Second Life?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Second Life?

Postby Solty » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:32 am

Anyone here involved with Second Life? My wife asked me about it today and I don't know anything about it...

Anyone?
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Re: Second Life?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Tried it for a few hours. I think it would be interesting if someone built a disc golf course in there some day. Might make more in Linden bucks on a pay-for-play course there than some of the ones we have in reality. :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gorillaboy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Second Life is da devil!!!!!!!
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Leopard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:04 pm

mikesolt wrote:... Second Life? ... My wife ... I don't know anything about it...

if woman == have
then secondlife == huh?

if woman != have
then secondlife == w00t!!1
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby k-os » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:07 pm

I have an account from when I played like 2 years ago. It wasn't too bad, but now it's mostly just a virtual sex game pretty much. The price was right ($10 for a lifetime account) so I thought I'd try it.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby Jsw » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 am

k-os wrote:I have an account from when I played like 2 years ago. It wasn't too bad, but now it's mostly just a virtual sex game pretty much. The price was right ($10 for a lifetime account) so I thought I'd try it.

A lifetime of virtual sex for $10? Man - the dollar is REALLY getting weak.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Fritz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am

Jsw wrote:
k-os wrote:I have an account from when I played like 2 years ago. It wasn't too bad, but now it's mostly just a virtual sex game pretty much. The price was right ($10 for a lifetime account) so I thought I'd try it.

A lifetime of virtual sex for $10? Man - the dollar is REALLY getting weak.

Nah, it's just a discounted sex, because you do all the work your self. :lol:

I tried Second Life a couple years ago, got board. It's basically Sims, with real idiots instead of the computer generated ones.

If you want to do a virtual "second life" then just play World Of Warcraft. At least then you have a function and a purpose.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby ChUcK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 am

I like the Office episode where Dwight Schrute is playing second life, and his character is identical to himself, a paper salesman who wears mustard-colored shirts.

"I like my life so much I wanted a second one" :lol:
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:58 pm

ChUcK wrote:I like the Office episode where Dwight Schrute is playing second life, and his character is identical to himself, a paper salesman who wears mustard-colored shirts.

"I like my life so much I wanted a second one" :lol:
that show is alright but if you saw the original British version first its hard to watch (its just not as good)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Havok Engine Does Not Support Aerodynamic Physics

Postby loonybomber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Second Life is Light On Physics But High on Versatility

The Havok Game Engine used by the Second Life Viewer does not support aerodynamic physics. Few game engines do. This means that there is no way to model the way a disc turns one way or another depending on it's angular momentum and lift.

Image Image

It's possible to fake simulate disc golf flight. That is, program a disc to fly in a behavior similar to how a disc flies so it looks like its being simulated but its flight pattern is not controlled by manipulating simulated real world physics variables.

While its not possible to model some of the most interesting aerodynamic aspects of a disc golf flight, it is possible to simulate basic aspects of gameplay, progression through holes, rules, etc, in addition to some of the important physics of disc golf flight (velocity, vector, collisions with other objects, density, resilience, rotation, and orientation).

Image Image

I don't have the resources myself (time limited constraints, not lack of ability), or I'd be organizing a first ever Ice Bowl in Second Life. I think Sea Shepard (I know Greepeace does) has an in world us 501c3 accredited way to make donations and if IceBowl charity recipients can be determined by TD's and their respective organizations, then it should be possible to direct IceBowl charity proceeds in such directions. If there's a way to get people that never heard of disc golf to learn about disc golf and give money to causes encouraging humans to consume less resources, then I am all for it.

Scripting takes some time to learn but is rewarding if you don't know any programming languages. I downloaded a program called Xfire two days ago and used it to record from Second Life for the first time. I happened to shoot an ace on the second hole. My associates are offering services for disc golf equipment and tournaments in Second Life but it's all very informal. I use Little Gray's course at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Jinn/245/156/75/ for development. I don't recommend it for a noob (Second Lifer) because there are killer wasps, bear traps, and the property is damaged enabled (which most humans in SL aren't used to). There's only a couple of holes. I found a few courses in Second Life but didn't bother looking ... it's way better going out into some SL wildnerness and setting up holes with interesting shots. I kinda like my baskets, with bits of innova's ontario warehouse and bit of railroad tracks than any of the other stuff on the Second Life Market Place, and with a little development should have a fun little game that teaches humans, including those that might not otherwise ever hear about disc golf, about different aspects of disc golf.

Follow This Link To Read About Little Gray's Disc Golf Props for Second Life at the North Coast Disc Golf Forum

In addition to instructional aids and virtual Icebowl type events for non-discgolfers, Second Life might be useful for cartoon disc golf animations. Probably wouldn't hurt much more than anything else to explore the possibility.

If you have experience with RL t/d, an ability to communicate effectively electronically, and are interested in organizing an Ice Bowl (or other) event in Second Life, msg me to see if we can get anywhere collaborating.

-------------
I read the forum instructions and don't have any problems with them. I assume you can talk about drugs if they aren't drugs in my state, like, I live in Colorado or your not talking about drugs per se, rather, you were trying to have a dialog concerning what's socially appropriate. I mean, we should be able to talk about drugs in the sense of talking about some things you can't talk about on the forum, like drugs, without fear that by discussing what we can and cannot talk about one exposes themselves to the ridicule, humiliation, and shame of being banned from a forum. When I get home from Colorado, I'm going to make me up a real signature line, and, if I never post again to this forum, thanks disc golf course review ... like your course reviews and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover your running much of the same phpBB3 software as the North Coast Disc Golf Forum http://ncdgb.untls.net (a bulletin board similar to Disc Golf Review except it's shared with a bunch of call-girls and a home for wealthy (insert-politically-incorrect-term-here)-ards and members are allowed to describe how to make meth as long as they do so in private members' only areas, I guess. That's a pretty cocky sig, hu? Well I'm gonna change it later .. this my first post and I don't want you to delete my accounting inadvertently thinking I am a bot.
loonybomber
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby chifaroch » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 am

the chance to change and do good.
chifaroch
Noob

Favorite Disc: Putter

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.