Champ and star teebird throws

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Champ and star teebird throws

Postby sunspot » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Aaron, are you consciously closing and quickly opening up your plant leg before you plant you're foot? If so, does this allow for a more powerful hip turn into the hit?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:25 am

No it totally happens unconsciously. I figured I wouldnt try and not do it as I saw it is fairly common from what I saw in a lot of disc golf dvds. I think in order to turn away from the target sufficiently it is necessary unless you have a wicked limber spine.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Beetard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 pm

Sorry to post 10 miles off topic, but I've got a really random question. In Florida, do the trees loose their leaves in the winter? Does the grass quit growing in the winter (looked kinda dead in that video)
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:49 am

Pine trees never do, but trees with leaves do. The grass gets brownish and slows way down.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby SkaBob » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:24 pm

I was just watching and at least on the second throw, it really doesn't look like you're getting much of your hips into it. I could be wrong on that, but the range of motion your hips go through is very small...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Aaron, watch the Beato drill vids. Holy crap.

You and I have similar problems. I never get my elbow forward enough.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:05 pm

I seem to be alone in this (unless Blake said it in different words), but it looks like the disc is just coming out early. Your shoulders are squared up when the disc is to the side of you. The disc needs to be in front of you so you get that extra 1-2' of pull. Dan mentions it in his video. You need to delay your pull a little longer so that your arm catches up to your shoulder rotation and the disc rotations out front with your chest when you square up. The 2nd shot looks like you're pulling off track, so you end up falling off to the right. What you want is that dead straight pull through so you rotate in place or step off under control (e.g. MB/aka Dan).

If you look at GG, you'll see that at the rip, his shoulders are squared up and the disc is out in front. At your release, your shoulders are squared up, but the disc is over near your left shoulder/arm.

If you look at GG's finish, after the throw, he's just standing there. He is centered and balanced. After your shots, your center of balance is off to the right. If you pull through from back to front with your weight forward, then you should get a better line. Right now, you're too upright and when you rotate, then your balance falls off to the right. By leaning forward and staying balanced, you should be in control like GG. Look at GG at :54 vs yours at :51.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:59 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Aaron, watch the Beato drill vids. Holy crap.

You and I have similar problems. I never get my elbow forward enough.

Watch out practicing getting the elbow far in front. Last April I decided to try to really use my muscles as much as possible to pull as close as to my chest as possible and punching the elbow as far out as it could go. Unfortunately I managed to do just that. Overachieving :-( My elbow was bent as much it could go. When the upper arm was pointing towards the target and my chest was facing around 90 degrees to the left of the target. Unfortunately I was late in legs, hips and the torso in turning toward the target and it was like my body had been fastened to stay in place and somebody was yanking my arm off. The arm motion was pulling the arm off of the torso and there was no follow through so the arm motion stopped abruptly. What stopped it was the bones, muscles and tendons. Being stretched hard. I still sometimes have discomfort in my anterior deltoid thanks to that mistake.

There is an upside to this though. I learned a drill with which to train getting the elbow out in front. Unfortunately I'm afraid to train it and use it while throwing because of a potential injury and discomfort. Unconscious protection of the body probably too.

The drill is to stand still right side facing the target chest pointing 90 degree left of the target. From full reach back pull your arm at one third speed as far as the upper arm will go toward the target. That is the arm position where you absolutely must be turning with your legs, hips and shoulders. Or you will be making an attempt to separate your arm from your body :-( Oops.

Next do the same motion again with turning your shoulders into a follow through. The next time shoulders and hips, then legs, hips and shoulders. Thereafter in small increments start to add speed to each motion as long as you can maintain form and timing. If you hit a point where your form or timing suffers back down a bit and repeat so much that your form and timing is right with added power. Rinse and repeat until you can do this at full power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 am

udder, I think you and Blake are on the same page. Or at least in the same chapter. I have been really struggling with changing the timing of my arm pull like Blake said, but after simply holding the disc longer and placing the hit farther out from where it was I think I closer to where I need to be. Before I was consciously trying to place the hit as close to my body as possible. My theory was: long reach back, tight pull, closer hit. Now its more less long reach back, tight pull, hit more to the right and farther away from my body. I have only been out in the field a few times in the past 10 days, but this feels better and I have noticed that it also seems to help with accuracy. It doesnt appear to have added any D...but usually a technique change doesnt until a few more outings in the field.

One thing I was wondering was if my hit should be more right of my right peck or just more out in front away from my body. Also should the trajectory of the disc be more out from my right shoulder eg. what happens when you griplock...

I havent been out to the field since Ive watched the beato vid 600 times, but that is also exciting. Brad, when I saw the vid was up I almost gave birth to a golden wizard! Nice job Dan!

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 am

Aaron_D wrote:when I saw the vid was up I almost gave birth to a golden wizard!

:lol: :lol:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby black udder » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:15 am

Aaron_D wrote:One thing I was wondering was if my hit should be more right of my right peck or just more out in front away from my body. Also should the trajectory of the disc be more out from my right shoulder eg. what happens when you griplock...

The hit should be out front - like in the Dan's video thread, the picture of John Mac. His shoulders are squared up and the disc is just leaving his hand while it's in front of him. For you, where the disc leaves is while your arm is still considerably bent (as in across your chest).

I believe what you're needing to do is just adjust when you pull. You have great arm speed, so when you pivot your hips and torso, just let the arm drag along and then when you're almost squared up, pull. I believe you could get the disc out so fast that you can pull later than most of us. The problem is getting the timing right so that just as you square up, your arm is extending in front and not past that.

As for the trajectory. My best image is to imagine that there is a tiny railroad track going from your reach back to your destination. The disc is sitting there. When you throw, you are pulling the disc along that track. What you need to make sure of is that you pull the disc along the track and adjust your body to lean over the track instead of pulling the disc and track to your body as you pivot and pull through.

Now, about the disc being more out from your right shoulder - yes. What happens when you griplock, no. When you griplock, something is off - over rotation, oat, off balance, arching back, etc. Basically, you're rotating beyond your expectation and so when the disc rips, you're not where you expected to be. Getting your chest over the rail track will help reduce griplocks a lot because with your weight forward, your goal is almost to griplock everything. You're positioning your body so that you get maximum pull range in the direction you want. A griplock is you getting that maximum pull range in a direction you don't want.

Lemme know if that clicks for ya. Or if you have questions.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Previous

Return to Video Critique