AA wants someone to evaluate his side-arm drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

AA wants someone to evaluate his side-arm drives

Postby VADISCgolfer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I got a quick video where you can tell AA, (also known by "AA" in this thread), what he is doing wrong or right on his side-arm drives.

"AA Disc Golf Drive Video Critique" Video
(3 drives in one vid. Length = :53 seconds)
Actual URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDK3EplKKs

Notes:
***The second drive is a 90° dog-leg right. I think the third drive is the easiest to see.

See any problems?

I know some people may enjoy criticizing [video critique] videos, Thank you very much anyway! I'll tell AA when or if he gets any responses.
Last edited by VADISCgolfer on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Re: AA wants YOU to evaluate his side-arm!

Postby Toomes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm

I don't know much about sidearm form so I can't help you there, but that definietely looks like Barnett Park in Kinston, NC. That's a great course.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm

I can't throw it, but I'll give my 2 cents off what I see some other good throwers do.

He doesn't seem to make much of weight distribution.

He's keeping the elbow in, which I believe is good, but most guy's arms are like baseball pitchers (bends waaaay back). I dunno if these shots don't require that distance or if he's just wrist flicking it.

It doesn't look much like he's getting much hip action into the throws. He is pretty much open (pelvis facing the hole) from the start. He doesn't really close up and pivot open, which I would think would add some more power. I know a guy who just stands and throws, but he stands straight up, then drops into a lunge and flicks it just as he hits, so he's got a lot of weight distribution going for him. I'd think watching Greg Bennett throw would help him. AA's step sort of looks like a one-step throw instead of an x-step type (which closes the hips).

He's also getting the nose up which reduces distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby VADISCgolfer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 pm

DCC wrote:I don't know much about sidearm form so I can't help you there, but that definietely looks like Barnett Park in Kinston, NC. That's a great course.

Yeah, that is his course! It's awesome.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Re: AA wants someone to evaluate his side-arm drives

Postby peppermack » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 pm

I think a lot of what others have said is right....the throw looks very stiff. There is no weight transfer to the front foot as the disc is coming forward. I also recommend bringing the arm back a little bit further and having the disc in the orentation that it is going to be thrown at the whole time. So nose down as the disc is pulled back so that it does not have to be adjusted mid throw. I can throw sidearm about 400-425' and it is all in the acceleration as the arm comes forward and as much snap on the disc as you can achieve without hurting yourself. Plus....maybe the most importantly...as you will see in any thread talking about distance....whether it is sidearm or backhand......a nose down release is the only way any D is going to be achieved.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: The following is AA talking.

Postby VADISCgolfer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:04 pm

The following...
after about two rounds my arm and shoulder tend to hurt i think it is because of the way i am flicking, i feel that im using too much arm and not enough wrist.

I switch up on the way I throw depending on the hole, im a better flicker than a backhander. I have been trying to improve my backhand lately but I am having trouble. my friend tells me I am leaning back when I throw it backhand and throwing kind of like an anhyzer, he says I should be getting low and coming down and across, and having my knee and hip into it, keep it low, let it glide and fade at the end.

I appreciate all the help you guys done on this forum for me.

VADiscgolfer does not endorse or participate in the preceding AA statement(s).
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Re: The following is AA talking.

Postby JR » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:17 am

VADISCgolfer wrote:The following...
after about two rounds my arm and shoulder tend to hurt i think it is because of the way i am flicking, i feel that im using too much arm and not enough wrist.

I switch up on the way I throw depending on the hole, im a better flicker than a backhander. I have been trying to improve my backhand lately but I am having trouble. my friend tells me I am leaning back when I throw it backhand and throwing kind of like an anhyzer, he says I should be getting low and coming down and across, and having my knee and hip into it, keep it low, let it glide and fade at the end.

I appreciate all the help you guys done on this forum for me.

VADiscgolfer does not endorse or participate in the preceding AA statement(s).

Doh!. The video is not up any more. But from the sound of the advice AA needs to listen to his friend because they are some of the most important basic skills to master. Also it's almost certain that a lot of forehanding and especially with lots of initial arm speed is gonna hurt the arm and shoulder. Real D is in part achieved with adding spin to the disc and too little spin flips the disc to a roller. So a heavy late acceleration from low initial arm speed (adding a hefty wrist flick at the last possible moment) is gonna improve his game a lot.
predictability, accuracy and distance.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique