Female Ams playing pro?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Female Ams playing pro?

Postby jayne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 pm

I was reading the rule book, and trying to figure out what the rulings are for ams playing pro. I had heard somewhere that if my rating was below a certain rating I could play pro, accept cash, but still be eligible as an am. Sounds a little absurd to me. I'm guessing that's incorrect, but can someone let me know what the ruling is for ams playing pro and what not?

I'm at the point where I am not challenged in the Advanced Women's field around here anymore. Also there are not any women that REGULARLY play Open Women at tournaments (we have Katy- but she tours a lot). I am not skilled enough to compete regularly in Open women- 860s rated right now- but I want to be challenged. I was looking at playing up to Open for some A and maybe B tiers so that I am challenged, and when there isn't an Open Women's field, playing intermediate men's.
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY
destroyer, surges, rogue, monarch, drone, buzzes, meteor, wizards!

"I''ll tie you to my disc and throw you to the course!" - Beto
jayne
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Re: Female Ams playing pro?

Postby masterbeato » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:13 pm

If you move up and play Pro and cash, you are not eligible as a PDGA member to play AM ever again.

If you are not challenged, I suggest moving up because not only will you have good competition out there, but you will also become a better player. Maybe!

Now, if you want to make another AM world's run I suggest you stay in your division and go to world's next year and then move up.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby curt » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 am

While MB is correct that you are not eligible to compete as an amateur (sort of), the consequences of that are not nearly as dire as they sound. What it boils down to is that you can not play amateur in majors (and one more grouping I believe, but I can't recall it right now). The rest of events, you are eligible to compete wherever your rating allows. Also, you will have to register with the pdga as a pro, which means more money in member fees, so renew for 09 first.

p.s. - the guidelines for this are either in the competition manual or that strange ratings guide that lives somewhere on the pdga site.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 am

masterbeato wrote:If you move up and play Pro and cash, you are not eligible as a PDGA member to play AM ever again.

If you are not challenged, I suggest moving up because not only will you have good competition out there, but you will also become a better player. Maybe!

Now, if you want to make another AM world's run I suggest you stay in your division and go to world's next year and then move up.

Actually, you can accept money as a pro and still play am if your rating is below a certain threshold.

I'm not bagging on Mike here, just using him as an example:

http://pdga.com/player-stats?PDGANum=24414

Whether you think it's right or not is a different story, but that's the way the rules are structured:

http://pdga.com/files/documents/09PlayerDivisionsGrid.pdf

Jayne, to answer your question in particular, you need to be rated below 850 to play in FAM1, regardless if you have cashed in FPO.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Bruce » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 am

Everything said above is true, but the one point that people have missed is that as of this year you can play in Pro and accept merchandise instead of cash if you place in the money, and your Am status will be completely unaffected, you'll be able to play Am majors etc and move up and down at will.
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby jayne » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks all!

Dan- you make me laugh. You know what my competition is like and how many (or lack there of) FPO players actually play tourneys out here. We are lucky if there is a field! Me thinks I'll stick to Intermediate Mens for now.
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY

jayne
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:03 pm

There ya go Jayne,

Piss off all the men.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby jayne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Well, I was fairly successful at the Bloomington Open... 5th out of 16. Haha. We need to find some time for some more field work so I can really piss those intermediate men off!!! Call me when you have time to make fun of me and help me with my game.
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY

jayne
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:14 pm

jayne wrote: Call me when you have time to make fun of me

More than happy too!
jayne wrote:and help me with my game.

Will do!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby jayne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 pm

How did I know that you would enjoy that? Haha. Alright... back to my excercise physiology project! After tomorrow I'll have a little more free time!
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY

jayne
Noob

Return to Rules Discussion