Tips and comments welcome!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Tips and comments welcome!

Postby masterbeato » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:48 pm

edrift101 wrote:Ok, I've been practicing the weight shift (forward) and trying to flatten out my throw. Also, trying to keep the disc closer to my chest during my throw and snapping it forward. Still working on the other suggestions.

This is going to take awhile, but it'll be worth it next season! :D Thanks again for all the help!

It does take a while. Better to work on it now since the winter is here and no one can really have an ego about throwing far because they all lose a hell of a lot of D because discs don't glide, and you have like 7 layers of clothing on and bad footing along with boots and a 14th pair of socks.

When I help people out on the course I will usually ask them their bag setup to help out with disc selection more and make requests on what they should replace or add. If field work sparks an interest that's when I usually work hard on the technique matter of the game.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby sunspot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:46 pm

edrift101 wrote:Alright, just got off the phone with Dan (masterbeato) and Todd Erickson - we're all set for Sunday. I should have one camera rolling, maybe two.

Sweet!!!! Get as much as you can of Masterbeato explaining and showing (footwork, snap, timing, etc) the throw. Dude, not only would that help you out but it would help out many other people who are in the same boat as you!!! :D

Edit: Would it be possible to go through putting? I hope I'm not asking too much if I am hit me with a can of yams. :D
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby edrift101 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 pm

masterbeato wrote:When I help people out on the course I will usually ask them their bag setup to help out with disc selection more and make requests on what they should replace or add. If field work sparks an interest that's when I usually work hard on the technique matter of the game.

Take a look - I've already pulled the majority of the fast stuff out of my bag (the Destroyer stays - I like it) and I am currently working on trading my Boss, Wraith, Beast and a Spectra for some backup discs (Firebird, Tee-Bird, Roc, etc...).

Drivers
Innova Star Destroyer
Innova DX Firebird
Innova DX Tee-Bird (NEW)
Innova Champion Valkyrie
Innova DX Valkyrie
Discraft Avenger SS ESP
Innova Champion Leopard
Innova DX Leopard

Mid-Range
Innova Star Stingray
Innova DX Roc
Innova DX Shark

Putters
Gateway Wizard (M)
Gateway Wizard (SS) (NEW)
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby masterbeato » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Discs that are critical for your bag: (meaning discs you would absolutely NEED! but only going by your bag without adding anything extra to it.)

Drivers
DX Firebird
DX Tee-Bird
DX Valkerie
Champion Leopard

Mid-Range
DX Roc

Putters
Gateway Wizard (M)

Destroyer are really overtable for people that don't throw nose down very often or at all, and avg. under 300'. You can probably get more distance out of a Valkerie than you can with a Destroyer. You can probably even get more Distance out of your DX Tee-Birds than you can with a Destroyer also (only if it's beat in a bit). Try this setup at some point and play a round and see how your round goes with only throwing these discs. Leave the rest at home.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby edrift101 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 pm

I'll toss those other discs in the trunk then. :)

I took a couple of discs (Avenger, Tee-bird and the Firebird) out earlier and threw some drives for about 30 minutes. I was getting about 250 feet out of the Tee-bird with normal effort (slow x-step, no run up, concentrating on form) and navigating the woods with no problem. I'm going to like that disc a lot!
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 am

Welcome. Be sure to share the vids of Dan and you playing and it's an early present for everyone! Oh and enjoy all the benefits of fast laning thanks to this board and what you pick up from Dan. I bet it's a ton of goodies. Your holiday presents arrived already :-)

When putting try to stay chest squared to the basket all through the throw.

You were releasing many drives to the right. If it's not intentional then it's the same problem you're having with your forehand drives. Your arm is moving too fast to about 10" short of the release and in that final 10" you can't accelerate fast enough to force a clean rip off the fingers as easily. When your arm is at too fast of a speed too early.

With backhand drives another possible cure to releasing right apart from slow arm speed until the last 10" and then punching forward is to plant the final step with the right leg about 2-4" to the right of where you're now.

There's a fundamental reason why so many of your drives end up so high and stall. There's a rising vector in the flight of the disc when your arm is at hip height at the reach back and face height at the release. It'll feel odd to many to keep the arm at shoulder height all through the throw. There are people who are in between that height to hip level but they're able to keep the disc at a constant height from the ground during the throw. It's easiest to not raise the disc while it's at shoulder height. Higher than that and most players will likely loose power by forcing the arm into an unnatural position.

I didn't check if you were altering the amount of reach back for open long drives for maximum golf distance. For those your back should be turned to face the target at the farthest point of the reach back. Not breaking eye contact with the target for shorter or hazardous holes is a great idea but it'll cap your distance big time. Especially over time when you get other fundamentals right.

Reducing height is easier when you manage to maintain your wrist down as it opens. The natural tendency of the wrist is to raise and it's automatic due to the bones being shaped and positioned like they are. To keep the wrist down until the hand is at hand shaking position but bent down you need to use muscle power. That must not be started too early or it'll rob you of serious power and distance. The time to start to applying power to keeping your wrist down is about when the wrist starts to open.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:12 am

JR wrote:There's a fundamental reason why so many of your drives end up so high and stall.

Throwing weight back tends to pop a disc nose up and high. Resulting in a sick stall.

Jon Drummond and Avery Jenkins throw weight back but they have enough power to keep nose down, and they both have massive hand strength. I also have very massive hand strength but Jon Drummond puts his weight forward with his 360 turn while Avery does not but he is a freak. Even though I can keep the nose down if I do throw weight back I choose not to because it's way more accurate to use weight forward and easier to get that extra 10' off of a drive and their is less manipulation that I have to do with my wrist and grip.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby garublador » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I used to live pretty close to Acorn, too, in some apartments right off of Dale and CR-B. I ended up moving down by Lake Calhoun before I ever started playing DG, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby masterbeato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:07 pm

yeah if you go down dale street (South) I'm two streets up to the right, across the street from the B-Dale club.

I know exactly where you are talking about I had friends that lived in those apartments.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Ok, we just got done shooting the video. I forgot to explain a couple things I should have explained, I should have explained wrist extension more, but I answered some questions that people have had trouble with a walked through the "working from the hit backwards (right pec)" drill and explained "Punching your arm out towards the target and acceleration". I didn't get too in depth with the acceleration because I felt I didn't have to because people will get a good idea from my explanations. I explained weight shift and all that.

BTW during the video I didn't shoot well at all.lol

The video will be coming soon.

One person shot the tutorials and the other shot the round play so you might get it in two pieces.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby bcsst26 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Sweet. Thanks for all the hard work guys. I look forward to studying the video this week at work. :)
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Downloading the round video footage now - should be somewhere between 30-40 minutes, once it's all edited. I'll have it posted soon.
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:07 pm

TLapham wrote:
black udder wrote:With the putting, don't walk forward until after the disc comes to rest in the basket, unless you're outside 30'.

Nothing about this is correct. You don't have to wait until the disc comes to rest, you just have to show balance after you release the disc. Also, it's not 30 feet, it's 10 Meters, which is 32.8 feet. Not a big deal, but really can make a difference.

Thank you. Important details. That makes me feel much better about my putts which I thought were falling, but it would appear are not.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby edrift101 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:20 am

Here are some new videos featuring Dan Beato (masterbeato), Lucas Weide (MandShowI), Todd Erickson, Joe Johnson and myself.

Holes 1-5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlrxQQFiGjk
Holes 6-10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKXo8fVCXk
Holes 11-15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUwdbvRqZMI
Holes 16-18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp8lpsL9ssc

I'm feeling more confident about my drives now and getting more distance and accuracy - especially with the Roc. :) A couple really bad shots in there, where I anhyzered the disc pretty bad and ended up way out of bounds... It's a form issue - I used to throw everything wing up, instead of flat. Putting still sucks (+1 stroke every hole) - I need to get more rip and less wobble. Also, I have got to work on NOT moving/stepping after the throw.

I'm going to watch the hell out of the demo/tips video once that's in my hands and edited, but for now I'll take any suggestions/tips/comments that you have. Thanks!
Last edited by edrift101 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks man,

Damn this is a critique for me also. Hole 9 drive was horrible and I see why. I didn't follow through until late and it was icky stuff.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Previous

Return to Video Critique