Boss- first impressions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Boss- first impressions

Postby twmccoy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:54 am

Went out to the field today and tried out a new champion boss. It is clear purple, domy and 172g. I threw it against 6 similar drivers.

173 ESP Surge
174 Champion Orc
168 Champion Starfire
172 Star Destroyer
174 CFR Wraith
173 ESP Force

The boss and destroyer fly very similar but the boss is noticeably faster and goes farther on mis-throws. The boss is also superior in headwind conditions. Stability is very similar to a destroyer, more stable than a wraith and less stable than the force. The surprise disc of the day was the 168 starfire, which is stable enough to hang with the boss and destroyer on big rips.

The boss is surprisingly controllable and workable, it did great on big anny tosses and S curves beautifully. It also glides very well and doesn't fade out quickly like the force. Overall I'd say its a winner. The rim is super wide but didn't affect my ability to rip it on whichever line I chose. More testing is needed, but I'm thinking I will reach new max distances with the boss. It is also a disc that will make the bag for those long, open drives.

Definitely not a disc to be afraid of unless you can't handle the big rim. It isn't as stable as I thought it would be and flies a long, long way with minimal effort. You can also rip the hell out of it without it flipping all over the place.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: Boss- first impressions

Postby Seneca_22 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 pm

I want one just to have one I guess. Would need to learn more control on my part as far as my release since I throw sidearm. I turn over my 170 destroyer just a little, but learning better angles since I've been driving w/a more understable disc.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby twmccoy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm all backhand. The boss is surprisingly easy to throw though. I'd give one a try. Who knows, you might like it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 pm

The Boss definetly lives up to the hype. You should definetly try one out. Its super fast and has lots of glide.

But in my opinion (i know someone said it before) I think the best disc produced by Innova this year is definetly the Monarch. Thats the disc that helps the not-so-big arms throw a lot further.

But I still love the Boss.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JKP » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Pat wrote:The Boss definetly lives up to the hype. You should definetly try one out. Its super fast and has lots of glide.

But in my opinion (i know someone said it before) I think the best disc produced by Innova this year is definetly the Monarch. Thats the disc that helps the not-so-big arms throw a lot further.

But I still love the Boss.

Yea monarch was a great make, but im likeing the boss for FH.. Some Big S distance
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:50 pm

Ive never had a disc skip further, higher and longer than the boss does.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Seneca_22 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:52 pm

That's it, I'm sold!
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

I picked up 2 DF Champion Boss's both 172gr. This is the most inconsistant disc that I have thrown, but very attractive. I didn't have much room to work with it on the left to right, but had all the length I needed. I either would release it to flat and it would keep tracking right, or to much hyzer and it wouldn't come out of it. I had one throw out of 20 or so that went about 60-70ft further than my wraith's and Destroyers. I think if I could get a consistant release and learn the disc a little better it could be my main distance driver, but only time will tell.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby twmccoy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:06 am

jeremy wrote:I picked up 2 DF Champion Boss's both 172gr. This is the most inconsistant disc that I have thrown, but very attractive. I didn't have much room to work with it on the left to right, but had all the length I needed. I either would release it to flat and it would keep tracking right, or to much hyzer and it wouldn't come out of it. I had one throw out of 20 or so that went about 60-70ft further than my wraith's and Destroyers. I think if I could get a consistant release and learn the disc a little better it could be my main distance driver, but only time will tell.

Huh. I wasn't having any accuracy or flipping issues at all with the boss. My very first throw with it went about 425' on a nice anny. I may have some time tomorrow to throw it some more.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 am

I had a chance to throw a friends last weekend and was very surprised at the different stabilities between the two that he had. They both were almost brand new, probably less than 5 throws on each. The green one had the stability of a monarch. The yellow one had the stability of an XCaliber. I will say that it is a very fast disc, but is not very comfortable to throw. I could see people that throw forehand bombing the shit out of this thing though.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:32 am

twmccoy wrote:
jeremy wrote:I picked up 2 DF Champion Boss's both 172gr. This is the most inconsistant disc that I have thrown, but very attractive. I didn't have much room to work with it on the left to right, but had all the length I needed. I either would release it to flat and it would keep tracking right, or to much hyzer and it wouldn't come out of it. I had one throw out of 20 or so that went about 60-70ft further than my wraith's and Destroyers. I think if I could get a consistant release and learn the disc a little better it could be my main distance driver, but only time will tell.

Huh. I wasn't having any accuracy or flipping issues at all with the boss. My very first throw with it went about 425' on a nice anny. I may have some time tomorrow to throw it some more.

I threw my Champ Wraith's, Champ Tee Bird's, and Champ Destroyers to see if it was just me and all 3 of them flew just fine. It was the Boss that I had trouble with. I will keep working with it though.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 pm

The rim is huge.

The flight is really, really great. It just goes straight with little fade.

The rim is huge.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby martin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Picked up a couple Bosses - have only thrown a few downhill forehand shots so this is a true first impression but WOW...furthest I've ever thrown by far. Between the two though there is a noticeable difference in stability even though both are flat tops and the same weight. From peoples' posts I see that others have had a somewhat similar experience.
Home course: Campgaw
martin
Noob

Favorite Disc: dx aviar 175g BEAT

Postby black udder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:44 pm

I've been getting my longest throws out to 350' lately (not consistently, but enough to say I can throw it), and after the words here, figured I'd give the Boss a try - even though 172g is the lightest. I picked up a 175g (wishing it was lighter) and flies well. It seemed to be at or beyond my longest wraith throws out of the few times I threw it. It does fade pretty hard at the end for me, but I suspect that bigger arms would get not only some flex, but less fade as well.

Although it feels similar to the destroyer, I think I'm liking this one more at this point.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby twmccoy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Back to the practice field with the boss and destroyer eariler. This time the destroyer was a lime green star 175g.

Stability is very similar between these two, the boss may be just a bit more stable. They go the same distance if thrown perfectly, but the boss goes farther on mis throws.

The boss is unreal in downwind and sidewind. It seem to catch currents and just keep goind when the destroyer gets pushed around more.

Oh, and I'm not sure what blend of champion plastic was used in the boss. Mine is clear purple and very slick. Very nice plastic and a nice dome.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Equipment