essay

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

essay

Postby redspexxx » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 am

so im taking english this semester and my first paper due is a deffinition paper. so i chose to define a good disc golfer. only problem is im having trouble getting ideas and qualities that make a good DGer. anyone got any suggestions? oh yea the paper is due at 5:30 central time...today...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Texas Made » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:40 am

Lots of things I guess...Good morals, not cheating, appreciation for nature, dont litter, Sportsmanship, competitor, definatly not laziness, innovation....I dunno, things of that nature...Hope that helped.
Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:42 am

Nothing like a good procrastination lol :)

I'd look at someone like Ken Climo for instance. He studied the game, learned it, got better and won 12 championships. Or say someone like Peter Shive. Started when he was older, liked it, studied hard to make him the best he could be. Learned the mental game and won 7 world titles at his age.

Guess what I'm getting at is set ground rules of what makes a good dger? 1. skill 2. work ethic/willingness to learn 3. execution of learned skills 4. accomplishments

Hope that helps a little bit.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: essay

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:03 am

redspexxx wrote:so im taking english this semester and my first paper due is a deffinition paper. so i chose to define a good disc golfer. only problem is im having trouble getting ideas and qualities that make a good DGer. anyone got any suggestions? oh yea the paper is due at 5:30 central time...today...

That's a tough one, maybe because I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean good as in good player? Or good in the altruistic form of the word.

Also, I believe you can be a good student of the game and not a great player.

Honestly, what makes one a good disc golfer by any definition is the love for the game, for it is this love that motivates us to continue playing and improving our skills. The beauty of disc golf is that anyone can play, not just natural atheletes. Although a natural athlete may have better muscle memory and such, everyone (barring some disability or accident) can become a good disc golfer with enough dedication.

Now all those things previously mentioned such as morals, not cheating, etc. can make one more desirable to play with, I do not believe it defines one as a good disc golfer. Rather, I now plenty of people that cheat and have questionable ethics that are great players; they can out play me any day of the week WITHOUT dishonesty, yet they choose to do it. This is where the competitive side of some intersects with the love and respect of the game.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:03 am

I did a powerpoint presentation last semester on disc golf. Coolest assignment ever.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby redspexxx » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:26 am

you guys rock, this thing is writing its self now.come to alabama and i'll buy you all a shot.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:07 pm

redspexxx wrote:you guys rock, this thing is writing its self now.come to alabama and i'll buy you all a shot.

You want me to drive all the way to Alabama for a shot? I'll be there!

Seriously, I've done Powerpoints of DG myself with youngsters to try to get them interested. It is one of those things that once you try it, many times you're hooked.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:14 pm

What about originality? That seems to be the one thing that always amazes me about DG. You can look at this forum to see it. DG isn’t defined by one age, style, or even methods. There are the people who are very old school, very athletic, casual players, finesse players, power/distance types. The sport has such a wide range of participants, I think that makes it unique.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Glock23 wrote:What about originality? That seems to be the one thing that always amazes me about DG. You can look at this forum to see it. DG isn’t defined by one age, style, or even methods. There are the people who are very old school, very athletic, casual players, finesse players, power/distance types. The sport has such a wide range of participants, I think that makes it unique.

We get ya. I've seen tiny people, old, young etc. I know I've seen people so big that they can hardly walk, yet they can fling a frisbee! I commend those people for playing and getting exercise as well.

But yes we are a very diverse group. If only we could break some of the stereo types.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:16 pm

i can send you my biography :lol:
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Im to late to help, but I was considering writing a propsal for a new course as a research assignment, until I found I needed 35 sources and only 5 could be interenet and could only consist of 2 interviews... (I dont think theres enough written material to cite 35 dg sources) I ended up testing out of the class, Instead of a semester of writing a 20 page paper, I took a 3 hour test that pretty much is does the comma come before the word and or after? and then a two page hand written paper...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby S Brown » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:05 pm

But yes we are a very diverse group. If only we could break some of the stereo types.

I am new to the game, what are these stereotype(s) that you speak of ?

I am familiar w/ "hippie golf", and the stereotypes asscociated with that blatant generalization. Are there others ? Are they regional ?

I am also intersyed in any regional slang disc golf terms.

I am fascinated by the "lingo" of the game. What are some of the terms you use that you believe are unique to your region, your club, or your regular game?

Maybe that is another thread ......

SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:07 pm

S Brown wrote:
I am familiar w/ "hippie golf", and the stereotypes asscociated with that blatant generalization. Are there others ? Are they regional ?

SB

probably was another thread, but what are some stereotypes that can be dragged along with hippie stereotypes?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:26 am

S Brown wrote:But yes we are a very diverse group. If only we could break some of the stereo types.

I am new to the game, what are these stereotype(s) that you speak of ?

I am also intersyed in any regional slang disc golf terms.

I am fascinated by the "lingo" of the game. What are some of the terms you use that you believe are unique to your region, your club, or your regular game?

SB

I'm more concerned about the stereotypes that involve controlled substances; I do not like people assuming I have, use or sell such substances.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:58 am

thats the one I was hinting at too ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to General Discussion