Course to play in Austin, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course to play in Austin, TX

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:10 pm

I'll be at Austin in March for my cousin's wedding. I was wondering what are some good courses to play at.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: Course to play in Austin, TX

Postby curt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:16 pm

There are a number of good courses in Austin, a many GREAT courses just outside of Austin. Within the city, it really depends on what kind of course you're looking to play. Short and technical, but will leave you thinking "did I really just shoot over par" means you should play Seawright. A longer, more difficult course, but still manageable equals Pease. A very long, difficult course leads you to Circle C a.k.a. - slaughter Creek Metro Park.

If you're willing to drive a little bit out of town, then Wilco and Circle R (two courses) are absolute musts, both b/t 30 and 45 mintues depending on your part of Austin. I also hear that the new course in Manor falls into this category, but I haven't played it yet.

Also, let us know when you're in town, and I'm sure someone on this board would be more than happy to show you around.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Leopard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:32 pm

^^^
what he said.

except...

Manor is FANTASTIC. now that my home course, and favorite place in the world, is closed probably forever -- i'm adopting Manor and Wilco as my new favorite courses.

... which brings me to -- Circle R being closed again. they closed it "until further notice" earlier this week.
:(
Last edited by Leopard on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby curt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:46 pm

sad times, I had not heard that circle R was once again closed.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get in some playing time when I go down there unless I have to help out with the wedding. Otherwise, I may give someone a holla to see if they want to go play.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby brennan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Ted Damson wrote:... which brings me to -- Circle R being closed again. they closed it "until further notice" earlier this week.

I was looking at Circle R the other day on DGCR and saw this... Why did they shut it down?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."
brennan
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Gazelle

Postby Leopard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:06 pm

brennan wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:... which brings me to -- Circle R being closed again. they closed it "until further notice" earlier this week.

I was looking at Circle R the other day on DGCR and saw this... Why did they shut it down?

there's no telling. it's controlled by a non disc golfer and it shows. the entire staff was laid off in early 2007 and it's been complete weirdness there ever since.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby brennan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 am

Ted Damson wrote:
brennan wrote:

there's no telling. it's controlled by a non disc golfer and it shows. the entire staff was laid off in early 2007 and it's been complete weirdness there ever since.

That's a shame... looks like a phenomenal course. I was hoping to make the drive up there and see it someday. I guess there's other good courses worth checking out in the ATX though.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."
brennan
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Gazelle

Postby zj1002 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:04 pm

first post yay! had to make an account for a post about atx

is searight still flipped? if so it might not be as enjoyable, its definitely seawrong when its flipped. not as fun but still a good course

pease park like they said is a must if you are staying in austin and if you just want to have a little fun you cant pass up a quick round at zilker. Zilker always makes me feel better about my game after i fail at Circle C and Pease.

there is also a course in Kyle just 20 minutes south of austin that is pretty solid as long as you stay out of the poison ivy
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby curt » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:35 pm

I heard that Seawrong will becoem Seawright on or around Jan 1st, and this holds up with what happened last year.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:40 pm

curt wrote:I heard that Seawrong will becoem Seawright on or around Jan 1st, and this holds up with what happened last year.

good good good! thank your sir!
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby RustyP » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:05 am

NOOOOOOOO!

The last time it was closed and reopened I swore that I'd play it before it closed again...but I suck and never got around to making the trip. Maybe it'll be resurrected again someday and we can just start calling it Lazarus DGC :D
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I have to mirror the above responses. Depending on what part of Austin you are in there are great courses everywhere.

Circle C is acutally closed for renovations and will be for awhile now, at least a few months at least thats what I was told. The DG course was supposed to be closed as of Nov. 30th.

Searight/Seawrong (south side) is fun not too challenging but not exactly realy easy, my best score there is -12 but I can easliy finish above par due to some errant throws

Pease (central) is a fun course that has most type of shots covered, it can get busy there and my main Real complaint is that the teeboxes are ankle breakers so be careful. Fun course cant go wrong there.

Zilker (central) its actually set up on the south side of the park which on this set up ips SUPER easy, I shot -19 there that included an ace, That should give you an idea of how easy it is. Its a 9 holer but its fun pitch and putt

Wilco (north) My favorite course in the Austin area, it is left friendly (which i love im a cheater lefty haha), but it is fair tp righties, the course has everything except elevation. Truly a great course. COst a buck to play but itll be the best dollar you ever spent.

Manor (south east) I have only played there once but It is an AMAZING course that is super challenging. Cant go wron there either

Those are probably the best courses there are others but those are the most recommended

Twin Parks (Dripping Springs, South Westish), Disc Golf Country Club that has two courses. Both are pretty fun, I would hope for a little more from a DG Country Club but thats my personal opinion, they are both really fun courses and for your first time out there you can play for free so thats definitely worth it, otherwise its 10 bucks to play,

you also have some other choices

Brushy Creek (a.k.a. Cat Hollow) (north) not short not long...not hard not super easy. pretty fun course

Old Settlers (Round Rock, north) Wide Open, LOOONG, if you can find a few local to show you the way the Winter Variant is Much more fun and a lil shorter

Kyle (steeplechase), fun, technical, be careful of Poison Ivy and Water. Im not to keen on this course but a lot of people love this course
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 pm

disc junkie wrote:Circle C is acutally closed for renovations and will be for awhile now, at least a few months at least thats what I was told. The DG course was supposed to be closed as of Nov. 30th.

they really giving Circle C a revamp? that was my home course until i moved down to san marcos and i have been itching to get back out there. Circle C is has a lot of holes that just need a few adjustments to make them amazing. Are they redoing holes or just cleaning up the trash and putting in new benches? someone put in some new benches and cleared brush this summer but those new benches got wrecked fast sadly. Circle C has a ton of potential so and i am looking forward to getting back out there when its open
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:45 pm

koyok23 wrote:
disc junkie wrote:Circle C is acutally closed for renovations and will be for awhile now, at least a few months at least thats what I was told. The DG course was supposed to be closed as of Nov. 30th.

they really giving Circle C a revamp? that was my home course until i moved down to san marcos and i have been itching to get back out there. Circle C is has a lot of holes that just need a few adjustments to make them amazing. Are they redoing holes or just cleaning up the trash and putting in new benches? someone put in some new benches and cleared brush this summer but those new benches got wrecked fast sadly. Circle C has a ton of potential so and i am looking forward to getting back out there when its open

Im acutally not sure of all the details to be honest. I wish they were putting the course back to the original set up like in 1999 that was by far my favorite course and it still would be it that set up was available. With that said I totally agree with Circle C having a lot of potential. I really like the current set up a lot with only a few complaints.

From what I have heard they are making it a 18 hole course instead of 21. They are putting in either all new or just some new baskets. They are putting in concrete tees which if done right shoud be freakin sweeet. Im not sure which holes but they are supposedly going to change a few of them. Also they are going to clear up more of the brush so there will be some better lines also if you do make an errant throw hopefully you wont get sooo punished.

Im not sure how long these renovations are going to take but hopefully they will all turn out to be for the better. I always get nervous when people change the courses I favor but change can be good, at least I hope so.

You can also contact the Waterloo DGC as they are the ones doing most of the remodel along with the City.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Next

Return to Courses