Gaiters

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gaiters

Postby Jaysus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Does anyone use these for disc golf? I want to get a pair, but was concerned with the under boot strap on the pair I checked out today - it was leather with a metal buckle. Could that cause issues with my footwork?

I just found ones like this online @ REI:

I am thinking that would do the trick related to the footwork... but would the boot straps then be subject to potential ripping from concrete tee pads?

I am thinking I would use them on either snowy days, or inordinately wet days, as I no longer own rain pants at this point - stupid prickers :(

So, anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Gaiters

Postby spitfire » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Do you plan on wearing them with shoes or boots? If boots I think you would be fine. I think with shoes you would have to replace the strap at least every winter. I have North Face shoes that I have gaiters for but they actually strap to the shoe so nothing goes under the shoe to break or mess up your footing.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Jaysus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

In all likelihood, I would be wearing them with my Keen Targhee II's:

I have taken a look at the boot since posting this, and it looks like there is enough "arch clearance" (I made that term up) that the straps may be fine either way. I imagine that someone has some experience with them though.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:41 am

I have big gaiters with a buckled rubber strap on the bottom, Image
and also some lighter ones with a corded instep strap more like the ones in the original post. Image

I don't normally use either for disc, but lately I have been wearing the small ones to keep snow out of my shoes while I'm golfing. I would recommend the OR Flex Tex gaiters for golf. They are light, breathable and low profile. Basically nothing extra you don't need just for keeping snow and other crap out of your shoes and boots.

The cord instep strap shouldn't affect your golf footwork at all. The cord does wear out after a while, but it's no big deal cause you just tie a new one on with any small diameter cord you happen to have on hand.

velcro > zippers
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solbo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am

I use tent cord for my gaiters, I have calf length, and just ankle ones as well.

Buy REI. They are superior.. the little hook faces up instead of DOWN like most.. up is the way to go.

I wear mine in EVERY round of disc I play... in summer ankle ones obviously.. and don't just calf ones unless snow is super deep and I need more warmth...

they are great and shouldnt hinder your footwork at ALL.
Solbo's Hodgepodge (trade list)

Hey that's ME! @ 51 Seconds...

**Nuke | Wraith | Orc | Force | River | Firebird | Q-Sent | Roc | Meteor | Stingray | Magnet**
Solbo
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Stamped Roc

Postby Fritz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

+1 on the REI. They rock, I've had them for 4 years and they still work like the day I bought them. They are extremely tough and top quality.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear