Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 pm

The kicking the foot thing was what I have been looking for, for months now. Thank you.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby masterbeato » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:48 pm

MandShowI wrote:he does have a follow thru its just fairly hard to pick up because he spins his whole body after release. i guess ive picked up on it in person and not so much in the video. hopefully im not stepping on his toes. but i think by punching it he means not having a flailing/all over the place follow thru...i guess like mine if you watch some of the acorn park round videos.

Dan, you wanna back me up or shoot me down on that one?

I do have a follow through, you have to follow through. I was just showing the motion and the order of operations while pulling through. You do not stop your arm completely.

Yes you are correct and I will not Bash you, I cannot Bash you because you are correct. lol

Oh you were incorrect about one thing though.......It's not acorn it's.....Gaycorn.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby MandShowI » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:05 pm

haha..wow..be nice to your home course
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby colombo117 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 am

Nice video guys! That will help me alot.
MB you've got a nice throw, lots of speed at the end. :shock:
The whole thing about the "punch" was great, I never quite understood what you were talking about before, but now I get. Thanks to all of you who worked on that.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby kaht » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

I thought this was a great image that backed up many of Dan's suggestions in his video. Specifically weight forward over your plant foot and releasing the disc out in front of you.

It seems that pictures are always taken in the reachback, or right after the disc has come out of the thrower's hand. This is a nice image that lets you see the moment right as the disc is coming out of John McCray's hand.
kaht
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:25 am

kaht wrote:I thought this was a great image that backed up many of Dan's suggestions in his video. Specifically weight forward over your plant foot and releasing the disc out in front of you.

It seems that pictures are always taken in the reachback, or right after the disc has come out of the thrower's hand. This is a nice image that lets you see the moment right as the disc is coming out of John McCray's hand.

Yes that is exactly where you are suppose to release right before your elbow fully extends.

It is important to watch his body placement in that picture. Where his shoulders are lined up along with his hips and legs. Feet especially.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:40 pm

After using these techniques I have determined that the best thing is to eliminate all of this bogus crap from the Internet so that no one else will see it. Especially anyone from Texas.

Please send all of the videos to me for disposal and remove the Youtube streams immediately.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Rickg » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:38 am

Yeah, what Brad said!! :twisted:
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm

wow. WOW!

finally got to try this stuff in a practice session. compared to yesterday i have a cannon arm! all my discs are flying different, everything's flying significantly faster. putters going to my previous mid- and even fairway-driver distances. i can finally throw nose down -- before so much of my throw prevented any type of nose-down. CRAZY! can't wait to work on this more. been playing for about 4 years with a lot of improvement, but nothing like this. first throw (after indoor repetition) just booomed.

thanks a ton.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Ted Damson wrote:wow. WOW!

finally got to try this stuff in a practice session. compared to yesterday i have a cannon arm! all my discs are flying different, everything's flying significantly faster. putters going to my previous mid- and even fairway-driver distances. i can finally throw nose down -- before so much of my throw prevented any type of nose-down. CRAZY! can't wait to work on this more. been playing for about 4 years with a lot of improvement, but nothing like this. first throw (after indoor repetition) just booomed.

thanks a ton.
strangely enough after working on this for a week I have actually lost considerable D, my timing is way off now and i cant seem to get it back no matter how much i work on it :cry: . I was getting 380/400 regularly and now it has dipped down to more like 360/350, after two or so hours of field work today i literally almost threw my bag in the dumpster. i feel like i have been working on my d for so long without considerable improvement and it is driving me f-ing crazy. my mid and putter drives are at an all time high my putting is great but when i step up to a longer hole i just cant get it done, my best drives end up just as far as they did a year ago which to me is just un fucking acceptable considering how much i play this god damn game. I dont want to end up one of those guys who has been playing for years but still cant get good d but every time i go out to th field with a head full of drills,tips,adjustments,timing issues to try i end up just leaving in disgust an hour or two later
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Star Shark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm

I wish I could get that kind of D. I work at it constantly. As it stands my record throws are 370 with an SL and 350 with a TL. My typical distances are in the 320-340 range with both drivers. I just never see any improvement. I've lost distance with my mids and am now throwing about 240-260 with them when I was 270-280 before. All my friends throw about 100 feet farther than I do. <granted, 2 of them are Steve and Bamba Rico>. But I just don't seem to be too wired for distance. I was throwing rocs 240-250 from day 1. Not much has changed in 3.5 years.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:

thanks a ton.
strangely enough after working on this for a week I have actually lost considerable D, my timing is way off now and i cant seem to get it back no matter how much i work on it :cry: . I was getting 380/400 regularly and now it has dipped down to more like 360/350, after two or so hours of field work today i literally almost threw my bag in the dumpster. i feel like i have been working on my d for so long without considerable improvement and it is driving me f-ing crazy. my mid and putter drives are at an all time high my putting is great but when i step up to a longer hole i just cant get it done, my best drives end up just as far as they did a year ago which to me is just un fucking acceptable considering how much i play this god damn game. I dont want to end up one of those guys who has been playing for years but still cant get good d but every time i go out to th field with a head full of drills,tips,adjustments,timing issues to try i end up just leaving in disgust an hour or two later

For starters, understand that this will click mentally long before it clicks physically. I would expect to work on it for a few months before you start seeing results. Once you make sweeping changes to your form, all your timing is off and you have to learn all the basics again in the new framework.

This is especially true if you're changing from a primarily arm throw or upper body throw and are now adding lower body or increasing snap,etc.

Also, look at the type of shots you're throwing. For me, I was throwing 300'-330', but it was a line drive, 10' off the ground. A friend was throwing 400', but it was a hyzer flip with lots of left/right movement. My new form (starting around June or so) now has me throwing 350' or so on a line drive and with the hyzer flip, I'm getting to 400' on a good throw. It's not consistent by any means, but it's coming along. My aim is off quite often because the body still hasn't memorized what I need it to. However, people don't get everything right away. First, you get the concept, then you get some throws, then you get more throws, then (over years) you build consistency.

Just give it time. Look at what you're doing, the type of shots, do some self analysis and see what you were doing before that's different now that might be losing distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:48 pm

black udder wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

thanks a ton.

For starters, understand that this will click mentally long before it clicks physically. I would expect to work on it for a few months before you start seeing results. Once you make sweeping changes to your form, all your timing is off and you have to learn all the basics again in the new framework.

This is especially true if you're changing from a primarily arm throw or upper body throw and are now adding lower body or increasing snap,etc.

Also, look at the type of shots you're throwing. For me, I was throwing 300'-330', but it was a line drive, 10' off the ground. A friend was throwing 400', but it was a hyzer flip with lots of left/right movement. My new form (starting around June or so) now has me throwing 350' or so on a line drive and with the hyzer flip, I'm getting to 400' on a good throw. It's not consistent by any means, but it's coming along. My aim is off quite often because the body still hasn't memorized what I need it to. However, people don't get everything right away. First, you get the concept, then you get some throws, then you get more throws, then (over years) you build consistency.

Just give it time. Look at what you're doing, the type of shots, do some self analysis and see what you were doing before that's different now that might be losing distance.

the good news is since ive been working this my accuracy and ability to hit lines in the woods has jumped way up (as long as i dont have to throw real hard). my mid and putter driving has gotten especially lethal lately also, its just the d thats missing, I guess maybe it will take some time to get it to click for throwing harder, thanks for the pep talk Udder :)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Banzai » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Awesome video!

Great section, I think, is where Dan is talking about plateaus at about 350-370 because you're releasing too early. He says that moving from "here" (left pec) to "here" (past right pec) can add about 60'-100' of D.

That fits nicely with some of the stuff Blake has been saying about "skipping the second stage" of the upper body rotation / pull. It's something I need to learn.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby chunk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm

thank you dan and company. i finally got a chance to watch the video and then went out and put it to use during field practice. even throwing into a head wind this excercise added significant distance to my throws. i can't wait to get out and practice more tomorrow.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Technique