Caddy-shack

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Caddy-shack

Postby ChUcK » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 pm

I caddied (sp?) for a guy a few weeks ago, and my hyperactive imagination created a few scenarios that could happen with a caddy.

Hmmmm. "caddy" is one of those words where the more you look at it, the stranger it seems, like "sweaty" and "marshmallow".

Anyways, here are a few questions I came up with:

1. Is a caddy allowed to mark his player's lie for him?
2. If the 30 second shot rule is still respected, can a caddy run down the fairway and let his player know what the wind is like closer towards the hole?
3. Can a caddy call a foot-fault, or second one?
4. Can a caddy challenge a score reported by a player? (i.e. when taking scores, player A says 4, nobody but the caddy remembers about the OB penalty stroke, can he say "no, no, you took a 5p, remember your OB shot?" Is that out of line?

Crap- I had a few more but have forgotten them. Does anyone have an interesting story about caddy misconduct and/or a question about caddy etiquette?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: Caddy-shack

Postby black udder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 pm

ChUcK wrote:I caddied (sp?) for a guy a few weeks ago, and my hyperactive imagination created a few scenarios that could happen with a caddy.

Hmmmm. "caddy" is one of those words where the more you look at it, the stranger it seems, like "sweaty" and "marshmallow".

Anyways, here are a few questions I came up with:

1. Is a caddy allowed to mark his player's lie for him?
2. If the 30 second shot rule is still respected, can a caddy run down the fairway and let his player know what the wind is like closer towards the hole?
3. Can a caddy call a foot-fault, or second one?
4. Can a caddy challenge a score reported by a player? (i.e. when taking scores, player A says 4, nobody but the caddy remembers about the OB penalty stroke, can he say "no, no, you took a 5p, remember your OB shot?" Is that out of line?

Crap- I had a few more but have forgotten them. Does anyone have an interesting story about caddy misconduct and/or a question about caddy etiquette?

Interesting... can't say I know answers for sure, but my thoughts:

1. Typically, they carry the bag (on their back), and the player carries the mini. I suppose they could, but then you'd probably be looking for a new caddy pretty soon. "That mo-fo can't even mark his own lie!"

2. Again - wearing a bag, they'd have to take it off, run down the fairway, then run back. I can't imagine any caddy willing to do that.

3. I believe only the players in the group can call a fault.

4. I believe, again, only players can challenge a score. However, if they turn out to be wrong (the player reporting the score), they could be penalized later if it's discovered. I imagine that if that was the case, a caddy might speak up though, in the interest of being honest. I can't imagine a player actually cheating at a tournament, so I'd think it'd be accepted if the player agreed.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby ChUcK » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm interested more in the legal aspects, not the convenience aspect. Different players carry their minis in different places, some more convenient to the caddy than others.

If I was Feldberg's caddy and he was going to give me a percentage of his winnings, and one of the things that would help him win was knowing what the wind is like 300 ft. away, then sure as hell I'd run down there. Then again, that may be a little too much for me, but there are some seriously beta-male types out there who would do this all day even without a cash incentive.

Is there a limit to the number of caddies a player can have? Could he have a water caddy, a disc caddy, and another whose sole job is to support Dave's nutsack with his left hand? Sorry for the silliness, just a random example.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby black udder » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:27 pm

I don't know that any caddy's are getting paid. They're all fans of the game and it's a free pass to see (hopefully) the lead group up close.

Chuck Kennedy would be the rules expert that might know all this...
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Feldberg openly states he pays his caddies 10% of his winnings and encourages other players to follow. Of course, his caddy really earns it since his bag is known to have more than 30 discs in it.

Caddies operate as an extension of the player. A caddy can make a foot fault call but the player they caddy for has to approve it. The approval process still only counts as one vote though. Another player would have to second the call. If the caddy does something that would normally produce a penalty if they were a player, their player receives the penalty. For example, if a caddy does go forward of the group to be a spotter, which is allowed, the caddy shouldn't retrieve anyone's disc from OB or mark their player's disc until the group gets to the area. Otherwise, if the disc is close to OB, it will have to be called OB since no one else in the group got to confirm the original location of the disc before marking (803.09D).

"Caddy" is singular. So only one person can be the official caddy under the rules. Nothing prevents a player from having an entourage of people to (legally) support their efforts on the course.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:"Caddy" is singular. So only one person can be the official caddy under the rules. Nothing prevents a player from having an entourage of people to (legally) support their efforts on the course.
Nice. I want an entourage to assist me.
I think this
ChUcK wrote:...Could he have a water caddy, a disc caddy, and another whose sole job is to support Dave's nutsack with his left hand?
is a good start for Entourage requirements...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:02 pm

We still don't have a ruling on Daves nutsack support.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:19 pm

We still don't have a ruling on Daves nutsack support.

Perhaps new disc golf slang for "athletic supporter" could be the "caddy sack?"
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Rules Discussion