Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Ted Damson wrote:wow. WOW!

finally got to try this stuff in a practice session. compared to yesterday i have a cannon arm! all my discs are flying different, everything's flying significantly faster. putters going to my previous mid- and even fairway-driver distances. i can finally throw nose down -- before so much of my throw prevented any type of nose-down. CRAZY! can't wait to work on this more. been playing for about 4 years with a lot of improvement, but nothing like this. first throw (after indoor repetition) just booomed.

thanks a ton.

Very good!

That is awesome. Yes that is the first thing I noticed about this new kind of throw is the sound and how FAST it came out. I was forcing discs over like crazy.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Ted Damson wrote:wow. WOW!

finally got to try this stuff in a practice session. compared to yesterday i have a cannon arm! all my discs are flying different, everything's flying significantly faster. putters going to my previous mid- and even fairway-driver distances. i can finally throw nose down -- before so much of my throw prevented any type of nose-down. CRAZY! can't wait to work on this more. been playing for about 4 years with a lot of improvement, but nothing like this. first throw (after indoor repetition) just booomed.

thanks a ton.
strangely enough after working on this for a week I have actually lost considerable D, my timing is way off now and i cant seem to get it back no matter how much i work on it :cry: . I was getting 380/400 regularly and now it has dipped down to more like 360/350, after two or so hours of field work today i literally almost threw my bag in the dumpster. i feel like i have been working on my d for so long without considerable improvement and it is driving me f-ing crazy. my mid and putter drives are at an all time high my putting is great but when i step up to a longer hole i just cant get it done, my best drives end up just as far as they did a year ago which to me is just un fucking acceptable considering how much i play this god damn game. I dont want to end up one of those guys who has been playing for years but still cant get good d but every time i go out to th field with a head full of drills,tips,adjustments,timing issues to try i end up just leaving in disgust an hour or two later

I'm in the same boat as Jesse B.

I was working on this before I played a round last Saturday and threw some of the worst backhand shots of my life. Overall I'm pretty down on my game right now as the only thing I could do well last weekend was flick. (on the good side I was punishing some flicks and hitting all of the lines)
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby lovetoDG » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:46 pm

I just had to say this after finding this video on YouTube then went to field practice.

It was a big struggle at first because it was new to me but after throwing 20 times had improved so fast that I could see the disc was still spinning hard and bouncing on the ground that gave me like 30-40ft on the ground. I was like wow, I could spin the disc real well.

I was getting better and better after getting used to the new form. I used my two favorite disc which is Champ Teebird and Pro Starfire for last throws. It was getting a bit dark so the first throw was so perfect. It was a little hard to see Teebird but saw where it got close to the trees which was over 400ft but was still in the AIR was when I lost the sight of the disc.

2nd throw with Pro Starfire was again perfect and it kept on flying and flying until it past the deep downhill. The field I go to has a slight downhill as at least 10 or 20 degrees downhill which is at least over 425FT. Then, after over 425FT is deep downhill. I only did it by getting the disc past by 425FT to deep hill about four times in maybe over thousand of throws altogether. But I did it TWICE in a row.

I had to pick up all other discs then check on my last two disc but I couldn't find them because it was already dark. I was going to check on them in the morning but guess what it SNOWED overnight. It's supposed to rain tonight so hopely I can find them tomorrow. I'm dying to know where it LANDED since I can't believe how freaking far it went. My guess it would have been over 450FT but I'm not an expert on those ft when it comes with deep downhill though.

Thanks so much for the tips!
Nuke-PD-Teebird-Roadrunner-Roc-Wizard
lovetoDG
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Teebird

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 pm

BAM! i got my timing back :) and i feel snappier than ever :mrgreen:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 pm

:D :D :D :D , still just hyped up after todays round, I was parking holes with my rocs that i usually need a driver for and tossing putters on alot of old Roc holes all with great success
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote::D :D :D :D , still just hyped up after todays round, I was parking holes with my rocs that i usually need a driver for and tossing putters on alot of old Roc holes all with great success

Encouraging, I'm going to give it some more work on Saturday. I hope I can put it together, or at see some improvement.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote::D :D :D :D , still just hyped up after todays round, I was parking holes with my rocs that i usually need a driver for and tossing putters on alot of old Roc holes all with great success

Encouraging, I'm going to give it some more work on Saturday. I hope I can put it together, or at see some improvement.

I threw a few discs in the field tonight. Miserable distance and pulled muscle/tendon in my knee area.

Just offering up the flip side so you don't get too depressed if it's not Jesse's results :D
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 am

black udder wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:

I threw a few discs in the field tonight. Miserable distance and pulled muscle/tendon in my knee area.

Just offering up the flip side so you don't get too depressed if it's not Jesse's results :D

you pulled the muscle while throwing in the field?
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby black udder » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
black udder wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:

Yeah. pretty pathetic. Something around my knee...not exactly sure where. It's not major (thank goodness). Stupid really. Didn't warm up, just threw a handful of discs to see what they'd do.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Beetard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am

All I did yesterday was throw crappy and hurt my back and get my clothes all soggy. Wind and rain the whole time I was in the field, Yay!
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 am

black udder wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:
black udder wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:

Yeah. pretty pathetic. Something around my knee...not exactly sure where. It's not major (thank goodness). Stupid really. Didn't warm up, just threw a handful of discs to see what they'd do.
do you ever use a brace? ive had some bouts of knee pain and as long as i remember to put my brace on my knee rarely hurts these days. unfortunately the pain has moved to my ankle :( maybe i need a brace there too :?
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Desafinado » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Just wanted to post to say thanks to everyone involved for getting this video put up!

I had a similar experience to others in that my first couple field practice days after watching this, everything was a little bit off as I worked on making some changes, but today out at the course things started to click. I got much better late acceleration through the hit and the leg kick tip really helped me get my weight forward and thus the nose angle much closer to down(although still not quite perfect, yet) resulting in an extra 40-50' on my teeshots without putting any more effort into it than I did before working on these concepts.

This stuff is totally going to help me bust through the 350' plateau I've been at for a year now...
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby masterbeato » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Thank you very much for all of the feedback everyone!

We all greatly appreciate your opinions. I am so glad this is helping so many people. The point of this video was to touch on certain things that anyone has any problems understanding. This was a try out video only to see how it goes. Since these videos have helped soo much of you we are planning on making more as the questions come.

Since the try out videos have been so much success we will post more for fun as for touching up any kind of technique formula's.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks so much to Dan and the video crew. I feel that I can teach, but I can't do. Having somebody who can do and can teach makes a huge difference. It's great to be able to see Dan say "this is what you should do", then see him do it.

I believe that if you guys can get some more on the rotational power and snap that this board will just light up with all the guys who will be "getting it" and distance will be improving off the scale.

I know the Climo/Feldburg dvd will sell, but I firmly believe that Dan and you guys can do something much simpler and benefit many more. And it keeps up with what I believe is the the disc golf spirit - disc golfers helping disc golfers :) The internet and technology just make it possible for folks all over the country to benefit from your knowledge and ultimately from Blake's love of the sport. While he may not be into it as much, I know that passion has been passed on in the form of this forum.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby MandShowI » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:20 pm

well..i think i can find someone willing to show rotational power. i personally play with at least 3 guys who can get it out past 500..and probably another 3 can get it past 450....not counting dan.

two of the guys who can get it out to 500 are the typical distance thrower body..6 foot + lanky arms..the works. the other guy is about..5'6'' and has about a 3 foot x-step...TOTAL.

so no worries..rotational power video..oh yeah it will happen.
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Technique