NYC Courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

NYC Courses

Postby SkaBob » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Is Prospect park the only/best game in town? I'm in NYC for a week at the end of the month and I'd love to play a round of golf the saturday morning I'm waiting around for the train...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: NYC Courses

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:48 pm

That is my understanding. I talked to a guy from NYC who told me object courses was all they could ever hope for because if they installed baskets in the City, they would get stripped of the chain and basket assemblies overnight and sold for scrap.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Craig Smolin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:46 pm

If (and this is a big if) you have access to a car, you can go upstate on the Saw Mill-Taconic Pkwy to FDR State Park and then over to Mt. Kisco (Leonard Park). Or go up into CT on the Hutch-Merrit Pkwys and hit Fairfield U, Cranbury Park, and Waveny Park....
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby tim » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Totally worth it to head out to Warwick. It's not that far from the city, and one of the best courses in the country. Two tees, two permanent baskets on each hole. And it's an amazing place to play, with lots of friendly locals. You can easily spend the day there and be very glad you did.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 pm

tim wrote:Totally worth it to head out to Warwick. It's not that far from the city, and one of the best courses in the country. Two tees, two permanent baskets on each hole. And it's an amazing place to play, with lots of friendly locals. You can easily spend the day there and be very glad you did.

:!: All excellent points, and I agree wholeheartedly. If I was in NY and didn't go to Warwick it would be a wasted trip in my opinion.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:33 am

How long does it take to get to Warwick? I'll have no car (taking the train to NYC), and I'll basically only have the morning of saturday to play, I think...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Craig Smolin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 am

forgot about warwick myself, but being in Fairfield County, CT, going out Warwick doesn't often cross my mind.

however, without a car, it will be very difficult to get there. I think there's a train that goes into town, but then you'll need to get to the park, which is about 20 minutes away by car. And not at all walkable ... especially in upstate NY winter weather...

you could also try to get to Campgaw Ski Mountain in NJ though ...
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses