It's on Bi**hes

Official Announcements about the DGR site

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: It's on Bi**hes

Postby Blink » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I won't be able to make it out there Friday since I work at night, but not on the weekend so will this be Saturday at Greenbelt? Like noonish or wha?
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Noonish would be cool for me...that'll give me time to catch a round at Harry Myers on my way into town ;) If earlier is better for any reason, that's cool too...I come to Dallas often anyway, so it's not like I can't play Rockwall the next time I'm there.

Speaking of playing rounds of golf...what does everyone think of a flip-up doubles game one day before or after the clinic session? Awesome-er the course, the better (so no Greenbelt :D )

PS - Any Austinites coming up for this one? Houston? Okies? ROLL CALL!!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Blink wrote:I won't be able to make it out there Friday since I work at night, but not on the weekend so will this be Saturday at Greenbelt? Like noonish or wha?

That sounds fine to me.

Can you get Phil to come too? I can call him if necessary.

I will bring Brick...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blink » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm

I could play on Friday, but I would have to leave kinda early at like 3 or 330, probably even earlier if I would be fighting some rush hour. I could probably play wherever though if we met up at like 11 am or earlier. I can also maybe get a few friends to go if we plan it today.

I should have gone to the mini on Sunday and told everyone, but maybe I can catch a few out there for the Wednesday night mini before I go to work.

PMing you Brad.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Leopard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:31 pm

RustyP wrote:PS - Any Austinites coming up for this one? Houston? Okies? ROLL CALL!!

got a conference in Austin on Saturday; not gonna make it to DFW
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Phil is free Sunday, but not Saturday.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:38 pm

if one saturday or sunday is gonna be better weatherwise, can probably make some kind of scheduling around that.

i don't really care hehe.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 am

Blake_T wrote:if one saturday or sunday is gonna be better weatherwise, can probably make some kind of scheduling around that.

i don't really care hehe.

Nobody cares what you think, Blake. :lol:
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:03 pm

So, are we shooting for 12 as the official start time? We're not coming into Dallas until tomorrow morning, so I want to make sure I time things right.

Greenbelt, right?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Blink » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm

I have a friend or two tagging along, planning on getting out there between noon and 1. Told some others but it looks like we'll at least have a few DGRers hah. Its Greenbelt I think, but idk if we're still doing anything with the field by Bradley's. Probably one at Greenbelt if we're going there, but I'll be free pretty much all day anyways.

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:36 am

RustyP wrote:So, are we shooting for 12 as the official start time? We're not coming into Dallas until tomorrow morning, so I want to make sure I time things right.

Greenbelt, right?

Right.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:26 pm

Any follow up on this weekend? Any tips, anything you guys found out that you didn't know, or find out something that you were doing wrong that would help others? Anything?
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 pm

bcsst26 wrote:Any follow up on this weekend? Any tips, anything you guys found out that you didn't know, or find out something that you were doing wrong that would help others? Anything?

I'm still trying to process quite a bit of it...we covered a LOT (some of the not-so-easy-to-comprehend stuff came after midnight, so my brain wasn't working at full capacity :D ). On Saturday we covered mostly driving techniques...how to position the body & follow through for a true spike hyzer, how to throw a correct control BH roller, proper "run-up" for a 360 throw, throwing an elbow-friendly forehand...those were all things I *thought* I knew how to do already, but was shown otherwise ;)

Wrist extension....we talked about and worked on this quite a bit. I had never even thought about this before, and it turns out that on my usual drive I wasn't extending my wrist at all...it was actually still turned in towards my body upon release. Just having that pointed out helped my drive a little, and Brad came up with a drill to further develop it. I won't go into too much detail yet, as Brad could probably better explain the drill than me.

At the end of Saturday's session and pretty much all of Sunday we focused on putting...Blake worked with each of us individually. This was the most immediately useful part of the whole weekend for me! I've been working on releasing the disc from the bottom of my palm (push putt) for a little while, and I kinda had that part down already...but Blake pointed out that I was still rotating my wrist downward upon release, causing nose-up. After he showed me that the wrist needs to open outward, I saw an immediate improvement in accuracy. We worked on apex putting too, but I'm going to need a lot of practice on that before it really clicks...I understand the concept, but I was having a hard time aiming at the right point above the basket on longer putts.

On Saturday night we sat around Brad's living room and geeked-out on discs...the future of disc design, how to pick out a good Roc/Teebird, etc etc. Brad and Blake both know their shit when it comes to disc design, so it was really fun listening to their insights.

Finally, the most exciting part was when Blake had an epiphany late Sat night about toe-pivot. We stood out in Brad's yard in the middle of the night and worked on a new concept...I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it, so I won't say much more...don't want to explain it the wrong way. Maybe Brad or Blake could expound on this topic a bit more?
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Wow sounds like some good stuff. Hopefully Brad can chime in a little on some of the stuff. I am sure it will add to my ever changing throw. There has been some good discussion around here lately and I am sure that this stuff will add to it. Thanks for your input RustyP.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Blake seemed very excited about the toe-pivot...I can't really explain it in words, but after drilling with him, I can feel it when I hit it right. He said that it *might* be the most useful part of the throw for advanced level players trying to get that magical extra distance...but again, he or Brad will probably need to explain what it is exactly, since both of them are much better at putting these abstract ideas into words than I am.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Review Official Announcements