Found snap today

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Found snap today

Postby Beast156g » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:57 pm

I had lost my drive and have been trying hard to regain some distance. Today everything came together for a few throws and finally got some real speed on the disc. I was concentrating on making sure my arm extendend through the throw fully all day with some success as I found my problem was not transfering any of my rotational speed to the disc. Then with quite a bit of practice I found where my shoulder turn benifited my arm extension the most and was getting some decent drives. Then right before dark I incorporated all of the above but somehow relaxed a muscle that I had been tensing up, I think but am not sure that it was my upper and lower arm muscles, and I crushed a few. Unfortunately I have developed some sirious blood blisters on my index and middle finger but I hope to get out to the course again tommorow anyway. Thanks Blake for all the knowledge, it has sure helped me, even though I have considerable difficulty learning it.
Beast156g
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:52 pm

glad to hear about the D.

sounds like you'll have to start using tape on your hand. same thing happened when my snap first manifested... threw until my hands bled because i was so excited to be breaking 400'.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Beast156g » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:53 am

I have one question as like always my drives are very inconsistent. I have heard you talk about the disc ripping out vs. slipping out. On most of my throws I think the disc is still slipping out, because only on occasion I have this feeling where the disc comes out extremly cleanly even though I'm not trying to let it go. My fingers just seem to pop open even though I know I had a strong grip. Everytime I have this happen I always feel like I didn't get alot on the throw, only to watch it soar past all my other drives with ease. The other thing is it seems when this happens I always get a release a split second before I anticipate the hit and have it go straighter with less of my tendensy to pull the disc right. So my question is what makes the difference in the way the disc comes out, and since my rip point is slightly sooner in my throw than I usually think it is should I start trying to finish the throw a little before what I am doing now?
Beast156g
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 am

from the sound of it... i'm going to wager you are in the 380-400' ballpark distance-wise when you have one of the throws like you described?

if so, you are just a slight timing adjustment away from 430-440' range.

it sounds like you are getting a slide release, but with very good technique behind it. when you feel the disc start to pop off your lock fingers, make an effort to clench with your rip finger and really rip through the shot. it will likely take some work, but if you can get this, you will likely have a noticeable increase in velocity and D.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Beast156g » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:33 pm

Well after playing some more I have now found that my good drives were not really a result of my efforts for more elbow extension. Somehow my attempt to get elbow extension from the bent elbow tequnique delayed the start of my shoulder rotation sometimes and allowed my hips to fire first. Which I didn't know I wasn't doing. So now I know exactly what I need to do to get consistent D but delaying my upperbody rotation doesn't come easy after years of incorrect tequinque. So I'm having to put a hitch in my throw to force my self to do it. But I can finaly see why the big throwers appear to throw so effortlessly. When I do this right it's so smooth and I can see exactly what you talk about in your article about being able to throw just as far without a strong finish cause the whip is so quick even with no muscle exersion. This game can be so frustrating, but everytime something clicks it's all worth it huh :!: And at least I know why I have always had huge ups and downs in my distance, and it's been because I never knew exactly what I was doing wrong.
Beast156g
Noob

Return to Technique