Max strokes per hole (most attention grabbing topic evar!!1)

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Max strokes per hole (most attention grabbing topic evar!!1)

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Furthur wrote:
Chuck Kennedy wrote:- Rick Rothstein shot a 21 on hole 12 known as 888 in the second round of the 2002 USDGC. That was the record until Marty Hapner shot 26 on hole 17 in round one of the 2007 USDGC.

Hmm. I'm going to have Rick about this one now.

I thought Jim Conrad broke the record first in 2006 USDGC when he shot a 24 on the same hole?

We gave him so much crap. Anytime someone shot a 6, we yelled Quarter Conrad.
lol
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:05 pm

In the 2006 USDGC, I show Jim Conrad with a 20 on hole 9. An 8 was the highest score he shot on 888 (hole 13).
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby niblick83 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Jim Conrad plays at my home course in Christiansburg now and he said that he shot a 20 on one hole (didn't specify the hole when he was telling about it). He also claims that he still beat one of the other players on his card during that round even with a 20. Incidentally his son is a great golfer with the potential to break the 1000 barrier pretty soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both go back to the USDGC.
niblick83
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah, at a local tournament here <the Summertime Open> we had a guy shoot a 21 on a 220 foot par 3. It's about 15-20' downhill and there are 3 20-30 foot circles full of sand. Everything else is OB. The pin is set on the farthest of them but some people just can't stop going for it. The guy did get a free disc out of it because Bamba felt sorry for him :P
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:36 am

niblick83 wrote:Jim Conrad plays at my home course in Christiansburg now and he said that he shot a 20 on one hole (didn't specify the hole when he was telling about it). He also claims that he still beat one of the other players on his card during that round even with a 20. Incidentally his son is a great golfer with the potential to break the 1000 barrier pretty soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both go back to the USDGC.

Jim and his son came down to the Battlefield Open in 2008 and our local young stud said that the son threw his beat aviar 90% of the time and this is over 2 courses both long and short. I didn't see them play, but I understand that he was throwing it over 300'. This was a disc that our guy said looked and felt like it was ready for putting only. He was quite impressive (although he came in 2nd).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby marmoset » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 am

Jim and James Conrad are both beasts. I guarantee James (the son) can throw his Aviars well past 300'. He is a 500' thrower I think (our local course doesn't let me see how far he can throw). He only throws putters during the monthlys. They both spank me anytime I play with them. I have only beat one of them once and that's 'cuz he was having a horrendous day.

If Jim got a 24 on one of the holes then I would HATE to see what I get at Winthrop.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Midnightbiker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 am

Ok, I have to ask this. How in the world can you shoot that many shots on one hole? That must be a hell of a hole.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 am

Midnightbiker wrote:Ok, I have to ask this. How in the world can you shoot that many shots on one hole? That must be a hell of a hole.

Most of them aren't actual shots. Multilple OB penalties.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Dogma » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am

Midnightbiker wrote:Ok, I have to ask this. How in the world can you shoot that many shots on one hole? That must be a hell of a hole.

If one of them is 17 at Winthrop then the green is a small island. Water behind it and everything between the tee and the green is OB. It used to be played that if you missed the green you had to re-tee, even if your throw had passed over the green. So you had multiple OBs, plus you were losing the discs that were best suited to the hole and having to throw less appropriate ones. There was a good article about it and how it has changed over the years in the latest issue of Flying Disc Magazine.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion