couple of videos

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

couple of videos

Postby idiot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:05 pm

whats good whats bad

oops, i missed

#17 New Hogan Reservoir 735' down hill

i know the quality is terrible, but this is the first time i have seen myself throw
idiot
Noob

Re: couple of videos

Postby Beetard » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm

I'll say some stuff since it will start getting you some replies because everybody will think what I said is wrong. (hey, I'm not that good at critiquing videos, I've only got one eye.) :lol:

Take a shorter plant step. I think it is too long to get an effective push off your back foot. It looks more like you're just picking that foot up, not really pushing into the pivot with it. A shorter step will help with this.

You're keeping your plant leg bent. That is good. keep doing that.

More late-in-throw armspeed and followthough. Probably more grip too.

Try to pull though a little higher and staighter. Looks like your and starts high, dips way down, and then comes back up on the followthrough.

Looks like a fun hole. Did your shot make it to the basket?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby idiot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:34 pm

well i played the course twice that day. first time at that course. first time through my drive came up short of the road (if your familiar with the hole). the drive on the vid came up pin high but maybe 100' right of the pin. first time got a 5, second time got a par 3. tough hole
idiot
Noob

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:44 pm

For long hyzers and hyzer-flips your technique is looking pretty good. I'm guessing 350-375 range?

Drop the left hand, keep it at your side the entire time.

Stand up a bit straighter but keep knees bent, get your weight forward to establish stronger center of gravity over the plant foot. Shorter plant step could help with this as well.

Lift your elbow so the pull comes through higher, concentrate on "plane preservation" as Blake explains in the instructional articles. Read all the instuctional articles a few times if you haven't already.

Where are you playing in that vid? Close to Tahoe?
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:11 pm

My guess idiot is that your throwing in the 310' - 330' range, 360' at most on a good rip?

You need to harness your lower body power, your just walking through your steps and your x-step is not very strong. Try hopping through the x-step. If you want to see an exaggeration of the hop look at steve brinster. If you want to see a very powerful x-step look at Markus Kallstrom. If you want to see someone throw 500' with any disc imaginable including a paper plate or a disc made out of duct tape watch Mike Robinson's throw.

Your swooping your arm, don't do that. Your starting high, swooping it down and than after the release your swooping it high again. Pull with a straight line across your chest. Try to drop your right shoulder when you pull back and end high with the shoulder at the release. The key is to create a pendulum motion with your shoulders, not your arm.

Two things to keep in mind:

Bring your arm across your chest.

Start your pull low (drop shoulder), and end high (release).

So take what I've explained to you with the swooping of your arm, and apply that to your shoulders.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby idiot » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Where are you playing in that vid? Close to Tahoe?

the course is new hogan reservoir just south of jackson ca

i would say that my average golf drive is around 350'. (flat ground)
also i play at 7800' elevation for the summer so when i go down to courses that are say around 2500' i do find that i hyzer-flip shots. the shot in the vid is a really long downhill that i hyzerflipped just for safety purposes. when driving i try to through hyzers mostly. unless the hole calls for a anny
idiot
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Your wrist is buckling under.

Nose up or extreme hyser.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Video Critique