Token Creek Madison, WI

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Token Creek Madison, WI

Postby Smyith » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:08 pm

I played this sourse for the first time today. I WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!!!! for $5 you get a sub par quality course. I also played madison other 2 courses and as far as technical and fun is considered they were way better and FREE! The worst part is that the course is right by I-90 and I-94 and all you can hear the entire time is cars going down the road especially on 1-4 were i couldnt even focus and my shots cause it was so loud and distracting. All and all it is the 2nd worst course for enjoyabilty i have ever played.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

hrm, odd. have heard from other people it is one of the best courses they have ever played. i don't play out much and haven't played there.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mark Brunner » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:30 pm

I know this is an older post but I still think that comment is nuts :)

But not everyone is going to like every course.

The course is on many top pro's Top 10 list. If you played there in november as it seems, I would try playing it in the summer when the course is in immaculate condition. All the fenced areas are played OB in tournaments, and some of the tall grass areas as well. The course from the longs is both beautiful and challenging, definately worth it.

I would have to disagree on the road noise, its true its right next to the freeway and you can hear a great deal of noise but it is not enough to distract you if you have any self control and focus.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

road noise

Postby twmccoy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:55 pm

The course I play most often is surrounded by a busy street and a highway, and I don't even notice the road noise when I play. I have had to chase a couple discs out of the street, but other than that roads don't affect my game.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Smyith » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:29 am

i wrote that when i was pretty pissed off. still though i wasn't all to impressed with it. it may have been a busy day with traffic but really it was really loud and when im discing i enjoy the sounds of nature not traffic. part of my personal rating system is enjoyablity and having to try to drown out noise doesn't constitute an enjoyable course. and it was a pay course that kinda was the dagger in it; every other pay course i have played has been way better quality. it was a let down my friend and i made a trip up there to play the courses we had heard so many good things about. maybe expectations were to high.

the pin placements were bland and unoriginal. the alternates were like 10ft further or a few feet this way or that. an alternate pin placement should make it more like a different hole not a hole thats 10 ft longer. i will though give it that the overall hole designs were good.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Brunner » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:46 am

Well I will say that the course does get pulled in November and is usually out until May. The money goes to the maintaining of the course and it really does show when the weather is nice. I think maybe time of year was the enemy here.

I know what you mean about that "nature sound"

For that I love Standing Rocks in Stevens Point

I would say Token Creek is a course I enjoy during tournaments and every once in a while. If I do drive to madison I usually spend more time at heistand. They just play differently, Token just happens to be one of those courses that is probably better suited for a league or tournament round maybe?
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Smyith » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:44 pm

well i'll slighty change my opinion of this course. i still think the first 3 -4 holes are loud from traffic. the course is a good design. its fun course to play but i still don't feel that its worth the $ especially with hiestand a 5 min drive away.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Simon Moon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Actually Token Creek is my least favorite course in the Madison area. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing going for it is that it's clean and mowed. The holes don't inspire me as much as Hiestand or Elver Park. But they move the pins around regularly enough, so it can either be ridiculously easy or hard. Two weeks ago I was -5 in the shortest postion, and last weekend I was +5 in the medium-distance position. Which, I think, could be arguably the hardest pin position...
Simon Moon
Noob

Token Creek

Postby diskgopher » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Yeah, I think that its a little too well maintained. Most pins are surrounded by wide open lawn and the fairways are pretty huge. Most of the trick is just bombing it down the fairway into the open space. I wish it had more trees on the fairways to add more line shaping elements.
That being said it is the best looking course in Madison. The course par makes newbies feel great and it's really clean. This course also has the best disigned long tees in town. Personally, I think the course might be a little more fun from the longs.
diskgopher
Noob

Return to General Discussion