Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby mark12b » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm

terrific video, thanks!
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:16 pm

From what I can see, do you mean when he sets the disc out in front of him before he reaches back and throws?

If so, it's similar to what Barry & Nate to and Blake (I believe) had said that was about rhythm for their throw.

By implying that when he cranks, the opposite occurs, it would mean that he's weight back, which isn't true. He's got great rotation and wrist work. Thus, he imparts the momentum onto the disc really well. Dan finishes pretty well, too.

What I feel a lot of players are doing is running up to the tee to build momentum and then when they throw, they fly off the end of the tee. You don't need a lot of back to front momentum, what you want is a lot of rotational speed. The x-step is a bit of back to front in addition to the rotational. If you keep the disc "on the tracks" as you rotate and then pull through tight to the chest, then you barely move off your plant leg and all the power goes onto the disc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:03 pm

black udder wrote:
By implying that when he cranks, the opposite occurs, it would mean that he's weight back, which isn't true.

His weight is back when the disc is forward. His weight is over his back foot in the x step.

Then when he cranks back his weight is shifting forward as he moves to plant the lead foot.

Slingshot.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 pm

most pros do that "crank back" but if you look at what it really does, it primes the shoulders in the "correct" way. it's sort of a pendulum back which gets your right shoulder tucked tight, the way it should be.

too often people try to rotate with their shoulders level to the ground. it shouldn't be this way.

when you prime the disc out in front of you and bring it back it causes the right shoulder to drop as you rotate back in a different way than just reaching back.

looks like dan basically covered a lot of the drills i taught him (minus the punch the arm thing). however, on the 2 step throw, i teach people to start with the left foot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sunspot » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Big thumbs up on the the video!! Thanks for the answering some of the questions I had and those I didn't know I had.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:MB,

At 4:39 to 4:40 you do something that I am trying to learn. The disc is "presented" forward at a critical moment in the X step. Then you crank back from there.

I believe this is not random event and does something to sync the upper and lower body. Nearly all the best players do it.

It is like the hand goes forward and the weight goes back. Then when you crank the opposite occurs. It is slingshot effect windup.

I wish Blake would comment on this. I think it is critical for developing true short tee power.

When I do it, it is out of time just slightly. It should be like 1-2-3. Mine is like 1-2, 2,, 2, 3!!

Damn good form BTW. Nicely done. More.

Sorry I could not comment on this earlier but I was playing a doubles league.

It is just exactly what Blake has said I punch the disc out a bit forward in the x-step.

The reason for this is making sure I get my shoulder to drop down when I pull back so when I pull through my shoulder will come up. Nate Doss does this also but his is more extreme, it just gets that shoulder down on the pull back.
sunspot wrote:Big thumbs up on the the video!! Thanks for the answering some of the questions I had and those I didn't know I had.

I'm glad to hear the video is helping!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
black udder wrote:
By implying that when he cranks, the opposite occurs, it would mean that he's weight back, which isn't true.

His weight is back when the disc is forward. His weight is over his back foot in the x step.

Then when he cranks back his weight is shifting forward as he moves to plant the lead foot.

Slingshot.

I misinterpreted what you were saying - I thought you meant when the disc was ripping out he had weight back.

When you say slingshot, yeah. It's the whole trebochet thing discussed months ago.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby DiscJay » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm

FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I cannot thank you all enough for putting this together. I can't wait to get out to the field to get to work on all of this. Seriously, thank you guys.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 pm

DiscJay wrote:FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I cannot thank you all enough for putting this together. I can't wait to get out to the field to get to work on all of this. Seriously, thank you guys.

No problem, we all had a great time making these videos together. We are having an even better time knowing that people are benefitting form this. Thank you!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby jayne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm calling you on a foot fault on the vids from the whole round at Acorn. Hole 12... you stepped over the line on your drive. Cheater. Haha... just messin with ya Dan!

Are ya happy? I'm getting on here again... for now.
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY
destroyer, surges, rogue, monarch, drone, buzzes, meteor, wizards!

"I''ll tie you to my disc and throw you to the course!" - Beto
jayne
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Postby JKP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Very nice informative video..now i need a screen on the side of my house about 10 ft tall so i can practice
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby jayne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:42 pm

patterson21 wrote:now i need a screen on the side of my house about 10 ft tall so i can practice

LOL. Whatever works.
-Jayne-
PDGA 34371
2009 PDGA ROY
destroyer, surges, rogue, monarch, drone, buzzes, meteor, wizards!

"I''ll tie you to my disc and throw you to the course!" - Beto
jayne
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Postby Redisculous » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Great job guys. I've only been playing since this past summer, but the countess hours I have spent reading this forum convinced me that I should learn to throw from the hit back. This video is going to be a great help, I look forward to the next.

Thanks Dan for the tips, and thank you Lucas for filming!
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:28 pm

The more i watch this thing, the more brilliantly done I think it is.

Beat, you are good on camera.

Blake, why you insist on not doing instructional video leaves me shaking my head. This is ground breaking stuff.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:The more i watch this thing, the more brilliantly done I think it is.

Beat, you are good on camera.

Blake, why you insist on not doing instructional video leaves me shaking my head. This is ground breaking stuff.

Thanks Brad!

Just because Blake does not get his recognition on disc golf through this video to a lot of people he will get his mark through it because I will let everyone know that I am a student of Blake's and I will give him more recognition than me. Wasn't for him, I wouldn't be this far at all.

Also, Blake knows how to work me on the course. I would be +6 on the front 9, but he would work me from there on and I would be under par for the round.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

PreviousNext

Return to Technique