Discmania

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania

Postby PRES 10 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:21 am

Ive been looking for a disc close to a wraith with a little more stablilty, kinda like a longer teebird. I was gonna use a star teerex but they are having issues with stablity so im thinking about the DD.

Are they straight with a little fade for a 450 throw? like a champ teebird for a 375-400 throw? i want the S-Line right it is the star type correct?
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby JR » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:56 pm

PRES 10 wrote:Ive been looking for a disc close to a wraith with a little more stablilty, kinda like a longer teebird. I was gonna use a star teerex but they are having issues with stablity so im thinking about the DD.

Are they straight with a little fade for a 450 throw? like a champ teebird for a 375-400 throw? i want the S-Line right it is the star type correct?

S is one of the 50 plastic blends that go by the name of Star at Innova. Haven't thrown a DD. Except Quest Double D :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Ordered an S-line Control Driver and an D-line Control Driver from DiscGolfValues.com last week...instead, he sent me an S-line Control Driver and an S-line Power Driver. I had planned on eventually picking up a PD too, and got S-line plastic for the D-line price, so I can't complain :D

Haven't had a chance to throw them yet, but I'm hoping to get some field time in this weekend. The PD feels great in the hand...very similar to an Orc or Starfire. The CD looks almost too beefy to be a "controlled" driver with that giant, blunt Teerex nose. Anyone still throwing the CD? Any new feedback/reviews?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Timko » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I throw the CD. Like I said before, TL flight path with potential Valk distance. Handles variable speeds very well. I use it more like a hybrid club in ball golf.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm

i got a new PD in the mail today, plastic is way sweet, the perfect champ/star mix.
the wing is definitely the same old OLF/FX wing as far as i can see, the top however is a strange one, without one here to compare id say its a beast top. feels great in the hand and i cant wait to toss it, i think this one has some real promise though
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby disc junkie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:i got a new PD in the mail today, plastic is way sweet, the perfect champ/star mix.
the wing is definitely the same old OLF/FX wing as far as i can see, the top however is a strange one, without one here to compare id say its a beast top. feels great in the hand and i cant wait to toss it, i think this one has some real promise though

you're gonna likey....ask further...as you already know I dig these bad boys.

I give it three weeks in your bag though....about as long as the avenger, orc, etc... right? :wink:

Dude all Discmania S Plastic for Drivers is absolute ( . )( . )
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby RustyP » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm

I was able to go out the past 2 days and throw my new CD and PD for about 45min before the sun went down. For reference, they're both S-line plastic @ 172g, and I shaved the flashing off of both before ever throwing them. The PD feels like straight Star plastic, while the CD feels more like the Champ/Star blend...very slick and shiny!

The PD seems to fly just like a more overstable Star Starfire...I'm looking forward to seeing how it flies after a few months use. I could see using a set of these in differnt plastics, weights, and stages of wear to cover all long distance drives (except maybe big turnovers / hyzer-flips...would have to throw a really beat one to find out). I'm looking forward to getting one in D-line plastic to see how it beats in.

I was really skeptical about the CD when I first got it...it just looks too beefy to be a "control" driver, but after throwing it a bit I can see that I was mistaken; it'll hold a straight line pretty well. I'd be willing to bet that a slightly used D-line CD would be dead-straight all the way to the ground. I bought this with the intention of using it as a fairway driver, but I think it's too fast for that.

When brand new, these 2 (PD and CD) seem to compliment each other pretty well. I'm going to stick both in the bag for a while, alongside my normal distance driver set-up, for some more testing in real game situations.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:12 pm

disc junkie wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:i got a new PD in the mail today, plastic is way sweet, the perfect champ/star mix.

you're gonna likey....ask further...as you already know I dig these bad boys.

I give it three weeks in your bag though....about as long as the avenger, orc, etc... right? :wink:

Dude all Discmania S Plastic for Drivers is absolute ( . )( . )

I had avengers in there for at least 3 months, OLFs for around 6. :P
it will come down to a battle between this and the OLF im sure
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Timko » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 pm

RustyP wrote:I was really skeptical about the CD when I first got it...it just looks too beefy to be a "control" driver, but after throwing it a bit I can see that I was mistaken; it'll hold a straight line pretty well. I'd be willing to bet that a slightly used D-line CD would be dead-straight all the way to the ground. I bought this with the intention of using it as a fairway driver, but I think it's too fast for that.

I use my CD for a lot of controlled distance lines. Blake once referenced the Valkyrie as the 3-Wood of disc golf, and I feel the CD could also be considered in that category. I can throw it with 3/4 power on a pretty straight line for such a big rim, which is one of my favorite qualities about it. I still haven't gotten the hang of throwing it at full power though. It seems I have good days and bad days throwing this disc, and I think I need to put less hyzer on it than I think I should.

As far as the D line, I picked up a few from DGW when I picked up my Power Drivers. Not only am I hoping that it breaks into a straight flyer, but a really beat up would make an excellent roller with such a wide rim.
Timko

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 am

Furthur wrote:
RustyP wrote:I was really skeptical about the CD when I first got it...it just looks too beefy to be a "control" driver, but after throwing it a bit I can see that I was mistaken; it'll hold a straight line pretty well. I'd be willing to bet that a slightly used D-line CD would be dead-straight all the way to the ground. I bought this with the intention of using it as a fairway driver, but I think it's too fast for that.

I use my CD for a lot of controlled distance lines. Blake once referenced the Valkyrie as the 3-Wood of disc golf, and I feel the CD could also be considered in that category. I can throw it with 3/4 power on a pretty straight line for such a big rim, which is one of my favorite qualities about it. I still haven't gotten the hang of throwing it at full power though. It seems I have good days and bad days throwing this disc, and I think I need to put less hyzer on it than I think I should.

As far as the D line, I picked up a few from DGW when I picked up my Power Drivers. Not only am I hoping that it breaks into a straight flyer, but a really beat up would make an excellent roller with such a wide rim.

Have you thrown any PDs in the D-line plastic? If so, how do they compare to the S plastic?
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby dgdave » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 am

I'm pretty sure the PDs are only in the S line
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 am

dgdave wrote:I'm pretty sure the PDs are only in the S line

Durn!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Timko » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 am

I was probably going to drop DGV an email to see if there are PDs in D plastic later today. I'll let you know what I find out.
Timko

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 am

Furthur wrote:I was probably going to drop DGV an email to see if there are PDs in D plastic later today. I'll let you know what I find out.

there is not.....yet
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 pm

I sent an email to Jussi Meresma (sp?) asking about the possibility of a D PD...hopefully he'll reply
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment