19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Re: Comet lovers

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Furthur wrote:Those older "powder" comets are sweet. They've got some of the best grip in the rain.
I just pulled one out of the collection to throw. It has a Gateway Open stamp from 1998, so it's a ten year-old Comet. It's just as grippy and powdery as the day I got it. I'm not sure WTF that resin is, but it NEVER comes off.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby SkaBob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 pm

I've got an autographed RR Comet I could be convinced to part with for the right offer...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby gremlin75 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 am

Furthur wrote:Those older "powder" comets are sweet. They've got some of the best grip in the rain.

I actually still haven't even thrown it. I bought it off of Mark Ellis after molesting his disc collection at the end of the putting clinic while trying to find some other disc's I want (that man has a ton of disc in his basement). I came across a whole box of them all max weight so I just bought one for the hell of it (I think I was actually looking for ESP comet)

SkaBob wrote:I've got an autographed RR Comet I could be convinced to part with for the right offer...

LOL, When the hell did you get that one? I've been tempted to get one of the RR comets just to have as a collectors disc......I just cant bring myself to buy a $40 disc. Im afraid to even see how much an autographed one would go for.
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:28 am

An autographed RR Comet would go for about $30 :)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby adamschneider » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:56 pm

FYI to those in the Pacific Northwest: I stopped by Next Adventure in Portland today, and they've got 4 or 5 Elite-Z comets (with the silver holographic stamp) in the 174g-176g range. One's yellow and the rest are red. They're $16.99.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Craig » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm

I've never thrown a comet - I'd like to pick one up - what plastic should I go for, and would I want it in the same weights I use for other mids or Fairway drivers?

Thanks
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby gremlin75 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Craig wrote:I've never thrown a comet - I'd like to pick one up - what plastic should I go for, and would I want it in the same weights I use for other mids or Fairway drivers?

Thanks

Depends on what you throw. The X comet is the least stable with the Z being the most stable (still understable). Personally I love the ESP comets, still understable but not as flipy as the X.

My mids are the same weight as my fairway drivers but if you throw different weights I'd probably so with a weight that you throw your mids in.

The comet is a great control disc so dont try to rip it like you would a stable mid, cause it you do it will filp hard.
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:21 pm

The comet along with the shark are probably the two best mids to throw for people who don't like to drive with putters but want something to throw on those shorter holes.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby SkaBob » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 pm

heh that's also a recipe for a 30 foot overshoot of the pin, though...Comets have taught me to disc down to my putter for a lot of shots, so I don't risk blowing completely by the pin...

SOOO much glide! 8)

Also, get an ESP one.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 pm

SkaBob wrote:Also, get an ESP one.
Good news, bad news. I came home for lunch and saw a box on the porch that said "Marshall Street." Somebody is getting Comets for Christmas! Then I checked the computer where my wife did a crappy job of covering her ordering tracks. She couldn't buck up for ESP. Oh, well. X Comets are better than no Comets. Merry Christmas to me. :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby adamschneider » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:43 am

I tried out my new Z Comet today. Definitely less understable than the X, but that could be due to the fact that it's 5 grams heavier (175 vs. 170).
Last edited by adamschneider on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby SkaBob » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:05 pm

No, the Z are SERIOUSLY more overstable than an X or ESP...I've come across one or two mutant ESP ones that are near the stability of the Z ones, but they ARE more overstable by a very noticeable amount.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby gremlin75 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:22 am

marmoset wrote:FYI- this info came from another thread but I thought I'd post it here, too.
Sun King Discs had Player's Cup Comets and mentioned that another run of Z Comets should be out early 2009.

Sun King showed them as being out of stock for a while but now they show several being back in stock. I just bought myself 2 8)

So who ever wants them hurry up before they are gone....again
Last edited by gremlin75 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:08 am

You guys are lucky I'm so nice and left you one of the light ones! :twisted:
SkaBob
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment