Wanted: Non-current run Rocs

A place where people can buy, sell, and trade disc golf equipment. Trade at your own risk.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wanted: Non-current run Rocs

Postby Terrence » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm

I just acquired the Roc on the left for $6 from a vendor at the state championship tourney last weekend. It's the non-poppytop one. I doubt these Rocs are incredibly rare since I paid so little. Anyone have some of these they want to sell? (Provided picture of current run poppytop roc for comparison.) I'd prefer a 170-ish weight, however any weight will suffice.

http://indago.613-digital.com/rocs.jpg
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: Wanted: Non-current run Rocs

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Terrence wrote:I just acquired the Roc on the left for $6 from a vendor at the state championship tourney last weekend. It's the non-poppytop one. I doubt these Rocs are incredibly rare since I paid so little. Anyone have some of these they want to sell? (Provided picture of current run poppytop roc for comparison.) I'd prefer a 170-ish weight, however any weight will suffice.

http://indago.613-digital.com/rocs.jpg

What is non poppy top? Is this a flattop?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Terrence » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm not 100% sure if the blue one is what they consider a flat top Roc. It appears not quite so domey as the yellow one (brand new from this year.) I've started throwing rocs this year, so I'm not too versed in the different stamps and how flat they make them.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:11 am

They still make flat top Rocs. Search the internet for "Ching Rocs" for extremely flattop Rocs, or search vendors for flat top Rocs, Reds are more often than not the ones that are flat.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:23 am

there is a roc with a design called "zen basket", its flat top
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:04 am

Weebl wrote:They still make flat top Rocs. Search the internet for "Ching Rocs" for extremely flattop Rocs, or search vendors for flat top Rocs, Reds are more often than not the ones that are flat.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

That is what I have been calling a "full color" ROC. I never knew it was called a Ching Roc. The Ching Roc is the one to get. Accept no substitute!!! Best Roc ever made!!!

http://sandbaggers.safeshopper.com/32/417.htm?523
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Terrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:34 am

Arhg. I just placed a $15 bid on a ching roc on eBay. I really hope someone outbids me now. :oops: Thanks for the link Bradley. The one I bid on does have a really cool stamp on it though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:25 pm

redspexxx wrote:there is a roc with a design called "zen basket", its flat top

That's a ching roc... It is a rad stamp I agree.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

flatties

Postby RustyP » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:30 pm

From what I've read, the flat-tops are so flat due to the stamping process. anybody know anything else about this? is it the size of the stamp in relation to the size of the disc that flattens it out? maybe something related to the full-color process?

I have 2 flatties in my bag - an older one with the "ring of rocs" stamp, and a new 2006 TX10-stamped one made of the "new" dx plastic - a lot more durable, and doesnt come off in chunks when you hit a tree. The only thing that sucks about them is paying 10-12 bucks for DX plastic...but it's definitely worth it.

The best flat top I've ever thown was an old '97 (or so I'm told) Ching - it had the big peace sign stamp with the word "ching" in the middle. I dont see too many of those around. Perfectly grippy, flew totally straight until it hit the ground....man i miss that disc. :(

Now if only they could make a flat-top Roc in champion or star plastic. I'll keep my fingers crossed for next year's fundraiser rocs...
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: flatties

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm

RustyP wrote:From what I've read, the flat-tops are so flat due to the stamping process. anybody know anything else about this? is it the size of the stamp in relation to the size of the disc that flattens it out? maybe something related to the full-color process?

I have 2 flatties in my bag - an older one with the "ring of rocs" stamp, and a new 2006 TX10-stamped one made of the "new" dx plastic - a lot more durable, and doesnt come off in chunks when you hit a tree.

Innova told me they don't make a flattop on purpose.

Where did you get your 2006 tx 10 stamped disc?

Star might be cool.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 am

I'd like to try Rocs in the new DX. They come out flat due to variations that sometimes can and can not be controlled, temperature of cooling area, dx blend, ect. The Ching stamp process (any full color stamp is printed with the ching method) involves a lot of heat pressing on the top of the disc and consequentially makes it very flat. The 2006 Champion Glow Roc I have is very flat top, the star and SB seem domey but some champion Rocs (throwback stamp) ive seen with very flat tops.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Re: flatties

Postby RustyP » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:04 am

Bradley Walker wrote:Where did you get your 2006 tx 10 stamped disc?.

I picked them up at the Cedar Hill TX10 event - got 4 of 'em with some of my pay-out. They had 2 stamps: one with a TX flag design, and another with a skull (different from the Innova "ching" skull - orignial TX10 design).

On the skull design, it says "Texas 10 Disc Golf Rocks!" - I'm thinking about removing the "k" in "rocks"....make it a little more appropriate :wink:
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Texas Made » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:32 pm

The new ones with the Innova skull logo are nice and flat...
They are also $10 bucks new at most places...I agree, the flat tops are much better. I carry one flat, one with dome. I use the flatty in the wind and the domed one for downhills....It makes it glide forever..
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade