Champ Beast Replacement

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Champ Beast Replacement

Postby CincyKeith » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:52 pm

Hey blake,

I love my champion beast, but I have a bit of a problem. It's an original mold, and I know that when I lose it, I'm going to have to find a replacement. I was hoping to stick to something rather durable, yet still retain similar flight characteristics. It's gotta be something that I can hyzer flip with close to the same results.

I just bought a Star Sidewinder to fill a small gap (being that I had no roller disc, or long anhyzer disc) and it is a bit more stable than I expected from the sidewinder. Although it's not quite stable enough to consider it a replacement for my beast.

Was wondering if you had any suggestions. I love the fact that my beast can stay 10-15' off the ground for such a long time in order to get distance, and I have grown used to the nose down drives that I have to use to achieve a good throw with it. I know the retooled beasts are flippier but do they act the same way with this tendancy to stay low and get great "D"? If so, I believe a max weight Star Beast might be the answer.

Thanks in advance for you input, as usual. :lol:
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:22 pm

first off,

you could probably track down ~10 original mold champ beasts without much difficulty if you call places that are willing to feel the rims and/or look at stamps. all of them that have no signature or "Barry Schultz 2004 World Champion" will be old mold. a few of the 2x schultz's will be old mold. dyed is often an easy way to track these down as well. imo, you would hope by the time you went through 10 of them that there would be a driver you liked more out there.

the closest discs to the champ beast out there in z/champ plastic are going to be the z wildcat, z flash, and dga riptide, with the wildcat being most similar in flight path, speed, and glide, the flash being the longest, and the riptide being the most stable.

the star beast will probably not fill the spot you are looking for as the newer beasts are WAAAAAY flippier. they are nearly as flippy as sidewinders but slower and with less fade.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Fritz » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am

Blake,

I have a 167g 2003 Barry Schultz World Champion Beast, is this the old mold? I love this beast, it's gummy in feel and it's one of my most consistant discs that I throw. I love this disc, if I ever lose it I'll be quite bummed.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:29 am

yah, meant to say 2003 world champ ones = old mold.
Blake_T

Beast Replacement

Postby CincyKeith » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:34 am

Thanks Blake for your input,

I've decided that changing my driving style just a little bit, and switching to an Orc would most likely be the best scenario. Along with added predictability, the Orc will most likely be around for a little while, so I doubt I will have problems with them being discontinued (knock on wood).

My max distance can still be achieved with the new sidewinder, so I'm not worried about getting a little less distance with the Orc.

Hope you had a happy holidays, and have a great new year!

-Jason
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:42 am

the orc will be substantially more overstable.

will lean you harder to the flash if you get max D w/ a sidewinder.
Blake_T

Postby CincyKeith » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:40 am

I used to own a 1st run orange flash (actually I gave a review on it). It was nice, but after I hit chains with it once, it never flew the same. It became very unpredictable and would flip on me pretty badly. I know the orc has quite a bit more low speed fade, but I find it to be very accurate and forgiving to nose angle compared to my CFR Wraith and CFR Starfire-L (neither of which I could get the distance compared to my champ Beast).

My old Flash definately had the "D" but it got too flippy for me to keep in my bag. I know the Z Plastic has changed when I compare my old Flash with my new Z Avenger. If the current Z Flash had the same plastic, I might be interested in buying one.

However, I go back to review what I "need" to fill the gap in my bag and realize that I've got max D taken care of (as long as it's not extremely windy). Between the Avenger and Sidewinder, there is room for a "straight" distance disc. Super Premium plastic is not a must, but is nice for some of the wooded courses I play around here. I would like to try a lot more molds to shop and compare, but financially, that's not an option.

Overall, I think I'll continue to test a few molds here and there along with more field testing of the stuff I already have that might satisfy me enough to make a place in the bag (run on sentence).

I'm still more than happy to hear more opinions. Thanks for all of your help.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Beast156g » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:55 pm

Just bought a 174 z flash and a 174 dx Orc. And for me, the flash is much more stable than the orc. The flash has a pretty straight flight then a very large sweeping fade. The orc goes pretty straight with a normal fade, like that of a starfire or gazzelle.
Beast156g
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:05 pm

he's likely referencing the champ orc.

i really like both the pro orc and dx orc, but i find the champ orc's to be an entirely different animal as they are MUCH more low speed overstable.
Blake_T

Postby Beast156g » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:00 pm

No, my Orc is DX, but the Flash is premium plastic possibly that's the reason it has more fade. Anyway I think after playing today with my new DX orc that I have to say it's alot like a DX Beast but better. Go get one!
Beast156g
Noob

Star Beast...

Postby Fritz » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:45 pm

Anyone thrown this yet? I picked one up today I just havne't had the chance to throw it. it's a 169g. It feels a lot like the 2k3 Champ I have in my bag now.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

beast

Postby twmccoy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Yeah, the old mold beasts are not rare at all right now. I still find them in droves in the lakes. Last month alone I found 8 or so. I agree that the old mold is better. The new one to me is exactly like a sidewinder, but with a fatter rim. It's not a useless disc, but is far less consistent than the old beast.
Why did innova tweak this mold anyway? IMO it was one of their best discs.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 am

Forgive me for double posting if I've already mentioned this. Years ago, some friends wanted me to find the Innova equivalents to some Discraft discs, so they provided some discs for me to compare.

If I remember correctly, the crush was most similar to an orc at the time. And that flash was like a beast. The problem would be that not all flashes fly the same way; I'm yet to find a flash like the one I was given to test.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

flash

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Forgive me for double posting if I've already mentioned this. Years ago, some friends wanted me to find the Innova equivalents to some Discraft discs, so they provided some discs for me to compare.

If I remember correctly, the crush was most similar to an orc at the time. And that flash was like a beast. The problem would be that not all flashes fly the same way; I'm yet to find a flash like the one I was given to test.

No kidding. Every flash I throw seems different. At least with a beast you get the same flight every time. Innova discs are not color dependent like discrafts.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment