AA Backhand Side-view - Please critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

AA Backhand Side-view - Please critique

Postby VADISCgolfer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blnVJWVhVK4 - YouTube Video

I hope the quality is bearable. Is it possible to see anything that he is doing wrong? It looks like his pull-through is very fast or something.

Thanks.

UPDATE
NEW VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDjsi31yYSk This video is much clearer so maybe you can spot something new that is wrong. I don't think he has learnt anything as of yet though.
Last edited by VADISCgolfer on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Re: AA Backhand Side-view - Please critique

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm

I am not good at this but the first thing that I saw was he is throwing weight back and not forward. I think that is the biggest thing I see.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:05 pm

no reach back, seems to swoop up, no hip/shoulder turn. no real power is being generated...
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 pm

not pulling tight to the chest or close to the arm through the throw. That's where you generate your snap.

No hip, torso or shoulder rotation being used to generate power. It's all an arm pull and follow through.

There might be a little off axis torque going on, too.

Standing too upright at the rip. Need to get weight over the plant leg.

Seems to be a little too fast. slow down and be looser and more focused. It's not speed that generates distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:03 am

Since his left leg is getting up in the follow through maybe late in the throw too he could fix his weight _back_ problem by kicking the left leg harder into forward direction and picking it off of the ground earlier to help him propel his torso forward to have his heart over his right knee as the disc leaves.

Watch the left arm. That's not the Swedish style done correctly. The arm shouldn't be moving straight ahead but turning with the rest of the body actually adding rotational power.

He should kick the left knee straight and not be as stiff with the right knee at first so he should exchange the knee bend angles between the legs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 pm

His arm moves quickly, but I'm not seeing much accelleration...it's the same speed start to finish.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby DaPats » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:36 pm

Looks good to me. Hips open up, good follow through, tight and compact throw. maybe just have him raise his hand a bit and start throwing closer to his nipples and slow down the run-up a bit.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:44 pm

i think the said thrower is actually a little weight forward during the cross step but at the hit is weight back. i second pretty much everything everyone's said. i think learning to pull from the right pec, like in the masterbeato vid would aid hugely in learning how to keep the disc in tight to the body during the pull through... which would in turn improve the rest of the form. i would watch that vid and do the exercise as first priority!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby VADISCgolfer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:22 pm

bcsst26 wrote:I am not good at this but the first thing that I saw was he is throwing weight back and not forward. I think that is the biggest thing I see.

So, does he need to almost "jump off the teepad", so that he knows he is getting his weight forward?

Craig Smolin wrote:no reach back, seems to swoop up, no hip/shoulder turn. no real power is being generated...

black udder wrote:No hip, torso or shoulder rotation being used to generate power. It's all an arm pull and follow through.

Yeah, it looks like he really needs to work on that. I think that will take the stress off his arms. I'm going(done to post a video and it looks like he never takes his eyes off the target.

black udder wrote:not pulling tight to the chest or close to the arm through the throw. That's where you generate your snap.

There might be a little off axis torque going on, too.
Yeah, probably, because he throws real stable discs and I don't understand why they don't fly out of his hand going the correct location. (left)

black udder wrote:Standing too upright at the rip. Need to get weight over the plant leg.
Is that another way to tell if you are getting your weight forward correctly?

black udder wrote:It's not speed that generates distance.
I actually told him one time - speed and spin generates distance. I guess I was wrong. :|

HERE IS A NEW VIDEO that is much better quality. The song in the background is very low volume so you can still hear the foot squeaks if you want to. This was a day later - so I don't think he has learnt anything yet, but you might can see something you didn't see earlier. (or it might look worse).
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Postby VADISCgolfer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm planning on showing him this (below Image) also... is this mostly correct? Because he always runs up right to left on the teepad.

VADISCgolfer
Noob

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 pm

1. Speed is part of distance, but it's late acceleration, not speed from the moment you step into your x-step.

When the disc is coming out of your hand, you should have your chest over your plant foot. That's when you know you have your weight forward. And that's not with an arching back, either.

I would focus on using more understable discs and throwing them with a hyzer release. If he throws properly with those really overstable discs, everything will come out early, with a lot of hyzer and he'll lose distance and accuracy. Using a more understable disc will allow the disc to come out hyzer and flip up (hopefully just to flat) so he can maximize his distance. A flat release would be a good choice for an approach type shot where you have more control.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby DaPats » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Is he smoking a butt in the video? :lol: If he is, then tell him to put it on the ground or hold it with his none throwing hand when he shoots. Another thing is, when he is throwing his none throwing arm is flaring all over the place when he throws. That right there is not good. You have to keep that arm tucked into your side so your body doesn't lose momentum. Once the disc is released, then the arm should pop out to give you balance and slow you down for the follow threw.

His form is not bad. He does need to reach back with his throwing arm a little more. that will help close up that shoulder a bit and turn him more into a coil. watching some videos of some pros always helps to and just a ton of practice.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 pm

edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby masterbeato » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Two words - SLOW and DOWN.

Walk through all of your motions as if it were slow motion. Just work on slowing everything down first because he is losing D by spazzing the throw.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby VADISCgolfer » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:47 am

He tried working on everything yall said the other day.

He cannot reach back worth two cents.

He cannot throw a hyzer. Does anybody know why he can't throw a hyzer? It's really weird.
VADISCgolfer
Noob

Next

Return to Video Critique