TRIP TO COLORADO!!

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

TRIP TO COLORADO!!

Postby Fr0sty711 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:33 pm

OK so me and my wife are heading to colorado for a Vacation prob. in June 2009 and was just wondering if there were gonna be any disc golf courses around where we are staying and what courses you recomend and what ones to stay away from. WE will be in colorado for 2 weeks traveling around but we will be in DENVER and COLORADO SPRINGS the most. So i would like to find a course around those 2 places but but we will be all over the state so if u have any other courses that you think are a must play feel free to let me no. i appreciate any comments!
Last edited by Fr0sty711 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teebirds,X preds,Eagle x's ,BUzzzz,SSS Wizards

My Trade list
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18186
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Re: TRIP TO COLORADO!!

Postby Leopard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Fr0sty711 wrote:i appreciate any comments!

lucky bastard :mrgreen:

have fun!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Fr0sty711 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:17 am

thanks! So no one that lives in colorado likes there courses!??

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am

You MUST play Badlands and Johnny Roberts. You SHOULD play the two in Colorado Springs, the Westminster course and Expo. In fact sometimes I play the Westminster course and stare at the huge Hotel that is ridiculously close and think, "Man, if I was from out of town I would stay at this hotel. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/pr ... rtyID=1173
It is nicely placed by a major Highway (US-36) and like I said, ridiculously close to the Westy course. So close you could wake up early, walk less than a minute and play the course before you even start the day.

There really is no course you should avoid. Except Bird's Nest when it's windy so if you go, go early. You know, unless wind is your thing then go nuts.

Have you played at this altitude before?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Fr0sty711 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

no i have only played in WI,MI,and Indiana where i live. whats different about the elevation?

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 pm

Fr0sty711 wrote:no i have only played in WI,MI,and Indiana where i live. whats different about the elevation?

It will make all of your discs more overstable.

Just make sure you bring some beat and or understable stuff and be ready to find a field and feel the difference for yourself before your first round up here. I forget who I was talking to on here about my bag, and they asked (and rightly so) why I used a 150g Illusion as my overstable/headwind driver. I knew altitude made a difference but when he asked me that it really sank in what a difference it makes.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fr0sty711 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 pm

ok . sweet thanks for the heads up. i appreciate it!

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Fr0sty711 wrote:ok . sweet thanks for the heads up. i appreciate it!

I am the Badlands/Westy Sherpa so when you do end up coming out here let me know and I'll show you the courses or any course in the Denver Metro Area.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dvlcek » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 am

If you really want to hit a good mountain type course not too far from Denver, you have to check out the 20 hole course in Conifer. Just a little west of Denver. Digit covered some good courses around Denver. I would say mainly Badlands is the must play (18 main holes and 9 back in the woods). Johny Roberts is good but gets very crowded with people enjoying the park. So be very careful of where you throw because it doesn't take much to hit somebody. Main reason I don't play the course anymore besides tourney time or bad weather when people stay in. I think if you play early in the morning it's not as crowded either. Expo is a putter/mid-range course unless you can find the long tees and then you get to use your driver a bit more. Bird's Nest is fun and don't let the wind scare you. It's not really that bad on most days. Westy is decent, haven't been out there in a while. Widefield in CO Springs is a must. Kind of a tight course and can get some big crowds out there but you play along water and in trees the entire course. Also, if you feel like making a little more of drive south from there, you should hit the Pueblo course. Played it again this year and forgot how much fun it was. Very challenging course. It also gets a bit crowded and is in a city park with walkers/picnicers. If you want to drive up to Fort Collins, they have a very good course in town. Then a little further northwest of that is the two private courses (mountain type play but not way up in elevation) that are beautiful.

Red Feather Lakes, CO
Sundance Trail Disc Golf Course
Prices: One round $3, All day $5, Season's Pass $50
Hearty western lunch available on request, order prior to rounds

Beaver Meadows Resort Ranch
Prices: $5 for the day, free for overnight guests. Season's Pass $50
Lodging/camping available at course, Restaurant/Bar onsite

If Aspen has the course open at that time, it is well worth the $$ for the ride up the mountain on the ski lift to play at like 11,000 feet. Some absolutey beautiful views and some great holes to play. Bring the oxygen mask. I had to stop and catch my breath a few times on that one and that was just walking to one of the holes. If you go really west, you should stop in and play on Fritz's home ground in Palisade. Never played that course until States this year and would love to go back and play it again. Terrific course they have out there on the western slope. Those are the main ones I have played the last couple of years. There are a few more mountain courses like Montrose, Snowmass, Steamboat and Winter Park that I hear very good things about but haven't made it to those for first hand experience. Oh yeah, if you are driving to Denver, you should make it a point to go through Fort Morgan and play the course there. I think it is 22 holes. If you are here during High Plains Challenge (A-tier) tourney, they set up another temp course that will challenge the best of them. So something to think about. Anyway, hope this helps you out.

http://www.nocodiscgolf.com/
http://www.milehighdiscgolf.org/
http://www.badcodisc.com/index.php
http://www.gvdiscgolf.org/
http://www.coloradodisc.com/
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby -Jux- » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:18 pm

while in the springs be sure to check out cottonwood park, you go up and down through canyons with a very tree infested back 9. It's a very fun course, challenging but not too bad. Also Widefield Park is a nice course nearby, with a brook flowing through the hole course and very green in the summer.
-Jux-
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Valkyrie

Postby Fritz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 am

Stay away from Expo and Westminster courses. There are far greater courses to visit then wasting time on these.

Other than that, Badlands DG Course at Camenisch Park is a must. Johnny Roberts in Arvada is fantastic. All the mountain courses rock, specially Sundance Trail and Beaver Meadows in Red Feather Lakes, Beaver Ranch in Confier is also a very good course and really close to Denver.
In the springs you gotta hit Widefield it's a tough course, very tight and fun. Drive another 30-45 minutes south and hit Pueblo's City Park course. It'll be a good experience as well.

Highly recommend going to the club links posted above and post where you will be, locals will show up and play with you for sure.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby practically invincible » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:51 am

I haven't played much in denver, but Widefield is a fabulous course, with holes of almost every style. It's pretty tough but you'll meet quite a few cool people out on the rounds. Cottonwood (also in the springs) is also a great course however I avoid it during peak times in the summer months. It's pretty much a giant alcoholics party with frisbees... In the mornings especially on sundays there are great guys out there to play with.

As I tell all the lowland peoples (of which I used to be) make sure you drink tons of th H2O. Otherwise you'll get worked. As said before discs will be more stable and have less glide too.

P.S. I forgot optimist, a really cool course way the heck out in fort morgan. If you're driving in you might be able to squeeze it into your route. Edora park in fort collins is also a fave, but don't bother with Big Thompson near greeley, it's a young course and there aren't really any trees or interesting holes. PM me if you have any questions or can't find decent directions.

Welcom to coloRADo. Be careful... you might just wanna move here. :)
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Fritz wrote:Stay away from Expo and Westminster courses.

I can kind of see where you're coming from on Expo because it can be underwhelming, but what makes you dislike Westy so much? I have grown to love the course. It can be more forgiving if you are a RHBH thrower but other than that it has a nice variety of short technical/long cannon holes.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:11 pm

DigIt wrote:
Fritz wrote:Stay away from Expo and Westminster courses.

I can kind of see where you're coming from on Expo because it can be underwhelming, but what makes you dislike Westy so much? I have grown to love the course. It can be more forgiving if you are a RHBH thrower but other than that it has a nice variety of short technical/long cannon holes.

I don't dislike Westy. I played it weekly(never missed a tag match) and loved every round I've played there and I used it to develop and hone my wind game. I just feel there are better courses to experience then Westy. Don't get me wrong Hole one Pro Position, Hole 2 Long Pin, Hole 7 and 11 are fun, Hole 17 and 18 are a blast and so is 14, 15 and 16. But the other holes are pretty much a grip it and rip it bomber hole.

I'd much rather have someone visiting our state play a 27 hole Badlands Course or a sweet old school very aged Johnny Roberts course etc...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby BIG MACK » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:31 pm

I love Westy...but I agree that it's certainly not a course to showcase CO. I think these are the best 5 courses in CO.

Top 5:
1. Badlands (Thornton)
2. Johnny Roberts (Arvada)
3. Optimist (Ft. Morgan)
4. Pueblo City Park
5. Widefield (CO Springs)
* Paco (Denver) would be on this list but it is currently out of order.

Honorable Mention:
Beaver Ranch (Conifer)
Easter Seals (currently closed)
Red Feathers (North of Ft. Collins)
Vail
Copper Mtn.
Aspen (never played it...but I hear it's AMAZING!)

CO also has some very fine 9 hole courses, too!

Check out www.milehighdiscgolf.org
Putting is overrated.
BIG MACK
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Next

Return to Courses