Adding Discs to Bag during round

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Adding Discs to Bag during round

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I am assuming that since I can find no rule prohibiting adding discs to your bag during a round that it is legal to do so. Is there a relevant rules section anyone could point me to?
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Re: Adding Discs to Bag during round

Postby dgdave » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm

That is NOT leagal. Discs can only be added before or in between rounds
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby black udder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:16 pm

I've heard the same, too (can't add during a round).

Chuck Kennedy will probably have the exact rule at hand :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bruce » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:00 am

There is absolutely no rule preventing you from adding a disc to your bag, taking one out, borrowing one from a passing farmer, or any combination of the above. This is one of those mythical non-rules that loads of people assume to be true because it is in ball golf.
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:47 am

Not only can you add discs to your bag during the round from your car, you can borrow discs and minis from other players. I actually bought three discs from the sales tent during a tournament round after I threw my primary drivers into the water after playing a half dozen holes at Climo's home course. Just make sure the discs are marked.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Am I correct in assuming that since this is a non rule that it isn't explicitely stated that it is allowed anywhere?
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Not sure what you mean by anywhere? The only requirement for any throw in competition is that you use a PDGA approved disc that is uniquely marked and not broken, and you make your throw within 30 seconds after reaching and marking your lie. Where you get the disc from or who owns it doesn't matter.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 pm

Yup, Feldberg sent his camera man back to the RV after the 3rd hole when he realized his Champ Boss was on the dash and he forgot to put back in his bag at the CO State Championships. No one even said a thing. I've gotten in to many arguments with people over this "issue". It's amazing how many people thought this was a rule.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 pm

yeah, during a tourny round there was one guy on my card who refused to carry a found disc because of this "rule". later in the round, a different guy had lost a certain disc, and i told him he was welcome to use mine whenever he wanted, because i rarely threw it. baffled the found-disc guy.

i've also broken from my card for ~10 minutes to go change my bag, because there was a known ~20 minute wait at the next hole. i had forgotten my super flippy stuff ;)

keep it simple AND DON'T CHANGE IT OR I WILL TURN YOU IN !!!
:lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 pm

I think this "non rule" comes from people knowing about the limit of 14 clubs allowed in ball golf and assuming we have some equivalent. However, even if you break a club, you are allowed to replace it with another club. I suppose in the very unlikely event you find a club on the course and you already have 14 clubs, you would need to give it to an official or leave it there.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Ted Damson wrote:yeah, during a tourny round there was one guy on my card who refused to carry a found disc because of this "rule". later in the round, a different guy had lost a certain disc, and i told him he was welcome to use mine whenever he wanted, because i rarely threw it. baffled the found-disc guy.

i've also broken from my card for ~10 minutes to go change my bag, because there was a known ~20 minute wait at the next hole. i had forgotten my super flippy stuff ;)

keep it simple AND DON'T CHANGE IT OR I WILL TURN YOU IN !!!
:lol:
I left my card one time during a known 20 minute backup, but I went to a 7-11 down the street on a beer run. :P

They DID pass a rule against THAT!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Working Stiff wrote:I left my card one time during a known 20 minute backup, but I went to a 7-11 down the street on a beer run. :P

They DID pass a rule against THAT!

gotcha covered. as i walked off from my card, i hollered "nobody get f'ked up ok?!"
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Not sure what you mean by anywhere? The only requirement for any throw in competition is that you use a PDGA approved disc that is uniquely marked and not broken, and you make your throw within 30 seconds after reaching and marking your lie. Where you get the disc from or who owns it doesn't matter.

Poor use of commas on my part. What I meant was is there anywhere that is explicitly stated.
As in "Here look at this page of the rule book I told you it was legal." In response to the guy that is telling me "I know it's illegal I just can't find the rule."
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 pm

The case of non rules is that there usually are no words stating that their claim is invalid when they make it. There are no rules for number of discs nor who owns the discs you throw so the onus is on the person claiming the non rule to prove it just like any rule that actually IS a rule.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm

That's kind of what I thought I ws just hoping to be able to go "See I told you so!" lol
(not that I'm petty or nuthin) :mrgreen:
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Rules Discussion