Distance Myths Article

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Distance Myths Article

Postby black udder » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

Blake_T wrote:wrong concept.

any time someone references arm-speed and doesn't limit it to "at the hit" the mentality is all wrong.

What I meant was, the concept of uncoiling from the ground up is correct but the reference of it increasing arm speed is incorrect.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:27 pm

the focus of it is to be as strong as possible at the hit.

i'm curious though, people have bugged me about this forever, yet when i post the 7 things there's like no response :P

does that mean it's like a "well duh?" moment as people realize it's pretty simple? :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby curt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:41 pm

For me its more of an, ok, here's the 7 things I need to really work on. Write them down and post them up somewhere. Then evaluate which ones, I think I am weak on and focus on those. (starting at the hit and working backwards, of course)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby black udder » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Blake_T wrote:the focus of it is to be as strong as possible at the hit.

i'm curious though, people have bugged me about this forever, yet when i post the 7 things there's like no response :P

does that mean it's like a "well duh?" moment as people realize it's pretty simple? :P

You know, as crazy as it sounds, I looked at what you wrote, I read all the articles, but it wasn't until I worked with somebody 1x1 and asked a bunch of questions that it all clicked. Now when I read whatever you write (like the 7 things"), it is a matter of "well duh". Before though, I was focusing on doing those things, and doing them all poorly or not at all or (in the worst case) thought I was doing it, but really wasn't.

I see people throwing out on the course and they're not throwing right (form, not just nose down) and I just want to run over and give them a lesson. Once it's shown to you and you understand it, it's SO simple. You just can't fathom how you just didn't get it before. I'd bet that many throwers who are quite adept can't explain what they're doing or why what they do works. Strange for sure.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby garublador » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Blake_T wrote:the focus of it is to be as strong as possible at the hit.

It's probably more of a "about time," than a "well duh" combined with the reaction that half the answer isn't good enough. If you want praises, put the 12-13 things in a sticky. Otherwise expect people to keep asking.

I already knew the body positioning stuff is now a "well duh" thing for me. I will say that there's at least 1 or 2 of them that I may have realized potnetially years earlier had they been spelled out like that before, though. It's the timing ones that I'm now not as comfortable naming. Do I have to wait another 4-5 years to get those? ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 pm

As wierd as it sounds I have actually found it more helpful to search threads and articles to find the description that actuall applies to what I'm working on at the moment. If someone reads an article that says "these are the things you need to do" they will start working on all of them together and master none of them. Or they will pick one to work on and find out that it is beyond their skill level or won't help until they learn one of the other ones first. I don't know how many times I have read an article or thread and just not gotten it. Only to stumble across it again when I was working on something similar and gone "Oh now I get it" because I was having the exact problem it was discussing. OAT was a big one like that. I am currently working on strictly pure throws and trying to push my D out to 350'.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby garublador » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:51 am

MIdiscgolfer wrote:If someone reads an article that says "these are the things you need to do" they will start working on all of them together and master none of them. Or they will pick one to work on and find out that it is beyond their skill level or won't help until they learn one of the other ones first.
I believe that's a generality that won't hold true with everyone. Everyone learns differently. I realize I'm probably in the minority in the way I learn when it comes to people trying to achieve "big snap." I don't doubt that most of the ones who have the best chance of really getting it probably learn in such a way that not revealing the 12 things is probably best for people trying to learn this stuff as a whole. It probably doens't make sense to give me that list and risk me posting that information in the off chance that I'm a minority in the way I learn in the 1% of disc golfers (another minority) that will achieve "big snap." If I didn't belive this I would have hounded Blake way more for that list. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby masterbeato » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:23 pm

Blake_T wrote:going 450' requires like 7 body positions and 6 timing variables.

going 360' requires like 4 body positions and 2 timing variables.

going 330' requires like 3 body positions and 2 timing variables.

270' generally is indicative of 3 or less body positions, and 1 or less timing variables.

ok what about 500' power?

Or 600' power like Micheal Johansen, what does he do right to have such amazingly amazing power? I want that kind of power and would like you to teach me, and work the hell out of me to make damn sure I can get there. Do you think I could have power like MJ?

I asked you last time and all you said was "Throw Harder." That's a lot of help.

HAHA it was funny though.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:09 pm

At some point, I think it has to get into genetics - some people have more fast twitch muscles or more in the right places, etc. I have no idea what the max is for "normal" people, but wouldn't be surprised if something in the 500' range would be pretty darn close.

Aren't there only a handful or two of people that can throw a disc over 600'? That's without wind or elevation.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 pm

black udder wrote:Aren't there only a handful or two of people that can throw a disc over 600'? That's without wind or elevation.

The only guy I know of is Micheal Johansen.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Star Shark » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Markus can manage it. I imagine Brinster can also. Wouldn't surprise me if Bratten was on the list. You also have to figure that Sandstrom and the Jarvis boys can do it. Let's not forget Avery.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby tumpsi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 am

Animix wrote:Markus can manage it. I imagine Brinster can also. Wouldn't surprise me if Bratten was on the list. You also have to figure that Sandstrom and the Jarvis boys can do it. Let's not forget Avery.

+Linus Åström (& Jesper Lundmark, the current #1 in ratings?) from Sweden also.
And the Finnish guns; Jussi Meresmaa, Juho Parviainen, Erno Väyrynen, Joonas Hynönen and a few less famous players...
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:15 am

masterbeato wrote:ok what about 500' power?

Or 600' power like Micheal Johansen, what does he do right to have such amazingly amazing power? I want that kind of power and would like you to teach me, and work the hell out of me to make damn sure I can get there. Do you think I could have power like MJ?

I asked you last time and all you said was "Throw Harder." That's a lot of help.

HAHA it was funny though.
I'd imagine that's probably the only advice that would work. At that point it's more about your body build, strength and flexibility than it is technique. You'll have to do the right kind of training to improve your distance.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 pm

That's something similar to what Dave Mac told me a while back. Once you've got good technique, then increasing your grip strength is the next paramount thing.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:34 am

My X step is all wrong. The timing is all wrong.

It did not used to be but throwing with a back bad for a year has screwed it all up.

The X step is really a kind of lunge. My lunge is all gone.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review