chunk's throw

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: chunk's throw

Postby black udder » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:10 am

chunk wrote:
garublador wrote:The second video is much better than the first.

You'll definitely benefit from rebuilding your x-step from the hit back. If you start from a standstill and little reach back you might be able to get the feel of late acceleration better, too. Like other's have said, you're starting to slow down right about the time you should be starting to accelerate the most. You're squandering a ton of power that way.

We obviously can't see the flight of the disc, but it looks like they might be pretty nice looking air bounces.

thanks!!! i'm going to try the "from the hit back" exercises and see where it gets me. right now i'm getting it out 280 - 300' with decent repeatability and accuracy. i'd like to get another 50' on my drives but have wonder how far a 42 y/o just starting out can throw. :lol:

I'm 40+ and have been throwing for about 5 years, trying to learn about 2, "actually getting it" for less than 1 and I'm getting discs over 300', distance in the 330' range with about 40% of my shots getting to 360'+. And I have replaced hips. It's all a matter of figuring out what to do and then applying it properly.

Where in Virginia are you?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby chunk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:20 am

black udder wrote:Where in Virginia are you?

i live in bluemont and mostly play the nova courses and northern shenandoah valley courses (sherando, signal knob, etc.).
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Beetard » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:42 am

Since I've made controlling my followthrough the main focus of my throws right now, let me chime in.

Couple things I know that will help you right away. You need to follow through higher. Your arm is like stomach level on the follow through. If you're used to throwing overstable plastic, you probably started doing this without realizing, because it helped your discs not fade as hard.

This type of followthrough is great if you are trying to throw a turnover shot or you are trying to straighten something overstable, buy say you're trying to throw a putter, a roc, or a leopard into a headwind. A low followthrough will result in extreme turnover.

Besides trying to follow through chest level for shots that are intended to go straight, try to follow through harder. Look at this vid of some pros. They all go through and beyond the rip point with maximum arm speed. Watch how far and how fast their arms go around. Their right hands end up almost back where they started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PavPX6RqnVo

Let your palm turn down like so on the followthrough. See picture 53; that's Jon Drummond.

http://johnsolberg.com/Sdiscgolf/Basset ... index.html

Less strain on your arm and chest than if you stay palm forward.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby JR » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:01 pm

You're right chunk. It's also called cocking the wrist and it doesn't usually help when done that early. Unfortunately in cold weather the added strain on your muscles from the increased elbow chop speed (another part of the snap than the wrist opening or uncocking) can cause injuries especially to the unaccustomed. Unaccustomed to getting the disc pass your body at about 1 or2/10ths of an inch.

There is at least one way you can wag the hand back for added tension that makes the wrist uncocking faster. It's starting from the wrist to the right of the handshaking position wagging it back to neutral in the reach back and consciously stopping the wrist straight and bent down.

Another method that allows the angle of the elbow to maximize bending for added elbow chopping speed and wrist uncocking speed is to pull closish to the chest and once the disc passes the torso you quickly and abruptly wag the elbow in towards your body maximizing the elbow bend right before the elbow needs to chop open. This way is very timing sensitive and difficult and we're talking of inches of motion at the most done extremely rapidly. This methods also requires a good grip and gripping power so that the angles of the dsic won't change. This requires strong muscles.

Because of the differences in difficulty I suggest getting the basics right for a developing player and first getting the disc to pass just missing your body. After that wagging the hand from right of handshaking position to straight at the furthest point of the reach back ain't hard to learn. The other method is advanced and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who doesn't already know what a good snap feels like with regular form. I have too little experience to say which pre loading of tension method yields the best distance.

Both methods can easily kill your form. Wrist roll overs are easy to get. Also bending the disc to false angles early on both in hyzer/anhyzer and nose down to nose up is easy. Forearm and finger muscle tension needs to be more than with a regular throw. A normal throw to my current understanding needs to be only slightly more than full rest until the last inches of a throw. These wagging motions used to pre load the tendons require about the same increase in tension in forearm and fingers than regular throws do with from full rest to slight tension. About double the tension which still isn't that much really or your arm speed will suffer more than what you gain with the added spin rate. At least in my limited throwing skill has shown so far. Results may change with added skills and power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique