Distance Myths Article

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Distance Myths Article

Postby masterbeato » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 pm

back injuries are one of the worst =\
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 am

Since I've been posting on DGR for some time now, and some of you have actually seen me throw, I wanted to offer some thoughts...

I have solid form, capable of reaching the 370' plateau (with 400' throws due mainly to disc technology). Going longer than that for me requires 60' of air and a big anhyzer line with plenty of left to right space. On the course, I can consistently throw nearly as long as a great majority of the pro open players in NEFA, but I have much less consistency due to on again, off again struggles with OAT. I've also struggled with maintaining distance and accuracy off the tee on tight, wooded holes.

This weekend, a few things clicked for me: First, I think I finally understand the concept of keeping the disc in the same plane as your forearm through the entire throw. On an open (400' plus) approach, I threw a champ wraith as pure as I have ever thrown it. I could actually feel the disc maintain its plane through the entire hit, and watched as it flipped from hyzer to flat into a moderate headwind BUT did not flip over. It was a nearly perfect flight, penetrating straight nearly 400' with only minimal fade.

Second, I drastically reduced my X-step on the wooded holes, shortening my steps while actually increasing my hip rotation and torque. I was able to keep my arm and the disc in the plane of flight I wanted, while also keeping my eyes focused on my target. I ended up throwing a large number of mid-range shots with a much higher degree of accuracy and distance without the OAT I had been suffering from with a larger run-up.

I've been playing for around 5 years now, and I finally think things are clicking for me off the tee. Yesterday I was practicing at my home course, and keeping with the shortened run-up, I was able to attack a lot of the tighter holes in a way I wasn't previously able to.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby elnino » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:30 pm

Blake_T wrote:1. disc close to body during pull
2. weight forward at release (this gets the nose down)
3. shoulder rotation from away to forwards
4. hip rotation from closed to open
5. foot pivot
6. wrist extension
7. disc leaves from out in front of you

only timing variable i'll name is don't strong arm it.

8. Forearm in the same plane for entire throw?????
9. Strong wrists????????? do i need the captains of crunch again?

my question is what does 3 mean? I'm new to disc golf but everyday I play I gain control and about 15feet from reading here.

5. foot pivot does it go from 90deg from target to pointing at target?
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby Greatzky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:59 pm

I can attest to the "clicking" of concepts.
I've always been able to throw over 350ft, excluding my first 2 months of playing, so I can't say what other things have to click to get to this part. but for getting over this it's really about just "feeling" the concepts that are talked about.

by my 3rd month playing I was driving over 400FT and had no idea how. When I started to analyze it and tried to learn to throw airbounces I basically lost it and have been fighting for over 6yrs to get it back. I change my Throw all the time dramatically which can account for my consistency issues, but my distance doesn't change much.
I've gone from a Brinster type throw to a Barry Schultz type throw to a Cam Todd style. I've even tried a Schwebby style and after my injury last year I was doing a feldberg style(his pendulum motion can be achieved relatively easily without HAVING to rotate your body as much as most forms).
With all of this I still throw between 350-400 when I was trying to drive a long hole on the course. I experimented with different wrist snaps and timings and whatnot.. keeping a more stiff(but not physically stiffening) the wrist and forearm all the way to keeping everything super lose and having it move around on it's own accord.

out of all of these things the only thing that I truly need to think about when I throw a shot(excluding making sure to get a good angle on annies, etc) is to keep my wrist down as much as possible. I applied this to my game after taking a week or 2 off and I outdrove most holes I was throwing on. I cleared over 400ft 3 times and I wasn't throwing hard at all(which i rarely do anyway because I know it only makes you hurt and doesn't improve distance or accuracy).

When you watch most of the pros throw you will notice that their arm(direction of the disc) goes down around the hit point then their arm will come back up a little or a lot during the follow through. You can see this with Avery, Doss, Nikko, and Schweberger to name a few. I don't do this, but am working on it. I tend to have a more level and upward movement during my hit and release so I HAVE to the get nose down more than I feel is comfortable to achieve the same flight plane at release. I don't really watch Steve Rico much as he doesn't come to the East Coast too much, but I would assume that he also gets really good nose down as he usually looks like he is releasing on an upward angle the whole way(Don't quote me on this as I have never analyzed his throw).

I never bothered to really try this or spend much time with it becuase I already get the nose down when I throw, or more than a new player would. I don't keep my wrist up in any way when i throw normally, but when I try to get the nose down I get it a lot further down. This may not be the best concept for all, but it works well for me right now and makes all flight paths more consistent and more true(if that makes sense).

this is a "concept" that just makes sense to me. Without getting the nose down or getting a correct "hit" I can still easily throw over 340, but to regularly and consistently throw over the 370+ area I need to get the nose way down.

I hope this helped a little and that I at least replied on the right thread :). I've been into the mechanics of disc golf for at least the last 5 years of my 6+ yrs playing and was even being coached personally by Blake for about 6 months so I hope that all of my opinions ideas aren't taken as being spoken by a newbie :)
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby patdabunny » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 pm

black udder wrote:You know, as crazy as it sounds, I looked at what you wrote, I read all the articles, but it wasn't until I worked with somebody 1x1 and asked a bunch of questions that it all clicked. Now when I read whatever you write (like the 7 things"), it is a matter of "well duh". Before though, I was focusing on doing those things, and doing them all poorly or not at all or (in the worst case) thought I was doing it, but really wasn't.

I know this is an ooooooooold topic to resurrect and to quote, but I thought it appropriate. Blake, this is EXACTLY what happens to me. I told you a while back that I learn best from teachers. BU's situation prior to teaching is my situation right now. Granted, it's improved somewhat from all your and everyone's help.

black udder wrote:I see people throwing out on the course and they're not throwing right (form, not just nose down) and I just want to run over and give them a lesson. Once it's shown to you and you understand it, it's SO simple. You just can't fathom how you just didn't get it before. I'd bet that many throwers who are quite adept can't explain what they're doing or why what they do works. Strange for sure.

BU, if you see me out on the course, feel free to come out and give me a lesson! I'll accept any advice and help, anytime! :lol:
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

drledford93 wrote:
black udder wrote:You know, as crazy as it sounds, I looked at what you wrote, I read all the articles, but it wasn't until I worked with somebody 1x1 and asked a bunch of questions that it all clicked. Now when I read whatever you write (like the 7 things"), it is a matter of "well duh". Before though, I was focusing on doing those things, and doing them all poorly or not at all or (in the worst case) thought I was doing it, but really wasn't.

I know this is an ooooooooold topic to resurrect and to quote, but I thought it appropriate. Blake, this is EXACTLY what happens to me. I told you a while back that I learn best from teachers. BU's situation prior to teaching is my situation right now. Granted, it's improved somewhat from all your and everyone's help.

black udder wrote:I see people throwing out on the course and they're not throwing right (form, not just nose down) and I just want to run over and give them a lesson. Once it's shown to you and you understand it, it's SO simple. You just can't fathom how you just didn't get it before. I'd bet that many throwers who are quite adept can't explain what they're doing or why what they do works. Strange for sure.

BU, if you see me out on the course, feel free to come out and give me a lesson! I'll accept any advice and help, anytime! :lol:

If you ever come through VA, just gimme a hollar. I am one of those that can't do but I believe I do know what to do. Hoping that as this year goes by, I'll improve a little more. Each year little things improve and I'm able to do things I couldn't before. I've had my moments where I'll birdie a 400'+ hole (due to elevation, etc.) or I'll park a 350'+ hole, which previously I wouldn't even come close to reaching.

I know that if you're up Dan's way, he'll give you the skinny on throwing and he *can* practice what he preaches :P
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby patdabunny » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:35 am

Yeah, I've seen Dan's stuff on the net. Wow. FD was right--he is more machine than bear! :D

I can get it out to about 360-375 and birdie stuff out to 400' or so due to my putting range out to 40'. But, at this point I'd be ecstatic to be able to throw 400' accurately. That's pretty much all you need on most courses. Now the new, converted ball-golf courses which are averaging like 600' per hole. That's kinda stoopid if you ask me... :roll:

I'm also starting to work more on my FH, as I'm pretty close to my BH in distance and it's easier for me to throw that way. Plus, I'm making gaines pretty much every time I practice it. As well, there is no rim-width diameter issue like there is in BH!

Thanks and I hope you get to your goals this year!

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:52 pm

drledford93 wrote:

Yeah, I see lots of people strong arming or doing things that would only take a simple verbal exchange to fix. Sometimes it is awkward to tell them, especially since I only throw up to ~380' and they would obviously be more interested in hearing what I had to say if I threw 500'+.

In any case, I think this is an important function of a disc golf club...if you are a more senior player in that organization and see a junior player struggling with poor form, then it is your duty to teach them.

drledford93 wrote:Now the new, converted ball-golf courses which are averaging like 600' per hole. That's kinda stoopid if you ask me... :roll:

Heh, I agree completely. This is true even of defunct ball-golf courses that never went anywhere, and were subsequently converted to disc golf. Milo McIver is one of these, and kinda boring if it weren't for the fantastic scenery and vibe, and a handful of wooded holes added in as an afterthought. Anyways, I'd much rather play a good mixed course, with tight fairways and tunnel, up and down elevation, lots of risk and reward, etc.; even if such a course only has holes up to 400' it can still rate a 10/10 for me.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:14 am

patdabunny wrote:I can get it out to about 360-375 and birdie stuff out to 400' or so due to my putting range out to 40'. But, at this point I'd be ecstatic to be able to throw 400' accurately. That's pretty much all you need on most courses. Now the new, converted ball-golf courses which are averaging like 600' per hole. That's kinda stoopid if you ask me... :roll:
I'm kinda the opposite on that part: If there's one thing about disc golf that I don't like it's how short the courses and holes are. I really really wish disc golf would move into a direction where the average hole would be a proper par 4, requiring two shots (or an amazing first one) to reach the target, as it is in golf. A par 3 for me feels like a light snack, whereas a nice par four demands that you actually PLAY it. An 18 hole course with, say, 10 par 4s, 4 par 3s and 1-4 par 5s would be an absolutely great standard for courses, provided it's designed intelligently. Just putting long holes on open fields isn't intelligent course design.

Unfortunately that'd mean disc golf courses would start requiring almost as much land as golf courses, so I doubt we'll be seeing anything like that anytime soon...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Monocacy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Agreed - I don't throw very far, but two-shot holes are much more interesting than deuce-or-die holes. And with tight fairways that require control and line-shaping rather than distance, you don't need quite as much land.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 pm

while i enjoy have some par 4 mixed i don't have a big arm. give my a short technical course over a long open one any day. Now technical par 4 where you have to hit landing zones for your next shot rock.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Previous

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review