Disc OB, how to play this.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc OB, how to play this.

Postby VADISCgolfer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:18 pm

The white disc is where the disc landed.

Do I have to play it where the purple disc is and take a stroke, or can I play it like a unplayable lie (take a stroke) and throw over the bridge?

Today, casually I played it from the green disc and I think that it's wrong, but if I didn't, I would honestly be taking two strokes just trying to get it back into the fairway.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Re: Disc OB, how to play this.

Postby curt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 pm

I may be a little off on this b/c I can't access the rules right now and I don't completely understand your drawing, But I don't believe that there is any conceivable situation where you are allowed to throw from that green disc in your drawing.

1. throwing from the bridge is generally (if not always) considered still being out of bounds.

2. I can't see any way in which putting the green disc there would be the correct lie, if you were taking the unplayable lie. You are allowed to move your disc to to closest possible (I think, it may be a distance limit) playable lie on the line of play - e.g - a line from the center of the basket through the center of the disc. And I see no way to do that so that the disc ends up on the bridge anyway.

Also, I am assuming that you are placing the disc at the dots close to the OB. However, I have no idea where the tee or basket are or what the other two dots me.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 pm

If your last point inbounds was by the creek, then playing from there on the bank is one option. Your second option would be to throw again from the lie you just threw from and your score so far is now two throws higher. So if your original OB throw was from the tee, you could go back and throw your third shot from there. Those are your choices. Technically, you could take an unplayable lie penalty on top of the OB penalty if you didn't like throwing from the bank. However, since you could retee after going OB, that would be a better choice and not cost you another penalty. The only way you could throw from the green dot on the bridge is if the flight of your OB throw was last inbounds at that point and not where the purple disc is marked.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby VADISCgolfer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 am

Thanks Chuck.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Return to Rules Discussion