Postby JKP » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Is there some routine to stop wrist roll? I cant seem to fix it on my putting
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby Beetard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm assuming you mean roll to the right making your putts come out anhyzer?

Put the disc farther back in your palm. Your palm should be the last thing that touches the disc when it leaves your hand.

Try hyzer putting for a while

Try practicing shorter putts too. I find that I start anhyzering my putts by accident when I'm trying to putt too far
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:20 pm

is it rolling in a bad way to where you miss all the time?
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:12 am

yea id say 90% of my misses are to the right. Its usually came out of anny half way before it gets there.. but i want it out!
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am

So I'm guessing that you spin putt? I'd suggest working on a push putt release, with more hyzer. Climo always says that he envisions that he's throwing a weight at the basket, trying to get the least amount of spin necessary.

If you're rolling a putt over, my best guess is that it's due to too much spin.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby rehder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 am

ferretdance03 wrote:So I'm guessing that you spin putt? I'd suggest working on a push putt release, with more hyzer. Climo always says that he envisions that he's throwing a weight at the basket, trying to get the least amount of spin necessary.

If you're rolling a putt over, my best guess is that it's due to too much spin.

I doubt that the spin you produce in a spinputt is enough to get a putter to turn right. Its much more likely that which you already said, that your wrist rotates clockwise (that would be that your palm rotates faceup) when you putt. Ideally you just want to extend your wrist, without rolling your wrist

Focus on deliberatly hyzerputting for a while. And dont focus on whether you hit the putt, when doing this drill. But focus on whether it held a hyzer line.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 am

rehder wrote:I doubt that the spin you produce in a spinputt is enough to get a putter to turn right.

I didn't mean so much that the spin is causing the disc to "flip;" just that a spin putt release is more likely to cause over-rotating of the wrist (like you said) than a push putt is.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:27 pm

I used to putt with my thumb at 12 o'clock before the stroke, releasing close to 3 o'clock...which caused a lot of spin. That part was easy to fix: I just started with my thumb at 3, which forced the disc out of my hand with the thumb at/near 6 o'clock...I could immediately tell that this forced more of a push than a spin. However, I was still having trouble getting the nose down.

This past weekend Blake pointed out something that I had never noticed before...even though I was releasing with my hand pretty much at the back of the disc, I was rolling my wrist in upon release (thumb towards the ground) which was causing most of the nose-up. Blake demonstrated that the wrist needs to open outward(to the right for right-handers) almost 90-degrees with the forearm, with the index finger pointing slightly downward. With this stroke the disc comes out flat and dives nose-down as soon as it loses velocity...which made aiming at the apex much easier for me to understand. After throwing just 20-30 putts focusing on opening my wrist in the correct direction, I could already see a big improvement.

...hopefully I explained all of that right...
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby inthedrift » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 pm

That makes perfect sense - I've been practicing my putting as much as I can lately (now that we've finally come out of a two week cold snap that made practice impossible for the fingers) and I think I've noticed the same thing. Any other good insights from the weekend?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:28 pm

inthedrift wrote:That makes perfect sense - I've been practicing my putting as much as I can lately (now that we've finally come out of a two week cold snap that made practice impossible for the fingers) and I think I've noticed the same thing. Any other good insights from the weekend?

I just posted on the "It's on B***s" thread...but like I said there, I'm still trying to process a lot of what Blake went over with us. I need to hit the field several more times before I can give a real, useful description or any kind of tips. The insights he gave me on my putting stroke (that I wrote above) were probably the most useful and definitely the most easy to understand.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

RustyP wrote:I used to putt with my thumb at 12 o'clock before the stroke, releasing close to 3 o'clock...which caused a lot of spin. That part was easy to fix: I just started with my thumb at 3, which forced the disc out of my hand with the thumb at/near 6 o'clock...I could immediately tell that this forced more of a push than a spin. However, I was still having trouble getting the nose down.

This past weekend Blake pointed out something that I had never noticed before...even though I was releasing with my hand pretty much at the back of the disc, I was rolling my wrist in upon release (thumb towards the ground) which was causing most of the nose-up. Blake demonstrated that the wrist needs to open outward(to the right for right-handers) almost 90-degrees with the forearm, with the index finger pointing slightly downward. With this stroke the disc comes out flat and dives nose-down as soon as it loses velocity...which made aiming at the apex much easier for me to understand. After throwing just 20-30 putts focusing on opening my wrist in the correct direction, I could already see a big improvement.

...hopefully I explained all of that right...

dont get the clock

9 3

how can you start at 3?
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

also link me to a good push putter?
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm assuming that Rusty's holding the disc, with the base of his thumb at 3 o'clock, not the tip.

As for a good push putter, Climo is a decent example. :)
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:01 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:I'm assuming that Rusty's holding the disc, with the base of his thumb at 3 o'clock, not the tip.

so my 12 is his 3?
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm

JKP wrote:
ferretdance03 wrote:I'm assuming that Rusty's holding the disc, with the base of his thumb at 3 o'clock, not the tip.

oh so being as i showed, the base of his thumb is at 3..tip at 9?
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique