Playing in the cold

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:49 pm

One more thing that helps in the winter is to keep your discs in the garage or car where it is cold. When you throw room temp discs into snow, the snow sticks like crazy. Throw cold discs in the snow, the snow falls right off. Makes a huge difference for me when trying to maintain dry, easily gripped discs in the winter.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Amateur » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:59 pm

60 degrees in California is cold? Lucky bastard! Cold here kills people.

I'm throwing for the first time this winter (first serious year of DG) . I'm going to pick a slow driver mold (Sabre...for now) and master it. That way at the end of the winter season I can try all the new super fast drivers :twisted: and still have something I can throw :oops: .

What color disc shows up best on snow? Obviously not white :roll: . I'm thinking pink, black and blue.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 pm

black and blue look like shadows often, especially when buried (which will be most of your throws, never throw more than one in snow, not fun looking), red, purple, yellow and if the grass under the snow isnt too green a green disc is best. just something bright should work.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roadkill » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:29 am

Personally I no longer play during winter. Instead I focus on conditioning, flexibility and perhaps some putting.

However if you're dead set on heaving plastic in frigid temps here are a few things I've employed when I was more of a die hard:

Gear:
1. Waterproof boots
2.Waterproof mittens - mittens are warmer than gloves, wear on both hands take off only to play shots then put back on.
3. If it's supercold those small hand warmers are a godsend, keep one in each mitten.
4. Knit or fleece hat that covers ears
5. Turtleneck and scarf will keep wind and cold air out

Technique:

1. Avoid runups (when snow and ice are present)- one step or stand and delivers will limit exposure to slip injuries as well as give you good practice for this shot when the lie calls for it.

Disc Selection:

1. Choose less stable and longer discs- I've found discs to be more stable in cold temps as well as carry less. A turnover disc may actually be your straightest disc when it's 25 degrees. Also you may find your roc flies 50' shorter when it's 50 degrees colder so accept it and bump up to a longer disc.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Previous

Return to General Discussion