Towne Lake Course in McKinney, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Towne Lake Course in McKinney, TX

Postby BrainStorm69 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am

I heard it was going to open this weekend. Anyone else hear/know anything?
Advanced Grandmaster Eligible...
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Champion Teebird

Re: Towne Lake Course in McKinney, TX

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm

A buddy of mine from the area is supposed to know for sure by tomorrow if it'll be open for the weekend...check the DGCourseReview Forums, there's a thread for it there.

I'll be in Dallas this weekend, and as long as it's open on Saturday I'll probably be playing there around 10am.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:40 pm

in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby BrainStorm69 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 am

Rusty, thanks for the info. Let us know what you hear.
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Postby BrainStorm69 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm

My brother was out there today and said they were putting in the bridge. So hopefully it will be open this weekend. :D
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:14 am

that's crazy.... i completed the tee signs for that course like, forever ago. i know the signs were in the works almost a full year ago. i'm surprised to hear that it's just now opening!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby BrainStorm69 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:05 am

I'm going out there in about 30 minutes. Let you know about it when I get back.
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Postby BrainStorm69 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:42 pm

It was definitely up. They were having a mini. I haven't competed since the early nineties, so I just went and played the old course. It was nice to have it all to ourselves.

Maybe I'll take some time off from work this week and play the new course.
BrainStorm69
Tree Magnet

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 pm

I played the course on monday, but it started raining half way through. It's much better than alex clark, although they are somewhat similar since it's on the same creek. Long holes + lots of trees= very fun course. The signs are by far the best ones I've seen on any dfw course to date, makes it much easier for the first time around. You need a good range of shots, but you better be able to throw straight or it's gonna be a long day. The creek walls are definitely a bit too steep in some spots, so a long pole or golden retriever is advised. Plenty of parking and even a baseball field if you want to get in some field practice.

I'm glad it's finally done, since porter is still under construction I needed a new course to play. Maybe after the hail and freezing temps are gone I can play the course dry and really get a feel for it. Good work by the collin county guys, you can tell they put some love into the course. They said there is still some tree trimming to be done and alternate baskets to be installed, but otherwise it's finished.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:The signs are by far the best ones I've seen on any dfw course to date, makes it much easier for the first time around.

nice! :mrgreen:
good to hear. them's good signs.
Last edited by Leopard on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 am

Most of the signs around here look like they were made in Notepad or MS DOS, that is if they even bother to install signs, sometimes you have to guess where to go. I remember last year when you said you finished the signs, but damn it took forever to put them on the course. The huge course map on #1 is a nice touch, I was pleasantly surprised. As you can see I don't like to wander around lost on a course, it throws me way off my game.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

Just posted a review of the course: Towne Lakes DGC

A friend of mine who lives in the area said that the crooked sleeves/baskets will be pulled up and fixed soon, and that some of the signs will be redone (due to incorrect distances). Also, number plates have been ordered for the baskets. Mini on Sunday at 10am.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby geoloseth » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Is the mini going on every Sunday? I went and played with brad on Sunday. The course is pretty nice. It seems like there are a few holes that just run along the creek for the sake of having it there. It does need a little more trimming. Over all though it's a good course and save me the trip to zboaz or cedar hill. I'll try to hit one of the minis these coming Sundays. How much are they? Doubles or singles only?
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:58 am

geoloseth wrote: It seems like there are a few holes that just run along the creek for the sake of having it there.

The creek really only comes into play on 2 of the holes, and #2 is the only one that's tricky. The rest of the course is pretty safe unless you shank it and bounce off a tree into the creek.

I think the tree blocking your shot over the pond needs to be trimmed on the back 9. Just a little window to get a disc through would be nice since it's already a long hole from the blue tee, and it's a blind shot.

I'm concerned about the thorn bushes and shrubbery though, once it grows in the summer it's going to suck getting a disc out. If the water level rises I predict a lot of lost discs in the creek, but right now it's not too difficult to retrieve.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sth1oo6 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Sun. mini is singles 10 am $5 to play, $2 ace pot and $1 course fund optional. We still have a lot of work to do and would love to hear your input.
I run a non-profit home for beaten and abused rocs.
sth1oo6
Noob

Favorite Disc: beat Roc

Next

Return to Courses