Socks - not just something simple

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby JR » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 am

Fritz wrote:
Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:heh, a tip I heard from a guy I golfed with once, if you want the "cool" socks, like argyle or striped, especially in less than traditional colors, go to the women's section of a Target or something similar. I suppose it takes some comfort with your masculinity to do that, but hey, whatever. Dude had on a pair of light blue and white argyles that I never would have guessed were women's socks until he told me.

Holy sh*t I never thought about that before...thanks for the tips.
When I was a swimmer we used to wear hose when we swam to create wicked drag.

I'm old enough to have swum in Speedos -the under pant shaped ones :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby krazybronco » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:46 am

most of the socks in wear for tournaments are runners socks they wick the moistier away and come with cool pics on them i have a pair with chillie peppers on them and always get comments on them

http://www.teamestrogen.com/brands.asp?brandID=46&mode=category
krazybronco
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: prefer 11x Teebird

Postby stoneman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 pm

I don't wear any socks, until it starts getting cold out. Just enjoy the feeling of being one with the shoe. :)
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:52 am

Ok time for a more constructive comment. I have two pairs of thin Bridgedales and they are cool and really do breathe well ans move moisture away from skin especially if you have shoes that allow the moisture to evaporate. Thin ones won't probably last for more than a year. I have one pair of Bridgedale's thick socks. Absolute life savers during winter and too hot during summer although not wet thanks to wicking away of moisture. Shoe permitting. Really soft and does really soften shock of landing (hopping throws and heavy landings). Super comfy even as every day use socks.

Just got a pair of X Socks Speed Ones. Haven't used them more than half an hour and that's sitting at the computer. Feel like halfway model between the thin and thick Bridgedales in everything. Best overall sock out of these probably based on how they feel. Real world use on the course reveals more probably.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:00 am

JR wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:heh, a tip I heard from a guy I golfed with once, if you want the "cool" socks, like argyle or striped, especially in less than traditional colors, go to the women's section of a Target or something similar. I suppose it takes some comfort with your masculinity to do that, but hey, whatever. Dude had on a pair of light blue and white argyles that I never would have guessed were women's socks until he told me.

Holy sh*t I never thought about that before...thanks for the tips.
When I was a swimmer we used to wear hose when we swam to create wicked drag.

I'm old enough to have swum in Speedos -the under pant shaped ones :-)

You crazy Europeans....
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Great buy

Postby Denver Discer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Great buy on Steep and Cheap right now on smartwool socks...I don't have me credit card with me at my work desk or I would already own some.
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby J-Man » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 am

I've been getting the Costco version of smart wools, same sock, way cheaper.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:20 am

I knew that Italians have smaller feet than Finns but X Socks Speed Ones have the largest size vs number mismatch ever. Finns generally have wide front parts in feet and thin heels. That wide part feels congested even though there's plenty of excess numbers in the sock size range for me. In sneakers they became wet but less than cotton socks. Their shape is so snug that there's no fear of clumping and getting blisters from that.

With shoes that evaporate moisture these might be fine socks. Just not as comfortable in feeling as the thick and soft Bridgedales. X Socks are best in sneakers in cool weather and with moisture evaporating shoes are probably fine during warm weather. Can't tell if they're too hot in hot weather.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby aquascummm » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm

J-Man wrote:I've been getting the Costco version of smart wools, same sock, way cheaper.

I've used generic wool socks before, nowhere near the support (I have super flat feet, I notice every ounce of support I get)

I mostly just wear chacos, but when I do rock shoes, it's with smartwools or cycling socks
aquascummm
Noob

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:59 am

i just got some new insoles for my merrells today along with my first pair of smartwools :) holy shit what a huge difference this has made in my comort level and reducing soreness after a round,thanks for the heads up Solty. P.S. whats up with those challengers :?: that trade kinda fell through :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Socks - not just something simple

Postby jeremy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:53 am

I have been sporting these http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7218123/color/8 for about 8 mos now. Picked up 6 pair and they are holding up really well. Stick tights really cling to them though thats the only down fall.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Fritz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:52 am

I'm wearing soccer socks. They rock! http://www.twincityknitting.com these rox0rz! Stopper Tube. They stay up and cover the legs to prevent getting scratched, stickers, cactus etc... and all that jazz.

Now if I could only find them in Argyle I'd be set.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby domromer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 pm

I used to wear nothing but smartwools then I found socks called Darn tough socks. They are made in Vermont and I find them better than smartwools and they seem to last longer.

http://www.darntough.com/
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 am

those look awesome, i think i'll pick up a few pairs
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC