Tuning the epic

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tuning the epic

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:14 am

Soooooooooo. Is it legal to tune the epic or really any other disc during a round? I've heard several different opinions over the weekend.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Re: Tuning the epic

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 am

It's legal to do whatever you want to tune your disc during a round.
As long as you don't break it or create a crack in it making it an illegal disc.

I've found the best way to tune an Epic is to put in this device and let it do the tuning for me.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 am

AciDBatH666 wrote:I've found the best way to tune an Epic is to put in this device and let it do the tuning for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: nice one. Maybe he likes to throw overhand?
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:52 am

GorillaTactics wrote:
AciDBatH666 wrote:I've found the best way to tune an Epic is to put in this device and let it do the tuning for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: nice one. Maybe he likes to throw overhand?

Yup I do throw overhand and will bend the crap out of the epic before I throw it. Then I watch it fly 450+ over trees and whatever else is in the way.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Beetard » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:42 pm

Do you bend the rim up or down? I'm gonna guess down. The more high speed understable you make it, the more overhand distance you get, right?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 am

Beetard wrote:Do you bend the rim up or down? I'm gonna guess down. The more high speed understable you make it, the more overhand distance you get, right?

I bend it directly in half right when they are new. Touch the large side of the rim to the small. Then from this point I'll bend it either up or down based on when I want it to flip and glide. There is a little bending prior to every shot depending on wind, distance and line. Then throw it higher and harder than you think you need to, watch it go.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby LaForce » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:35 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:It's legal to do whatever you want to tune your disc during a round.
As long as you don't break it or create a crack in it making it an illegal disc.

I've found the best way to tune an Epic is to put in this device and let it do the tuning for me.

hAtE HaTe hAtE
LaForce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby tumpsi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 am

HUG THE HATERS
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:01 am

Kim DQ'ed for Using Altered Driver

SHANGHAI, China (Nov. 9) - Anthony Kim was disqualified Sunday from the HSBC Champions for playing with an altered driver.
Kim, a star in the United States' Ryder Cup victory over Europe two months ago, accidentally hit a sprinkler head as he tapped his driver on the ground while walking down the seventh fairway. "I wasn't angry or anything, just walking down the fairway," Kim said. "The toe hit the sprinkler, hit the top of the sprinkler, and I looked at it and it looked a little bit different. But I wasn't sure and I put it in my bag."

At the eighth, he hit his first drive only 150 yards, and out of bounds. He then hit a second provisional shot - also poorly. He took a triple-bogey 8 on the hole and played two more before he found a rules official, who told him he must disqualify himself for playing with an altered club. Kim was disqualified under rule 4-3b, said Andy McFee, European tour referee.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 am

I can see why this is releveant in Golf, where it would be easy to tell if the club had been altered. (IE. it had visual signs that it had been altered) and more importantly you would assume that its easier to give a club the same behaviour no matter how many times you make it - very unlike discgolf. Where you get drivers in the same mold, that flightwise are all over the place. As long as this is the case, I think it should be legal for players to try and tune their discs to behave alike.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm

So if you taco a disc you can't bend it back flat? If youget a brand new disc that wasn't sitting in the box flat and has a curve to it can you fix it? It's really hard to define exactly where to draw the line especially since you can't tell if someone tuned their disc. (unless you see them do it). I don't see how you can stroke someone for an altered disc unless you can go get an official than can tell the disc has been altered after the fact. So I would say that, in general, tuning is ok.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Dogma » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:16 pm

I'd like clarification on this too. The rule states:

802.01 Discs Used in Play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

Since tuning is intended to alter flight characteristics, I read it as illegal. However, if you hit a tree, then bend your disc back to the way it was, isn't that just returning it to its original characteristics? Paging Chuck...
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby curt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:39 pm

There was recently a big long discussion on this over on the pdga boards. It was a nasty, long drawn out event. The conclusion was that a lot of people feel very passionately on both sides, but not real conclusion was come to as far as its legality. (Most said they would do it anyway). I believe the official ruling ended up being it is legal to tune discs. (though, I don't recall a satisfactory reasoning)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby roman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:17 am

There are certain discs I throw that come out of the factory flat with some runs and domey with others. I don't really care for the flat ones, so if I happen to get my hands on some I just pour boiling water inside them while they're upside down and let the water cool. It brings the dome back out just how I like it. That's clearly in violation of that PDGA rule, but they can eat it for all I care. I'm just making sure all my molds are uniform and fly the same.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Since tuning is intended to alter flight characteristics, I read it as illegal. However, if you hit a tree, then bend your disc back to the way it was, isn't that just returning it to its original characteristics? Paging Chuck...

It's the same thing, ANY bending = tuning, even flexing your putter in your hand before you putt (if your interpret the rule as it is written). I will continue to bend the shit out of my epics and "return them to their original flight characteristics" if anyone says anything about it.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Rules Discussion