average max Roc/midrange

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby trogdor » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:34 pm

roadkill wrote:My definition of a mid is a disc that has a blunt, rounded edge. Those with sharper, beveled edges are no doubt drivers.
Caveat: the champion cobra is much more midish than the original dx design.

Yeah, looking at the profile of a cobra and roc, it becomes very clear that these are very closely related. Perhaps the retools of rocs have made it more cobraish and the retools of cobras have made it more rocish.

I guess this leads to a question. If I'm comfortable throwing a "fairway driver" down to 280 and comfortable throwing a putter to 280, do I need a TRUE mid?
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:59 pm

It comes down to personal preference.

I generally try to throw the slowest, most forgiving disc I can comfortably reach a certain distance with. Slower discs have more margin for error and usually hold a straighter line for longer periods of time. Higher speed discs have a more pronounced low speed fade as well as more skip tendencies which can be harder to control on finesse shots.

The putter I have the most control with up to about 220' (even though I can max throw it 270'). Once I hit 230' I go with a mid til about 290' at which point I'll bump up to a slow fairway driver. I usually go with a high speed driver once I get over 330'.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Weebl » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 pm

Whatever you're more comfortable with and work well with in your game. I prefer having something that I can throw straight up to 325' using Putters>Rocs. If I need to do that distance and not straight I have a few options: Roc (new-beat), Spirit(very overstable driver), Gazelle. Depending on how far left/right movement I need. Basically, read the first sentance i posted, if you can fulfil all these shots more or less with roughly the same # of molds or less, you're good.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion