Overstable Midrange Disc of Choice

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overstable Midrange Disc of Choice

Postby asimo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:31 pm

What is your favorite overstable midrange and why? How did you decide on your overstable midrange? Did you try any other discs of note while you were searching for your favorite?
asimo
Noob

overstable

Postby distantdg » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Crystal Buzzz....Always predictable and consistent as my overstable midrange....Feels great in the hands....in the past i used a wasp and also works out very well but then found my crystal...
distantdg
Noob

Postby asimo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm

I haven't ever thrown a crystal buzzz but I have heard that the buzz is more stable than overstable. Right now, I am throwing roc's as my stable midrange but im looking for something to throw in 40 mph winds, to finish hard left and for trick shots.
asimo
Noob

Postby asimo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:46 pm

In case its important, most of the time, I can throw my rocs 250' with no wind and have them finish left, right or straight.
asimo
Noob

Postby garublador » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:59 pm

If it's still a shorter shot that I need to go left in a headwind, I'll throw a Demon. If I still need some distance I'll throw a Blaze with a hyzer.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:15 pm

I use a max wt. Z Wasp.
I like the feel of the wasp/buzz, and there is a lot of room to vary your stability with plastics and weights while still using essentially the same disc.
My straight mid is a 168 X Wasp, or a midnight Z buzz.
My understable mid is a 168 DX Buzz.

thought about trying a champ gator or drone, but the wasp is stable enough for me.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:40 pm

krusen wrote:I use a max wt. Z Wasp.
I like the feel of the wasp/buzz, and there is a lot of room to vary your stability with plastics and weights while still using essentially the same disc.
My straight mid is a 168 X Wasp, or a midnight Z buzz.
My understable mid is a 168 DX Buzz.

thought about trying a champ gator or drone, but the wasp is stable enough for me.

The buzz is more stable than overstable. I use an mrx for overstable, for extremely overstable, headwinds I use the demon.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby asimo » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:43 pm

After a detailed study of Joe's Universal Flight Chart I am thinking I would be happy with either a Drone or Demon. And I am leaning towards Drone because the Demon looks to be a little on the over-done side of things. I had originally been considering a max wieght z-Wasp in this spot because it would be a lot like my Rocs. But I saw someone throwing one, on my card last week, into a thirty mph wind, and it flipped over.
asimo
Noob

Postby Weebl » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:56 am

One word; Ram.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby asimo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:51 pm

What is a Ram? Who makes it?
asimo
Noob

Postby asimo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:33 pm

Ok! I found some info about the Ram. Do you think I would like it as a midrange? It sounds more like a driver. Also, I hestitate to start using a disc that is out of production just because of the extra exspense in aquiring them.
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:40 pm

the ram is a driver but only flies midrange d due to its overstability.

it is a pig. think throwing 70 degrees of annie having it flex and lawn dart like a knife hyzer at the end. one of the best "up and down" discs ever made.

they aren't hard to track down but getting them heavy (178-180) is very hard to find.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:16 pm

asimo wrote:I haven't ever thrown a crystal buzzz but I have heard that the buzz is more stable than overstable. Right now, I am throwing roc's as my stable midrange but im looking for something to throw in 40 mph winds, to finish hard left and for trick shots.

i think a disc that fits this 'mold' is the champ gator. it's much more overstable than a max weight z wasp... i haven't thrown a ram before but my guess is the gator is a little more tame. i really like the way it feels in the hand too. i use mine for trick shots; spike hyzers (even in a big headwind it'll work), sidearm rollers (more like a tomahawk roller where you don't play a flip.. get it down early, release at the angle you want it to land, and snap it hard = lots of spin to roll), big fade shots, and approaches where i want to land and sit (no messin' around with gliding past the target) plus they'll be around for a while so you can always get more.
i haven't tried those gateway molds, yet (demon etc.) but the gator is the perfect overstable midrange for me... like a midrange version of the monster; they both have very square edges and are fast with little glide. i can't imagine any headwind keeping it from fading... when it happens i guess i'll look for a ram ;) or a champ whippet X (those are pretty rediculous, too)
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:17 am

I've been told that demon, drone, and gator are comparible. I'm not sure about the gator since I've seen it in champion plastic. I've never thrown the gator. But, I prefer the demon to the drone. One warning, unless you have a monster arm, it turns hard left. Great for the wind and placement shots.

Drone is definately easier to get.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment