Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby edrift101 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 am

This tips and technique video covers driving and features Dan Beato (aka masterbeato). Dan works us back from the hit and explains how he shifts his weight and generates the power needed for a 500 ft drive. Enjoy!

Videographer: Lucas Weide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
Last edited by edrift101 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edrift101
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Roseville, MN
Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 am

That's awesome! Thanks Dan and everybody else for helping this get done. Great work, Dan. Looking forward to seeing some of the other stuff.
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:06 am

This is great. Thanks for all the hard work guys. This video shows so much and helps put all the articles together. I actually know now what it means to punch toward the target. Just couldn't get it before. These will help me this winter rebuild my throw. Can't wait for the other videos. Thanks again!
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:54 am

Excellent! man that came out great!! i was expecting something a bit more janky but that was official like a referee with a whistle. thanks a lot to Beato and the rest of the guys for putting this together. I look foreword to more :)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Jerrod » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:01 am

Excellent video guys! Thank you!
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 am

:D :D
best video tutorial ever. nice work!
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer
User avatar
 
Posts: 4461
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: 30 miles x 100 miles x stinking island
Favorite Disc: Leo

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Blink » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am

Your swing looks kinda like Justin Bunnell's, especially with that leg kick.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 am
Location: Arlington, TX
Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby JR » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 am

This thread needs to be stickied.

Excellent work guys! Thank you so much. This video saves so many word in writing.

Sorry to sprinkle a few drop on the parade. Hope you could have picked a better example throw to be the last throw. Dan wasn't as weight forward as he should've been but otherwise I wouldn't wanna stand in front of him when he's throwing or punching. Boom!

It's extra nice how well you caught the sounds of the discs flying. The only more wicked sounding throws I've heard was in person seeing Vile Piippo train thumbers. It was like a meaner sound to Dan's throws cut like a car engine hitting the RPM limiter. A tearing combined with chuffing noise. It was louder much louder. Really wicked sounding.

Somehow I think Ville eats spinach on top of being unnaturally athletic. We're all bitches when it comes to muscles compared to that hulk. Sorry Dan you're a big fella but man... Yeah that guy really works out. It'd be interesting to see him in a gym with Avery Jenkins both doing a hard weight exercise. Then we all could go home and cry :mrgreen:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11238
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby SkaBob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:26 am

How far was the putter throw (second to last) and how far was the final drive in the video?
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 am

JR wrote:This thread needs to be stickied.

Excellent work guys! Thank you so much. This video saves so many word in writing.

Sorry to sprinkle a few drop on the parade. Hope you could have picked a better example throw to be the last throw. Dan wasn't as weight forward as he should've been but otherwise I wouldn't wanna stand in front of him when he's throwing or punching. Boom!

It's extra nice how well you caught the sounds of the discs flying. The only more wicked sounding throws I've heard was in person seeing Vile Piippo train thumbers. It was like a meaner sound to Dan's throws cut like a car engine hitting the RPM limiter. A tearing combined with chuffing noise. It was louder much louder. Really wicked sounding.

Somehow I think Ville eats spinach on top of being unnaturally athletic. We're all bitches when it comes to muscles compared to that hulk. Sorry Dan you're a big fella but man... Yeah that guy really works out. It'd be interesting to see him in a gym with Avery Jenkins both doing a hard weight exercise. Then we all could go home and cry :mrgreen:
for as monstrous as he looks in videos Avery is not all that big in person (very athletic though, he obviously works out,bitches). I am 6-2 myself though so not that big could be a relative thing. on a related note Val is much cuter in person too :oops:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

JR wrote:
Sorry to sprinkle a few drop on the parade.


It's all good, I actually do not work out at all the only thing I do is play Disc.

SkaBob wrote:How far was the putter throw (second to last) and how far was the final drive in the video?


My putter throw went about 125' range. That's the throw I use for anything 125' and beyond. It is a bit different on the shorter ones that are right outside my jump putt reach. (Look at hole 12 in the round video-second shot.)

As for my drive I would say it went roughly around the 440'-460' range.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby niuvalleycane » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Yeah MB, thanks for the tutorial, I gots to get my field work in 8)
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:34 pm

niuvalleycane wrote:Yeah MB, thanks for the tutorial, I gots to get my field work in 8)


No problem!

There will be more in the future this coming spring where I will touch more on the Wrist extension, follow through, and lines.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:37 pm

masterbeato wrote:
niuvalleycane wrote:Yeah MB, thanks for the tutorial, I gots to get my field work in 8)


No problem!

There will be more in the future this coming spring where I will touch more on the Wrist extension, follow through, and lines.


and obtaining snap. dunno if there is anymore or not, but hip to torso rotation to arm pull and finish. The simple stuff that throwers take for granted. How your feet are set, where your toes point, are the feet side by side or toe to heel alignment, etc. There are a bunch of little things that need to be discussed so it "clicks" for people what generates the disc speed necessary to throw further.
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:59 pm

MB,

At 4:39 to 4:40 you do something that I am trying to learn. The disc is "presented" forward at a critical moment in the X step. Then you crank back from there.

I believe this is not random event and does something to sync the upper and lower body. Nearly all the best players do it.

It is like the hand goes forward and the weight goes back. Then when you crank the opposite occurs. It is slingshot effect windup.

I wish Blake would comment on this. I think it is critical for developing true short tee power.

When I do it, it is out of time just slightly. It should be like 1-2-3. Mine is like 1-2, 2,, 2, 3!!

Damn good form BTW. Nicely done. More.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm
Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests