Champ/Star/Z equivalent of Cheetah?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Amateur » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:16 am

In my experiences an XL isn't really that much faster, it just glides more. You won't get super D off of an XL unless you give it some air and a sick snap. If you're in the woods and not throwing 100% it will fly very accurately and glide yo ass out the woods and closer to the pin. Since you aren't buying another Cheetah, you will have to learn any new disc you buy to replace it. You might as well buy one that will do everything better.

I had a KC Pro Cheetah that I loved. I have been looking for a driver that comes close and nothing does. I didn't like the flight path of DX Cheetahs, then they get beaten :x .
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Glock23 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:43 am

What about the polaris LS. It has a similar flight pattern, and the plastic is great. My .02
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:00 am

because he would perfer premium plastic, I agree the LS is an aswome discs, and so is the OLS ;-), but thats alot more disc than hes looking for...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adamschneider » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:52 am

But what about the JLS/QJLS?
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Eric O » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:14 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:because he would perfer premium plastic, I agree the LS is an aswome discs, and so is the OLS ;-), but thats alot more disc than hes looking for...
This is minorly off topic but anyway... Speaking of the OLS, it just bumped Sidewinders out of my bag. Did some field throwing with a bunch of different discs and the OLS was giving me the same flight path as Sidewinders but longer and with a more consistant flip.

Back to the topic at hand, Adam, try a Z XL. I could probably even meet up with you at Pier Park some time and let you try out the one my friend has.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:42 pm

adamschneider wrote:But what about the JLS/QJLS?

qjs wouldnt be bad, jls wouldnt either, but I think both are just alittle faster than whats desired, I think the XL is a touch less stable and slower.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adamschneider » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:13 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:qjs wouldnt be bad, jls wouldnt either, but I think both are just alittle faster than whats desired, I think the XL is a touch less stable and slower.

Really? I'm not saying you're wrong, but on both the Marshall Street and GGGT "flight charts," JLS is listed as a notch slower than the XL.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a big difference in flight characteristics between JLS and QJLS? (It is like Pro vs. Champ?)

I just remembered I have a fly-dye JLS that I rarely use; I'll dig it out today, see how it flies compared to the old DX Cheetah, and report back.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm

The flight difference is the same as pro vs champ, I can tell you that.
And you are probably right about the XL and JLS, it has been a while since ive thrown a QorJLS, and its hard to judge that vs how I throw a XL now.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adamschneider » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm

Well, I just got back from the course, and here's my findings: the JLS and the DX Cheetah fly almost exactly the same. They even hit the same damn trees a couple of times. :)

They both flip up flat from a hyzer and then cruise off in a straight line about 10°-20° to the right of where I originally threw them... so, now my question is this: of the discs we've been talking about here, which will go NOT quite so far to the right? How about the XL, for example?
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

QJLS

Postby twmccoy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 pm

Try a QJLS. It has a little more beef than a regular JLS and won't flip nearly as easily. An XS would also be a good bet.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby OldTyme » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:34 pm

Agreed.

(imo)
A regular JLS has a flight similar to a slightly worn Cheetah.

Can't match a well worn Cheetah though : )

Now my Q-JLS has a flight similar to my Champ Teebird......but it (Q)doesn't skip up (as often) as the TeeBird.

(edit)
I re-read your post Adam. Yes, A Q-JLS will not get flippy. (at least I've never got it flippy). Straight flight / fade. Teebird-ish*.
Actually, a champ teebird would be easier to find.

(*my champ teebird is 155g while my Q is 168. I get similar flight & distance from both)
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:45 pm

the qjls is a good choice, the XL is a touch more stable, and a touch faster so w/ the same throw should be alittle more stable than the qjls. If you want a bigger change from the Cheatta, the XL would be great, unless the JLS is already broken in
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adamschneider » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:52 pm

After reading all of this, and playing around on the course today, now I'm thinking a Z XL is the way to go. Am I correct in thinking it'd fall somewhere between my Champ TeeBird and my JLS in the grand scheme of things? (The TeeBird, of course, isn't flippy at all, while the JLS turns just a bit too easily.)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 am

it would be closer to the JLS, like if the jls was a 0 and CHamp teebird was a 10, the XL would be a 3.5. DX teebird would be a 5, star tl would be a 4.5
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adamschneider » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:it would be closer to the JLS, like if the jls was a 0 and CHamp teebird was a 10, the XL would be a 3.5.

I can live with that. I'll definitely get the Z version.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment