About The DGR Training Assignments

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

About The DGR Training Assignments

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Welcome to the DGR Training Program.

Due to numerous requests and lots of positive feedback at the idea, I have decided to develop a series of drills that will help players develop a complete variety of shots, a well rounded game, and mastery of disc flight characteristics.

I will be breaking these assignements down by week, but feel free to complete any of them at any time and post any questions, comments, things you have learned, etc. in relation to the drills. Some assignments may require purchasing discs, and I will try to leave enough lead time on those for players to pick up things they might need.

Each week's assignment should take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours, depending upon each player's relative strengths and weaknesses.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:45 pm

I will also be adding bonus assignments that shouldn't take more than an hour or two of practice and thus don't deserve their own dedicated week.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

great!

Postby jiwaburst » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:22 pm

good idea.

thanks for spending the time to put this together Blake.

The comments will be fun of people who really try to do these.

(an aside)

I took my next door neighbor to a fund-raising tourney today. He has a few discs and likes playing. He throws a DX eagle for every shot (despite having other discs that could compliment his game). I chose a couple of other rec players to join us on our teecard so that my neighbor would feel comfortable with his game.

Well, we had a fun time, and all these guys wanted to figure out things to do to get better. This'll be a good template to use to offer people a way to think about practicing.

so thanks...
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 pm

:!: :D :!: :D

Blake, these are friggin awesome! I've been doing a good amount of putting practice and open field work, but I never really had any direction...just putt, or go into an open field and throw 50+ 'tee shots' for max distance. I just had my AM3 butt handed to me in a tournament today. Mostly because I couldn't putt, but also because I was forced to play many shots I am unaccustmed to. This kind of practice is just what the doctor ordered.

You sir, are the man. 8)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Thank You Blake!

Postby Discoman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:36 pm

I just got serious and hooked about three weeks ago. I have messed around with some of the more casual varieties of DG Ie. Crack a beer and huck a disc around with a few friends until you lose it or it goes in the basket, but now I get it. I really appreciate the depth of information here. I am natually a powerful thrower, maybe 325 with some random grip and some random run up to a ramdom throw. Not very satisying however when you cannot reproduce the result. I am in the process of rethinking everything and learning it all with some intent. Short arming putts, just figured out this morning what yu menat by pitch, now 20 footers feel more like a sure thing so much more of a sweet spot to hit. I am playing with the grip and hit, mostly sans foot work or just the last step. I am muchmore accurate and can throw 350or so on the field. This is so much more interesting now. I am starting the week one training assigment and will report back with ?'s feedback etc. Thank you again, and you saved me from my natural inclination which would have been to get a bunch of discs just out of excitement, you turned me on instead to how many ways I can learn to trow them!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:33 am

Keep on trucking, next time I head up to De LaVeaga I'll let ya know. (Home course is the Oaks and Cypress at CSUMB/Fort Ord)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Hey Weebl

Postby Discoman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:26 pm

My bro and I are playing csumb this Sat Am. @7:45 care to join?
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Welcome to the DGR Training Program.

Postby Samantha » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:21 am

Hi Blake,

Thanks for updating us regarding the DGR Training Program.

Handling Golf Information
http://www.dougkerchergolf.com
Samantha
Noob

Re: About The DGR Training Assignments

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Blake,
When are you going to post more homework for us...we NEED MORE Super Sekret Technique Jedi(isms)
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments