Winter Weather Clothing

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Winter Weather Clothing

Postby jeremy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:11 am

I have moved from Florida to West Virginia, and this will be my 1st cold winter in 4 years. The temps that I will be playing in range from around 35deg to 55deg and I am in the market for some gear that will keep me warm without being to thick and heavy. I have been looking at the Under Armor and it’s a little pricey. I want some gear where I can keep my mobility, and stay warm without sweating. Any suggestions?
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Re: Winter Weather Clothing

Postby taqueso » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 am

I use smartwool long underwear, but it is in the same price range as under armour.
taqueso
Noob

Postby Eric O » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:56 am

something like this is perfect for the conditions you describe:

http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/outerw ... ime_jacket
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gorillaboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:41 am

35 to 55??? that ain't cold.....that's like thin hoodie and pants weather...but then again I'm from WI and play when it's below zero out side
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby jeremy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 am

gorillaboy wrote:35 to 55??? that ain't cold.....that's like thin hoodie and pants weather...but then again I'm from WI and play when it's below zero out side

I'm from Florida, and thats cold for me. I guess I'm a wuss.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby gorillaboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:02 am

jeremy wrote:
gorillaboy wrote:35 to 55??? that ain't cold.....that's like thin hoodie and pants weather...but then again I'm from WI and play when it's below zero out side

I'm from Florida, and thats cold for me. I guess I'm a wuss.

yeah I noticed that I just couldn't resist give ya some crap. I mean noticed your were from FL that is, not a wuss :wink:
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Postby Roy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:10 am

Hell, 55 is t-shirt weather :lol:

Oh yeah, winter discing in Wisconsin is the bomb. What a great way to stop that cabin fever.

Anyway, if you're playing in any snow in WV goretex pants are awesome. They keep you dry but breath better than ski type pants. My Buddy has some fleece lined goretex jeans... I wish I had a pair.

Also, I'm a big fan of vests. They let you keep warm and give you pockets for your hands, but they also keep the bulk off of your arms. I have a few ranging from light fleece vests to wear in the fall to a heavy down one for the winter.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby jeremy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:21 am

55 isnt bad for me but when it starts getting below 55 with overcast and any kind of wind I cant seem to get loose and my distance and fluid motion go out the window. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Hopefully this will be the only winter I'm up here then to Georgia where it will hopefully be better. Thanks for all the responses, any will help.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adamschneider » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:07 pm

In the 40°-50° range, I wear a fleece vest over a sweatshirt or heavy long-sleeved t-shirt. Wearing a vest rather than a jacket keeps your arms free, but your core is still warm.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby gorillaboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Roy wrote:

Hell, 55 is t-shirt weather :lol:

Oh yeah, winter discing in Wisconsin is the bomb. What a great way to stop that cabin fever.

Anyway, if you're playing in any snow in WV goretex pants are awesome. They keep you dry but breath better than ski type pants. My Buddy has some fleece lined goretex jeans... I wish I had a pair.

Also, I'm a big fan of vests. They let you keep warm and give you pockets for your hands, but they also keep the bulk off of your arms. I have a few ranging from light fleece vests to wear in the fall to a heavy down one for the winter.

hell yeah 55 is t-shirt weather for sure...I know a few years ago I was playing in late Feb and I think it was about 38 out and sunny I ended up in just my t-shirt and was sweating..
I like wearing a vest to but some times it feels like it gets in my way, but maybe my vest is just to poofy or some thing retarded like that...
I like winter to because that means i get to play leagues! I miss em all summer long but since they move em to the weekend in the winter I get to play then...
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:52 pm

What I do as it gets colder is just add thin layers. I use mainly cotton cuz it breathes. Start with the cotton thermal underwear from walmart for a couple of bucks. that with jeans and a T-shirt works pretty good if you keep moving. Throw a long sleeve cotton shirt over that. Then the thin hoodie very low bulk and it will keep you warm. For socks I use ultra thin cotton dress socks with normal cotton athletic socks over top. Keepe you warm without over stuffing your shoes and cutting off circulation. 2 Main don'ts in cold weather: Don't dress so warm that you sweat when you're moving, once you stop you will be chilled to the bone. Don't wear tight clothing that will restrict blood flow. It helps to have upper layers that button or zip so you can adjust by opening them up if you get too warm. Also eat a lot and get really fat. :lol:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby colombo117 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Grow a Beard :)

Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby jeremy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 am

colombo117 wrote:Grow a Beard :)

I'm working on that one, but it looks really bad. I'm 28 and grow a beard like a 16 yo. Actually when I was 16 yo there was a kid in my class that had a braed like yours maybe a little fuller.
One thing is I can wear jeans while playing DG just to heavy and restrictive. It's either shorts, or the wind breaker pants. The cold dosen't effect my legs very bad it's just the upper body. I worked hard to get to 190lbs so gaining the weight back is not an option.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:38 am

Here's what I wear, which only gets supplemented by a gore-tex jacket if it's below zero:

Jeans
Tshirt
Long sleeve tshirt/sweater
fleece jacket
fleece hat
socks
gore-tex shoes
gore-tex mittens
fleece neck tube thingie

and unless it's super windy I'm usually unzipping the jacket every few holes to cool myself off...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:44 am

jeremy wrote:I have been looking at the Under Armor and it’s a little pricey.
The generic stuff works pretty well too. I have some of the LLBean Under Armor type stuff that's less expensive but I'm sure Target and Wal-Mart have something similar that's even cheaper, too.

For those temperatures you shouldn't need anything too special to stay warm enough. Sweat shirts, jackets and vests all work well. You'll get acclimated before too long and it won't seem like as big of a deal anymore.
garublador
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear