Approach Discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Approach Discs

Postby Weebl » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:21 am

I have unusually large hands and I find power gripping putters (JK Aviar-X) to be very uncomfortable (and inconsistant) and I can't go over ~90 feet with a fan grip. I'm having to resort to using mid-range discs (Roc or Buzzz) for approach and it's hard for me to get the correct distance I want, or underestimate the overstability at lower speeds. Is there any approach disc out there with a wider rim that I can fool around with and see if it will help my approach, or should I just grunt the discomfort and keep practicing with my aviars?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:21 am

if you are only able to throw 90' with a fan grip there is likely something wrong with your grip and/or form.

approach shots are the easiest to practice as they require the least amount of space and least amount of fetching. i have pictures of like 30 grips on my grip article, i suggest experimenting and finding something that works.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:49 pm

As simple as the solution you just said (Thanks by the way) I didn't see it. I'll try experimenting with other grips, my technique isn't perfect but after tweaking my power grip today to get my index finger pad flush against the inside of the rim I was getting more snap accuracy and distance than ever (300'-350' static throwing, and where I wanted it as long as I kept my elbow level with my wrist when pulling through) So I'm guessing my technique isn't too bad either. I'll experiment with some other grips next time I throw.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment