check out my new runup

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby kcantrell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:04 am

I just haven't seen you out at Tom Brown in a long time (albeit I don't get out much anymore). I was hoping to play a round or two with you and get a few pointers on my drive technique. It's been a couple of years since we played a round together but basically my drive has remained the same for all that time. I always felt like my technique was pretty good until yesterday when I finally video'd myself (when I figure out how to post it I will so others can see) and I don't seem to be doing much right at all.

BTW, glad to hear you snagged a job.

Kurt
kcantrell
Noob

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:41 pm

masterbeato wrote:Pulling tight across your chest is something you have to do every single drive "ESPECIALLY" when your threading the needle.

His snap and a little acceleration he's getting is making him go tht fhat far. If he pulls tighter he will gain a lot more D. Accurate D that is.

When you pull tight to your body you accelerate faster and the disc comes out on a more straight line out of your chest completely straight ahead of you. Looks like the person is throwing with his chest if your standing right behind the person.

A better way to get it is if you come through with your elbow first and then coming through with your body. That will automatically tighten up everything and make your body motions more compacted.

Can I agree with what you say but say that I don't do that because of me? :)

Most folks do not throw like me in the instance I mentioned. I was thinking specifically of a wooded hole around 280' or so with a slight right fade at the end. I throw a beat 150g chap sidewinder with just a little snap and away from my body because I only want a little snap and I want to sort of "aim" the disc. When I pull throw tight, I don't see the disc (I don't look down at the disc). This works for me, but I can't say I'd recommend it.

I will say (and I know you can confirm) that pulling through close to your chest with every throw makes short throws (200' or less) harder to judge when you first start throwing like this because discs just take off. I know I'm not even doing everything right, too. It's just crazy amazing. For a 150' throw I'm basically throwing a putter from my right pec, standing still with half snap and hoping I don't overthrow it. It made me realize just how younger folks with better timing and young bodies can heave a disc 600'.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby cmlasley » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:42 pm

black udder wrote:I will say (and I know you can confirm) that pulling through close to your chest with every throw makes short throws (200' or less) harder to judge when you first start throwing like this because discs just take off. I know I'm not even doing everything right, too. It's just crazy amazing. For a 150' throw I'm basically throwing a putter from my right pec, standing still with half snap and hoping I don't overthrow it. It made me realize just how younger folks with better timing and young bodies can heave a disc 600'.

That's right where I am. I switched to my high-snap form today on the course, and my upshots were way too long. I need to dial back the snap or something. Fortunately, I can now throw 230' holes with no run-up and very little reach back. That helps with accuracy.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:45 pm

cmlasley wrote:
black udder wrote:I will say (and I know you can confirm) that pulling through close to your chest with every throw makes short throws (200' or less) harder to judge when you first start throwing like this because discs just take off. I know I'm not even doing everything right, too. It's just crazy amazing. For a 150' throw I'm basically throwing a putter from my right pec, standing still with half snap and hoping I don't overthrow it. It made me realize just how younger folks with better timing and young bodies can heave a disc 600'.

That's right where I am. I switched to my high-snap form today on the course, and my upshots were way too long. I need to dial back the snap or something. Fortunately, I can now throw 230' holes with no run-up and very little reach back. That helps with accuracy.

And doesn't it make you wanna drag a soapbox down to the local course, stand on it and preach to everybody that's huckin' their heart out for 200' of distance? :)

I see people struggling with accuracy and distance in the 200'-300' range and I have to bite my tongue not to just stop and give them a lesson... not that I'm great, but learning that simple piece of technique will change your whole game.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Aaron:

much better focus. yer still hemhorraging D though dude :)

out of the first 10 drives or so, the one that starts at the 0:38 mark you hit the most , even though from the flight it doesn't look like it went the farthest.

i have a drill for you aaron, but i'd have to talk to you on the phone about it. i believe it's your ticket to 480+.

i'd say right now yer getting about a 50% transfer rate of snap onto the disc. 100% would be 550'ish power.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:50 am

Blake_T wrote:Aaron:

much better focus. yer still hemhorraging D though dude :)

out of the first 10 drives or so, the one that starts at the 0:38 mark you hit the most , even though from the flight it doesn't look like it went the farthest.

i have a drill for you aaron, but i'd have to talk to you on the phone about it. i believe it's your ticket to 480+.

i'd say right now yer getting about a 50% transfer rate of snap onto the disc. 100% would be 550'ish power.

Well let me say there is some interest for drills like that :-) Article section or drill sticky material. I don't mind the writer as long as the info is out. Blake you need a secretary :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: check out my new runup

Postby masterbeato » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok guys you have to hear this sh*&.

Aaron_D's video post has a screaming voice of a man in it on the slow motion parts of his video which is the end of his video. It is crazy cool. A MAN IS ACTUALLY SCREAMING!! Listen to the screaming in the slow motion section and the sections time where you can really hear it is at 2:37 - 2:46 - 2:54 - 3:09 - 3:14 - 3:17 - 3:21.

If you want to listen to the entire slow motion section of his video please feel free because you can hear it many times.

Please tell me if I'm crazy or not you have to set your speakers or your headphones at a higher volume because it's a back round sound and kind of quiet.

You have to try this guys please it's creepy you too Aaron!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Star Shark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:26 pm

yes, I heard all of them, and master.... you have way too much fargin time on your hands...
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:35 pm

sounds like the blair witch!
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby masterbeato » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:38 pm

I was just interested in looking at the video again and I just came across it and I'm like "hey thats not suppose to be there at all.".

IT'S A GHOST!!!!!!!!!!!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby jnecessary » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:23 pm

creepy
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm

The wrist looks closed through the entire throw. It never opens.

You do something unique that allows your arm swing to go completely unimpeded... it is sick.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 pm

its weird because I try and keep my wrist open throughout the entire throw. The pull closes it naturally and the pre-tension of trying to keep it open helps with the extension. This video is old though and I totally dont use that run up or grip anymore. Hopefully Ill get a new one up soon, but my new job with nielsen is keeping me busy as hell.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby black udder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 pm

LOL - dude, "old"? That's only 3 months old :)

I don't know what your goals are, but with the kind of distance you've been getting, I'd want to start settling down on a form soon so that you can hammer in the consistency. I spent years changing my form until it is where it is now and all I've done is start my game from scratch every year. No consistency in January, starting to build some in December, reinvent, restart, repeat.

With 400' of power, you can hit any course and do well if you can throw accurately. By changing your form, you change your timing and could lose the consistency you've built.

If you're not, then go for it. Just sayin' that with that kind of distance, unless your goal is distance contests, you've got more than enough to challenge anybody.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:10 am

watching a disc fly on a good rip is at least half of why I play disc golf. I know what you mean though...I always say to myself "okay now I dont have to change ______ anymore--I finally found something that works" only to change it up a few weeks or months later. Ive pretty much settled on my normal drive. Mostly I change up my distance driving form.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Previous

Return to Video Critique