Updated Tech Standards for Targets

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Updated Tech Standards for Targets

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:38 am

This is kinda a post for Chuck Kennedy, since he is the only person who will know. Sometimes I think we need a "Ask Chuck K" section. :roll: Anyway...

The updated Tech Standards for Targets now approves them for one of three levels defined in the specs: Championship, Standard and Basic. As I read the document, "Championship" is anything A tier and above. There is also something in there about applying for a wavier.

Is the wavier going to be allowed for "Championship" play, or is approval for that level set in stone? My question concerns St. Louis, which had Gateway Titans in some parks and just installed them in a new course designed for "Championship" play. Is the St. Louis Open going to be restricted to parks that do not have Titans, or will they be able to apply for a wavier for those courses? Also, is this in effect now for 2009? I know Endicott is on the schedule for the 2009 St. Louis Open, and it has Titans. Also, do you have any idea what the status of the Titans are? I know the issue is the size of the basket attachment, but what is the status of them? Have they been denied approval, or has Dave not submitted them?

Thanks.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Updated Tech Standards for Targets

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm

The new Target Tech Specs with three levels is in effect starting today but for the moment is superseded by the 2009 Tour Standards (see page 4): http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/09T ... dsV1-2.pdf

We have to get the PDGA Competition Committee to resolve these differences going into 2010. But they haven't had a chance to do this until the Tech Specs got approved which was already in January. The Tour Standards had to be published before the end of 2008 and it wasn't clear when the Target Specs would be completed.

Regarding the Titans, Dave asked what the status was and I sent him to Homburg who has to work out the details. I think Jeff has a Titan that didn't meet the old specs but I think it may meet the new ones. So by the time of the St. Louis Open, the Titans may be approved making it moot with likely no waiver required, assuming the Titans get in the Championship category.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

The Titan kinda sums up GDS for me in a lot of ways. It is a good catching basket and some thought was put into the arrangement of the chains and the larger chains near the pole, so you have to give them some credit for that. Then they mess up the execution...the basket attachment was too big to be approved, and the chain assembly and basket attachment were obviously tooled to be on a larger center pipe than they are currently being installed on. So on the one hand you have some innovation, and on the other hand the execution stinks.

Anyway, the fact that they are not an approved target has never really been an issue. From the sounds of things, it probably won't in the the future.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Triplebogey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm

On a vaugely related tangent here, does anyone know if the DGA Mach Lite is PDGA approved for tournament play??
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby marmoset » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Triplebogey wrote:On a vaugely related tangent here, does anyone know if the DGA Mach Lite is PDGA approved for tournament play??

Absolutely.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:36 pm

On a vaugely related tangent here, does anyone know if the DGA Mach Lite is PDGA approved for tournament play??

Yes, except for NTs and Majors.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:

Yes, except for NTs and Majors.

yeah id hate to get one of those spit outs at a big tourney :(
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Return to Rules Discussion