Dubs rulings

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dubs rulings

Postby ChUcK » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 pm

So when you're playing doubles, who is allowed to second a foot-fault? Most dubs play as two teams per hole, so if you call a foot fault is your partner allowed to second it? This could be easily abused to gain a stroke or two or three, so it must have to be one of the opposing teammates who seconds it, right? Who's going to second a call on their partner?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: Dubs rulings

Postby wdb4th » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Your partner can second, I think they can even call it. This could be useful if used right
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby ChUcK » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Says who? Tribal knowledge? I'm not sure if I exhausted all possible resources, but all I could find were rules specific only to doubles. What about the general rules of disc golf? How do they apply to doubles, where there are essentially only two competitors. In normal play twosomes aren't allowed, and this is one of the reasons why. Would you need a marshal tagging along to second/initiate calls?

How does this work at World Dubs? Do groups play in sixsomes?
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby mark12b » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 am

i'd be curious how pdga-sanctioned dubs deals with it, but for non-sanctioned doubles i'd think that yeah the other team could call and second a foot fault -- but if they're using that power to cheat then they could be DQ'd by the TD. golf depends on people being honorable regardless of if there are 2, 3, 4, or 5 scores on the card.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:29 am

Hmmm, but what if the TD is on the team? Interesting time to bring this up, Chuck... :lol:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 am

I really didn't want to mess with this issue since Houck is the one who has run World and/or National Doubles for a long time and may have had to make rulings on this. The rules that are posted on PDGA.com for doubles (when it's back up) are from Houck's events.

Regarding foot faults, the initial call needs to be made within 3 seconds, the idea being that the person calling it wouldn't have time to see the result of the throw and have it affect their choice whether to call it or not. Unfortunately, the person who seconds the call doesn't have to second the call within 3 seconds. (Maybe that needs to be added to the rules next update?)

Usually, the person who made the foot fault knows they actually did it and won't necessarily object to the call if both players on the opposing team make the call. If the thrower disagrees, then they can always throw a provisional and let the TD sort it out later. Potentially, the issue would end up irrelevant based on what lie was chosen for the team's next shot. It becomes a little more prickly if the format is something like Worst, Tough or Alternate shot where it may directly impact the score.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:25 pm

in our biggest local dubs tourneys we play sixsomes
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Return to Rules Discussion