It's on Bi**hes

Official Announcements about the DGR site

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: It's on Bi**hes

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Fun was had by all.

I was sore as crap on Sunday, I know that. While Blake was working wih the other guys, Blink and I were trying to throw all the way across the field.

He he...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby masterbeato » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm

damn i wish i coulda been there...better than sub zero temps and a shit load of snow hehe

glad you guys had fun!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Finally, the most exciting part was when Blake had an epiphany late Sat night about toe-pivot. We stood out in Brad's yard in the middle of the night and worked on a new concept...I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it, so I won't say much more...don't want to explain it the wrong way. Maybe Brad or Blake could expound on this topic a bit more?

it's basically utilizing the martial arts concepts of using foot rotation to trigger insanely powerful uncoiling motions.

Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I had a killer time, and learned a lot as well. It was an honor to meet everyone there, especially Blake and Brad.
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby JR » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:21 am

Considering how many here have injuries and the fate of Scott Stokely a safe way to throw forehands would be a great article or sticky.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:21 am

Blake_T wrote:
Finally, the most exciting part was when Blake had an epiphany late Sat night about toe-pivot. We stood out in Brad's yard in the middle of the night and worked on a new concept...I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it, so I won't say much more...don't want to explain it the wrong way. Maybe Brad or Blake could expound on this topic a bit more?

it's basically utilizing the martial arts concepts of using foot rotation to trigger insanely powerful uncoiling motions.

Holy crap that is it.

Meet DgDave's new avatar too!!!! :D
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rehder » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 am

at what point is that this occurs, on the first or second plant?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 am

rehder wrote:at what point is that this occurs, on the first or second plant?

second/final plant
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm

one thing that might help...

is if the people that were there (brad, blink, jones, rusty) were to post things they picked up in the technique sections. i've already posted "my way of explaining it" in many of these things before. often it's the "here's how i got it to work for me" explanations that are the ones that can unlock it for others.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Blake_T wrote:one thing that might help...

is if the people that were there (brad, blink, jones, rusty) were to post things they picked up in the technique sections. i've already posted "my way of explaining it" in many of these things before. often it's the "here's how i got it to work for me" explanations that are the ones that can unlock it for others.

For anyone interested in what I learned about "short-arm apex putting" (guess that would be an accurate name for it), check the Wrist roll help thread...my ramblings start about halfway through the first page.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby sunspot » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Great, I missed it. ARGH! I would have gone had I known a little sooner. Oh well.

Edit: Rusty, next time I see either you or Jones I'm going to pull a Riddler from Batman Forever and steal all your thoughts.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 pm

i do this plant when i throw my drives 600'+

but Blake said that he like, modified it a bit from what he showed me about it so i'm at a loss and i am interested in what he showed you guys?

what i know from it is you twist your plant foot almost 180 degrees (which is what i do).
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Jones » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am

The drill that helped me most (besides putting) was this:

The drill consists of standing with both feet facing back and the disc at my chest with the rim opposite of my hand actually touching my body. The foot placement is last part of x-step. I turned facing back with my torso cranked so to speak. I then started the throwing motion. Slowly turning on my right foot and pressing off the back, and right after pushing off the back foot, turned my upper body and around (throwing motion). I had a problem with turning my foot too fast and moving my upper body too fast as well. This is a result of improper throwing for the last four years. Trying to unlearn that is hard. For me it was hard to tell what i was doing wrong until I got it right. You will really feel the difference once you do. Also, what hurt my timing is not having my torso cranked enough. That caused me to turn my upper body too fast.

Hitting everything at the correct time results in an IMMENSE level of power with very little effort. It is such an efficient process when you see someone do it or feel it happen. That is the first time I've had my plant foot turn at ~180 degrees (which is what beato just said he does). I wish I could have been actually throwing when I was hitting that timing right. We were outside in Brad's yard at 1 am at the time so that was a bit out of the question.

To help me get the timing right, Brad held a dog leash that I pulled on while starting the drill. With that, it prevented me from going further than my right pectoral. I could REALLY feel the timing as it forced everything to follow in the correct order at the right time. I could REALLY feel pressing off that back foot and transferring power into the throw. With the leash lifted, I was hitting the time right and it was stretching muscles that haven't really been stretched before when I've thrown. If I would have been throwing those discs, I know I would have killed them.

With my current technique, I found this:
1. Although I had thought I had the disc close to my body, I in fact did not.
2. I only get 30° hyzer and 30° anhyzer.
3. Timing was way off. Although I've hit it good before, it was off 95 percent of the time.
4. Bad wrist extension
5. Incorrect shoulder orientation. I currently throw with my shoulder set for an anhyzer angle. I need to drop it.
6. Plant foot angle needs to be bigger. (feet need to face away from target more)
7. I get decent wrist extension on stand still approaches, way more than driving.
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 am

masterbeato wrote:i do this plant when i throw my drives 600'+

but Blake said that he like, modified it a bit from what he showed me about it so i'm at a loss and i am interested in what he showed you guys?

what i know from it is you twist your plant foot almost 180 degrees (which is what i do).

The point of it is to help open the hips (fast) I assume?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blink » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 am

Its too bad no one had a camera. I've read most of Blake's articles, and thought I understood most of the concepts. Within about ten minutes though he basically showed me a few major things I needed to understand. I've always wanted to learn push putting, but it just seemed impossible to me, and I wondered how some people could create that nose down putt. After Blake and Brad showed me a few things, I could immediately feel the disc actually pushing off my palm. I could make the putt come out nose down if I wanted as well. I feel like this is a solid style I can stick with for good.

The main thing that really corrected my form was my right shoulder (right handed putter). Keeping my torso from turning my right shoulder closer to the basket throughout my putting stroke:

1. Forced my my (right) elbow closer to my side. (and pointing down not out)
2. Kept my putting stroke seemingly shorter. (now I can short-arm putt)
3. Turned my palm slightly upwards instead of downwards on release.

It was crazy too when I took it to practice at the park. Was using the apex technique to basically cut the distance of the putt in half, so I just try to hit the right apex 15ish feet away on a 30 foot putt. I was getting some looks too when every once in a while I would have it down for a few putts, nailing 2 and 3 in a row from 40 feet. Its very accurate with little or no wind, and aiming lower is enough to compensate for strong winds. I've always liked to give my putts just enough to get to the basket, and this style is perfect for that.

Also, Blake you said you weren't trying to make the putt nose down, but I always thought a nose down putt would be more likely to stay in the basket whether it hits the side chains, rim of the basket, or dead center. I haven't used it much when putting into the wind, but otherwise I liked it.

I should have driven there myself so I didn't have to leave early. I only got a few good throws in over all, but Its just good to know my driving form isn't a mess. I don't think I would have ever realized that when I would spray a flat shot my weight was too far back, it just takes another person looking at you I guess. Wish I had a better camera, it might work for a video some time.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Review Official Announcements