brian schweberger's drive

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

brian schweberger's drive

Postby presidio hills » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:04 pm

i would like to see if anyone has anything to say of schweb's driving style. he seems to lean over his throwing arm and release it low on his body. jesper lundmark has a similar style (perhaps he gets even lower on his release). i was wondering what the characteristics of leaning over the arm the way they do are. i figure it helps in 'unfolding' the arms. does it effect hips too? why do they throw like that?
brian schweberger has a throw analysis section on this site.
jesper's drive can be seen in the european championships clip on the hyzernauts website (awsome clip!). he's the one who get's super low.
i'm curious because i'm finding my own style starting to turn into this.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:26 am

jesper and schweb throw with a "pure lead."

that is, their hand is directly in front of the disc the entire time. this will give a very loud audible pop and also be the most accurate left/right.

basically, this throwing style gives a lot of nose down and a very straight line release as there isn't much pulling anything off to the side. it also compacts the shoulder during rotation and generates a ton of arm speed.

the downside of it is that you get very little elbow extension and will have to be more perfect with your timing to really get out past 400'.

this is basically the most extreme version of the "fold over" i have talked about before on the pdga.com board.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:05 am

thanks for the response, blake.
that's exactly the kind of info i was looking for. who would be some people that throw with more elbow extension?
i think my efforts to throw drivers more nose down has led me into this style of throwing. it's easier for me to throw hyzer (sweep or flip) with this style of 'folding over'. is that normal? is throwing anhyzer with an extreme fold over like this possible? get more over the front foot or something? would it be better to use a different pull through for anhyzer?
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:22 am

you won't get a lot of power on an anhyzer with this style, but it can be achieved with just a slight adjustment of just tilting the outter edge up.

jon drummond has probably the most anhyzer power of anyone on my site.

walter haney has probably the most elbow extension of any thrower on my site.
Blake_T

Postby presidio hills » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 pm

Blake_T wrote:the downside of it is that you get very little elbow extension and will have to be more perfect with your timing to really get out past 400'.

i've been playing around with this more... in addition to watching a clip of jesper throwing on hole 13 at the USDGC in 2004. his timing is interesting; he almost pauses for a split second right before he lets his arm execute the throw. i've been experimenting with this and have found it to work for me to. i'm still really only able to throw with the 'pure lead' for hyzer drives... and only with high speed drivers. i'm now finding the best style for me is to fold over, but not too far. maybe this balances elbow extension and arm speed.

how do schweb and jesper throw their approach shots? do they look more normal?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:45 pm

they throw similar style on their approaches.
Blake_T

Return to Technique