will be suspended again and the message board pulled.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Site downtime and Forum Upgraded

Postby arowan21 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm

That's no good. This is the best site for disc golf technique on the internet. I run a message board on a site. We update all the time. You might want to look for a rss feed.
"If you have a choice to use any company, if you have a choice to use Innova, discraft, and gateway in your bag, without a doubt you have a competitive advantage over the other players who aren't doing that. Without a doubt." - David McCormack
arowan21
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DGA Squall

Postby tumpsi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:27 am

this new software is just awful :/ it looks like it was designed for kids first time on the internet. all the buttons are in wrong places and both colour options are made of gay rainbows & poop.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tumpsi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:31 am

"view new posts" -button doesn't work like it should. I can clearly see there's some new posts in certain areas, as they are marked in different colour on the basic view. then click "view new posts" and boom: "no topics matched your search criteria" or something like that.

...and I'm having trouble keeping myself logged in. every now and then I'm dropped, and need to log in again -> I can't use the loved " view new posts"anymore :(
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 am

Blake_T wrote:The recent server downtime and upgrade of the message board was due to problems with some exploits in the previous board code that allowed some malicious scripting to go after the servers.

As it was causing problems for other sites on the same server, the entire DGR account was suspended.

Hopefully the upgraded board code should be more secure, but if it continues to cause problems I have been informed that DGR will be suspended again and the message board pulled.

Two questions. Why is the DGR code more problematic than the coding in other forums? And what can we do to help? DGR is a great resource and a valuable online community. What will it take to ensure its continued existence? If money is a factor I'm sure there are a lot of us who will give. But the time to make that need known is now, not after the board gets shut down. Let us know what we can do.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am

Dogma wrote:
Blake_T wrote:The recent server downtime and upgrade of the message board was due to problems with some exploits in the previous board code that allowed some malicious scripting to go after the servers.

Two questions. Why is the DGR code more problematic than the coding in other forums? And what can we do to help? DGR is a great resource and a valuable online community. What will it take to ensure its continued existence? If money is a factor I'm sure there are a lot of us who will give. But the time to make that need known is now, not after the board gets shut down. Let us know what we can do.

I agree with this.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 am

the old board code had to go.

there were 150 accounts per day signing up, like 147 of which were spam bots. there were plenty of other glitches, such as failing to email new accounts when they were approved.

i didn't even know about the problems going on until the entire site was down and i sent an email off to the host asking what was going on.

with the code upgrade it appears that a few of these problems aren't happening anymore.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 am

I've had a lot fewer problems with the new board.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:41 am

i'd like to see a change in line 328 of includes/languages/english/html_includes/default_mando_3m.php

cuz it sucks. :mrgreen:
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Fritz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 am

Ted Damson wrote:i'd like to see a change in line 328 of includes/languages/english/html_includes/default_mando_3m.php

Smiles? or is that the site Theme?

We are working on a new theme, relax.
:P
:twisted:
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby mark12b » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 am

yeah, with this sort of software it's important to stay up to date with the current version, all security updates, etc. phpbb is too big a target for bots and script kiddies to let security issues slide.

the new version has been working great for me, not sure what could be happening with tumpsi -- maybe clearing caches and cookies would help?
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 am

Thumpsi, please delete your cookies, and clear your cache. I've just tried with 3 different browsers and had no problems.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 am

Fritz wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:i'd like to see a change in line 328 of includes/languages/english/html_includes/default_mando_3m.php

Smiles? or is that the site Theme?

We are working on a new theme, relax.
:P
:twisted:

hehe... default_mando_3m.php ... not smilies, not theme... AFAIK there's no Mandos or 3-meter rule on phpBB :D
i mades it up lolz

if y'all need a kickass header graphic, i'm down! i got the files and the smiles to detect and serve.

with my Flash hopes and dreams crushed, i'd still like to see our Favorite Disc field shown below our avatar. quick, before this mr. bungle kick wears off!
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby tumpsi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 am

Fritz wrote:Thumpsi, please delete your cookies, and clear your cache. I've just tried with 3 different browsers and had no problems.

done. I'll report what happens.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Ted Damson wrote:if y'all need a kickass header graphic, i'm down! i got the files and the smiles to detect and serve.

I agree that it needs something...the default is teh lame. :P

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Disc Golf Review Official Announcements