Rhyno

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rhyno

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:40 am

masterbeato wrote:rhyno's have no glide
I can't throw Rhyno's off the tee because of this, and since I use the same disc for short drives/approaches/putting I've never spend much time with the Rhyno. If I was going to abandon the minimalist way, I'd totally find a place in my bag for this disc. It's super predictable and you don't have to worry about blow-by's.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 am

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/propig.html

The pig is probably the closest disc to the rhyno. The pig is rated speed 3, glide 1, turn 0, fade 3. The rhyno is rated speed 2, glide 1, turn 0, fade 3. So the only real difference (according to innova atleast) is that is pig is a little faster. They both have the thumbtrac, so I imagine they're about exactly the same thing.

I had no idea they only made pro pigs. That's really odd, I'm think if they only offered it in one plastic it would be dx. Weird huh?
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 am

I can get more D with a rhyno than I could with a pig. a pig does not have any distance to it at all, the farthest I go with it is about 300' MAX.

I can at least throw a rhyno as far as KC Aviars.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am

masterbeato wrote: a pig does not have any distance to it at all, the farthest I go with it is about 300' MAX.
I mean this in the kindest, most respectful way...but SHUT UP! "Does not have any distance to it at all" and "300 ft." do not belong in the same sentence!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Fullbag » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:19 am

I believe the Pig is very close as is Discraft's Zone. Champion Classic Rocs are almost as high speed stable but have a better glide and less low speed fade. It's really difficult to get distance out of the Pig but every once in a while when you hit a low s-shot it's possible. But I still max out at around 260' with it. Anyway, if you don't like the feel of the Rhyno the Pig won't be much better. You should give the Zone a try.
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Postby mzuleger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:12 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Frank_Delicious wrote:
mzuleger wrote:possibly a classic roc? I always considered these mids (probably due to the "roc" name) but they are technically a putt & approach. I've been practicing my putting with them and they're not bad... a little overstable and actually really comfy to hold because they aren't very deep.

yeah I am going to disagree with this. Classic rocs are straight out of the bag. There is really no putter like the Rhyno on the market. The closest I would say is the Bulldog but that is OOP
the Zone is kinda close to a Rhyno

good call. a zone is a closer fit.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Man_Utenbart » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 am

I use soft dx Rhyno's for windy approaches, spike hyzers, forehand, rolling (FH) and trick shots. What I like about it is the lack of glide, the overstability and the grip I get from it when throwing forehand. I used to throw stiff dx Classic Roc's with the same satbility as the Rhyno for a period, but switched back because the CR had too much glide. I belive the Sinus AP is about the same in stability, but a little more glidier.
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby JKP » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:43 pm

have you thrown the different types of plastic on the sinus?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Man_Utenbart » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:57 pm

No, only the AP, 175 yellow I belive. It had a great flight, but I didn't like the sharp edge of it. Have only thrown it like 15 times, but I'm open for testing it some more. Both AP and SP.

P
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am

So a buddy of mine gave me a Champ Rhyno a week or two ago that had been sitting in his disc closet for a few years. This past weekend, I decided to take it for a spin on a windy afternoon. First impression, this thing is a real nice disc for tee shots and approaches. It is quite gummy, which I don't normally care for that much, but for some odd reason this disc fits nicely in the hand and is a birdie making machine. I am surprised more players don't carry one of these thing. It's not the glidiest disc by any means, but I don't think I over drove a basket with it by more than a couple of feet because of that. Might keep it in the bag over the winter as well and mess around with it. Very dependable fade for me as well.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:06 am

BLURR wrote:So a buddy of mine gave me a Champ Rhyno a week or two ago that had been sitting in his disc closet for a few years. This past weekend, I decided to take it for a spin on a windy afternoon. First impression, this thing is a real nice disc for tee shots and approaches. It is quite gummy, which I don't normally care for that much, but for some odd reason this disc fits nicely in the hand and is a birdie making machine. I am surprised more players don't carry one of these thing. It's not the glidiest disc by any means, but I don't think I over drove a basket with it by more than a couple of feet because of that. Might keep it in the bag over the winter as well and mess around with it. Very dependable fade for me as well.

It is a great driving putter with the added bonus of being a good windy day putter and i used one as my main putter and driver for a while. Driver role longer IIRC around two years.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:45 am

JR wrote:
BLURR wrote:So a buddy of mine gave me a Champ Rhyno a week or two ago that had been sitting in his disc closet for a few years. This past weekend, I decided to take it for a spin on a windy afternoon. First impression, this thing is a real nice disc for tee shots and approaches. It is quite gummy, which I don't normally care for that much, but for some odd reason this disc fits nicely in the hand and is a birdie making machine. I am surprised more players don't carry one of these thing. It's not the glidiest disc by any means, but I don't think I over drove a basket with it by more than a couple of feet because of that. Might keep it in the bag over the winter as well and mess around with it. Very dependable fade for me as well.

It is a great driving putter with the added bonus of being a good windy day putter and i used one as my main putter and driver for a while. Driver role longer IIRC around two years.

Schusterick was throwing DX Rhyno's on some approach shots at Winthrop this year. Mainly on the greens that were tight. I was wondering what he was throwing, because the disc would slowly make it's way through the air and then throw on the brakes as if on command, and stop. I was surprised to see what it was, considering you don't hear many people talking about them.

Seeing that sparked my curiosity, so I went by my local shop and didn't see any DX Rhynos, but I did get a flat, flexible 175 R-Pro. I know that some people hate this plastic, but I don't know any different. The added bonus was that if I hit a tree it would pretty much die on impact, or in some cases it would keep going forward instead of kick off the tree. But the flight was what hooked me. I got some incredibly straight shots out to 270' that barely had any fade. The drop rate is so drastic once it loses speed that it doesn't have time to fade. It also worked really well on shorter flex shots. It's in my bag now.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Spinthrift » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Rhynos are by far the easiest disc for me to range on drives and approaches, forehand and backhand. Consistent, reliable, predictable. I keep a well-seasoned, soft SE and an unseasoned, stiff Pro in my bag, but practice with Champs and DXs, as well. If you like the gummy Champ one, be on the lookout for the older, flat, grippy, pearly ones.

And kudos for resurrecting a dusty thread for a deserving disc. I recall it being noted somewhere there seem to be regional proclivities toward or away from Rhynos. Around Charlotte, you see Rhynos in the majority of bags, with many using it as their principal putter. Others from the mid-US and west coast said they didn't see them very much. It may have something to do with what you see others throwing as you are developing your game.

FTT - If you want to try a DX, I won one at Reedy am league last Sunday and would be happy to swap or sell. Not sure of weight; will weigh tonight and PM you.
- Jim
Last edited by Spinthrift on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Rhyno

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Spinthrift wrote:FTT - If you want to try a DX, I won one at Reedy am league last Sunday and would be happy to swap or sell. Not sure of weight; will weigh tonight and PM you.
- Jim

Sounds great!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby slowarm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 pm

I've been using Rhynos for a couple of years. First it was a DX, great disc. Then it was a Champ, great disc (but in a lake right now). Then I bought a Star Rhyno (just out of curiosity, I was going to by a new champ). I love my Star Rhyno. Very overstable, no glide at all and very accurate. I can throw it about 70 meters (230ft?), although if the distance is over 60m I rather use a mid. Great for many different shots, but I don't use it for putting.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment