Pictures of your vintage discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Pictures of your vintage discs

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 am

This is one of those strange discs to think back on. Innova and/or Discraft really didn't have a pig of a midrange until the very late 90's, but Lightning had this strangely overstable disc on the market in the late 80's! As I recall, one of these new out of the box was a great wind-buster.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13 am

Another disc. I don't remember a damn thing about this one, other than it was re-tooled a bunch of times.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 am

This is a P-38-J Lightning. It's a re-design of the P-38 Lightning that has a larger diameter, less dome and is more overstable than the original. It's the # 2 Hookshot now.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:21 am

An F-14 Tomcat. It was a flippy little POS. I didn't really throw them very much.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:26 am

An SBD Dauntless. It's the # 1 Hookshot now, so I guess it is a little overstable. I don't think I actually ever threw one. It's a nice color, though! :P
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 am

OK, I think I'm all airplane-stamped out. This is the last one, an F-6 Hellcat.
Again, I'm not sure that I ever threw one. It's the # 1 slice now, so it a slow, big-diameter flippy driver. Maybe I'm not so dumb for having never thrown one! :P

That's it. Lightning orgy over.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:34 am

Working Stiff wrote:Image

Wikipedia wrote:Aurora (also credited as the SR-91 Aurora) is the popular name for a hypothesised United States reconnaissance aircraft, believed by conspiracy theorists to be capable of hypersonic flight (speeds of over Mach 5). According to the hypothesis, the Aurora was developed in the 1980s or 1990s as a replacement for the aging and expensive SR-71 Blackbird.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:45 am

Ted Damson wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:Image

Wikipedia wrote:Aurora (also credited as the SR-91 Aurora) is the popular name for a hypothesised United States reconnaissance aircraft, believed by conspiracy theorists to be capable of hypersonic flight (speeds of over Mach 5). According to the hypothesis, the Aurora was developed in the 1980s or 1990s as a replacement for the aging and expensive SR-71 Blackbird.
So Zam is into conspiracy theories. Who would have guessed? :P

Interesting stuff. You learn something new every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_aircraft
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:07 am

This has got the be the oldest disc I still have. It's a San Marino beadless Aviar XD.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Shuttle Putter! No, not a Shuttle Puppy, this one is an Aviar reissue they did of the stamp for World's in '93.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 am

The 15th Wintertime Open was in '93 as well. This disc is actually a big bead in soft putter plastic, which is cool to me at least. When this tournament was held, two-color stamps were unheard of except for the big Big BIG events.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:23 am

"Sigh"...Here is an old Club disc. The big #16 basket was in reference to the signature hole on the antediluvian Creve Coeur course, which dates this disc to pre-1993. If you look just above the water it says "Host of the Gateway Open" which was the name of our big tournament before Davey Mac convinced folks he needed the name for one of his events so that people would not get confused.
RIP St. Louis Disc Golf Club. Yes it was flawed, but it was my Club. Now it is gone.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 am

Who puts a black disc on a black background and takes a picture? I guess I flunk photography 101.

This is another favorite. If you look at the front of Lindbergh's plane, the design of a #16 basket has been added to it.
In a way it makes me sad, discs from a Club that is no more referencing a course design that was destroyed in a flood. It's still a cool disc, though.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Roy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:59 am

Nice discs working stiff. I like that Tomcat :lol:
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Roy wrote:Nice discs working stiff. I like that Tomcat :lol:
I knew you would. :P I used to have a lot of extra airplane discs, but they took a beating in my wife's ebay disc purge a few years back. I know I had eight Spitfires alone, but now I'm down to two. The only discs I have extras of at this point are the ones that were in the hidden glow box. I should have hid them all!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion